Author Topic: Go Pro?  (Read 25145 times)

K1SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Go Pro?
« on: December 28, 2011, 07:02:33 AM »
For those of you who have been using one.  I guess the surf version is what most people here would recommend?  Will be using it for flatwater SUP, whitewater SUP, whitewater kayaking, hiking, skiing, general vacation stuff, etc. etc. etc.  Mostly for whitewater SUP and kayaking I think though (figure the flatwater will be a bit boring so probably will only use it for that when I am in a new place that will have some visual interes).

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions as to the best mounts to get and if any other accessories are good to have.  Figure I will get the new Hero 2. 

Have xmas money burning a hole in my pocket so plan to buy it this week I think.

Thanks
Bryan

lee19

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Go Pro?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 07:54:44 AM »
just got one for xmas....the surf version.  amazing little cam.  will take out surfing today or thursday.  used the burst and slo mo function to film son and friend shooting slapshots in the driveway....cool way to watch technique.  also used to film time lapse in a youth hockey game....lots of stuff in a very small package.  tough to go wrong......

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 08:04:58 AM »
A head or helmet mount sounds good for your use.  A deck mount lets you see your technique.

VonR

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 08:09:46 AM »
I use a couple different mounts with my GoPro. I have an FCS plug mount on a couple of my boards. I also use the handlebar mount to put the camera on my paddle. I bought the wrist mount, but it's not very useful for SUP.

I recommend getting the floaty back door just in case your camera breaks free.
Aloha,
Jeff

mjd

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • neverbored board shop
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 08:46:47 AM »
I have the Contour 1080HD.  The same one the Army uses.  I got the waterproof case and board mount this xmas but haven't been in the water yet with them.  For snowboarding it is pretty much bomb proof.  It takes good HD video and is easy to edit.   It's very light weight and inconspicuous.  It takes about five seconds to power up and power down- that's my only gripe.
You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 09:22:53 AM »
Chesty would be a good option for white water (would stay on better than the head band)

The seat post / handle bar mount is awesome for on your paddle.

my 2¢
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 09:27:36 AM »
Get the HD Surf Hero 2, and keep the plastic display box.  The mount inside the box can be cut down and made into a very nice little paddle mount.  Save the large adhesive mount for the nose of your board.  Here's a little flick I made using the home-made paddle mount:

I also bought the grab bag of mounts, and used one on my snowboard helmet.  It's super tough, and takes some really fun video.  I also have the head strap mount which is fun for all around use, but also a nice way to capture flatwater paddling.  I haven't been brave enough to use that one in the surf, although with a leash tied to my wetsuit it would probably be fine on small days.  Another must-have accessory is the anti-fog inserts.  These are key to keeping fog from forming inside the camera on warm and/or humid days.

For Christmas I got the LCD backpack, and can't wait to try it out.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 09:48:18 AM »
I really liked that.  You have a great narration voice.  The GoPro looked great when it was just you on the wave... standing with the others, the round distortion was more apparent

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 12:41:09 PM »
I'd love to see a pic of that "adapted" mount from the packaging. My only question would be the durability. I can't tell if the packaging adapter is the same kind of plastic but if you've "stress-tested" it I'd love to make something out of it if only to recycle.

Since I've been taking it easy on my shoulder I think some hummingbird footage from the yard will be my first test. ;)

jordanzs

• Malibu Status
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jordanstallard
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 12:56:34 PM »
I recently got the GoPro2.  Haven't mounted it to a board yet, but I've swam it out to Sandys twice.  Don't know how much video I'll shoot with it (shaky footage gives me motion sickness), but I'm sold on the still photo capabilities.....

SUPerstitious

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 03:08:56 PM »
Jordanzs, how big or little are those waves? I have to assume they are tiny little shore breaks, but those are amazing images.

I just got a GoPro Hero2 for Christmas. What a fun little gadget, my daughters are in love with it. Been tormenting our two cats nonstop with it.
I'm gettin' funny dreams again and again
I know what it means, but …

jordanzs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 03:12:45 PM »
They're "small' waves at Sandys, but still big enough to pick you up & throw you on the sand after taking the shot(s).  And still big enough to pull into a barrel on a bodyboard or bodysurfing.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 03:16:41 PM »
@Jordanz, those photos are fantastic.  Did you hand hold the camera to get them?  No doubt you took some beatings too, but the photos are world class!

@Surfcowboy, I was a little concerned about how tough the plastic would be, but it's held up well.  I use 4 zip ties and some industrial strength double stick foam tape and have had no problems so far.  I also secure the camera leash to the paddle with a separate zip tie.  In general, the paddle mounted camera takes less abuse than one mounted directly to the board.  What I really like is the ability to change the camera angle mid wave.  What I don't like is how weird the video looks when you are paddling.  The paddle appears to stay stationary while the rider swings back and forth! Also, since the paddle generally moves with your body and the board as you turn on the wave, you really lose the sensation that you are turning when looking at the video.  I think the fish-eye effect contributes a bit to that sensation.  These are small complaints, and in general I really like the paddle mount for it's versatility.

Next chance I get, I'll snap a photo of the mount.  I got the idea from John Ashley on his http://www.paddlesurf.net/ blog.

jordanzs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 04:10:46 PM »
Yup, handheld on photo burst mode.  I just got a pistol grip but I haven't tried it out yet.

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 05:30:35 PM »
 Hey Jordanzs, great shots! I haven't been there since '85, but those shots took me right back to a great day I spent there. Thanks for the memories! Pete.
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal