Author Topic: - Looking For Some Help With A Potential Board Purchase -  (Read 2215 times)

PaddleCrazy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
- Looking For Some Help With A Potential Board Purchase -
« on: December 07, 2011, 11:17:10 PM »
First off, like to say thanks for all of the great info that I've picked up here over the last several months.  Wanted to participate and ask several questions earlier, but was only able to get registered a couple days ago after several previous unsuccessful attempts . . . whoa.

Anyway, I've been paddling and surfing a 10'6" x 32" x 4-1/2" basic "all around" board for the past 4 months now, 2-3 days a week at Sano.  It's been a great board to learn on, but now it's getting to be the time that I'd like to move to something with a little more "performance" in mind.

Borrowed a friends 10' x 31" x 4-1/2" and had a great session on it in some 2-3 footers and pretty calm conditions.  I now have a opportunity to purchase a used PSH 9'6" All Around Wide (29 3/8") and was wondering if anyone has had some experience with any of the PSH All Around Wide boards and your opinions on them.

Just FYI, I'm weighing in at about 210-215 and in my early 50's, if that helps at all with the advice you may offer.

Thanks in advance.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: - Looking For Some Help With A Potential Board Purchase -
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 09:28:48 AM »
PSH 9'6 is a nice board IF there was a negative point to this board is that it has a lot of rocker Which in better waves is an ADVANTAGE.

If you are looking for alternatives I'd consider the Fanatic All Wave 9'6 More of a faster "Fish" feel (loose and fast)

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 10:17:14 AM »
Couple of alternatives come to mind - look at a Joe Blair (the 10' will easily float you and maybe even the wider 8-10).  Unless he's changed his policy Joe lets you borrow & demo for free - he's in Solana Beach which is not too far from San O.  Make sure you call him first - he's a one man show and not always at his shop.

Also try out some of the Coreban boards - I'm 215 lbs and the Fusion floats me fine and is plenty stable now that I've worked up to it.  You may not be ready for this one though because it's 29.5" wide and it might be tippy for a second board.  There are other models though to consider.  There's a Coreban rep on the forum that might be able to arrange a demo for you in the LA/OC area (H2OMan).

Watch Craigslist too - the boards you're considering are always for sale used (trust me - this isn't your last board).

PaddleCrazy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 11:17:24 AM »
Thank guys . . . again, really appreciate the great info.

Coincidentally, I did demo a couple of Joe's boards, the 9'6" x 32" & the 8'10" x 31.5" . . . the 9'6" worked nicely, but the 8'10" was like trying to stand on a gyroscope for me; had to find the exact "sweet spot" on the "small" board (at least for me) or I was toast.   :o  ;D  The 9'6" is still on the table though....

I have researched the Fanatic and Coreban boards and they both look very interesting . . .  thanks for the heads up on the Coreban rep here, that would be outstanding if I could arrange something, I'll PM him.

I've also looked into the following as possibilites . . .

Starboard - 9'5" x 32" Wide Point
Hobie - CJ Torque 9'6" x 29.5"
Naish - Hokua 9'6" x 29.25"
South County - "9er" and "Black Dragon"

. . . from previous posts that I've read at this site, if anyone would like to give their thoughts on any or all of those also.

And quite honestly, unfortunately cost is a consideration/limitation, so Craigslist is scoured daily and the reason I originally asked about the PSH All Around Wide, as one is available at a decent(?) price.   ***No swooping in guys!!***   LOL   ;)  ;D

Thanks in advance again....

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 02:13:53 PM »
Thank guys . . . again, really appreciate the great info.

And quite honestly, unfortunately cost is a consideration/limitation, so Craigslist is scoured daily and the reason I originally asked about the PSH All Around Wide, as one is available at a decent(?) price.   ***No swooping in guys!!***   LOL   ;)  ;D

Look regularly - whenever I'm looking I check it every few hours on my iphone - you gotta be one of the first ones to get the good deals.  CraigsPro has been an invaluable app & it was only a few bucks...  If you can be patient you might see some deals after Christmas when folks get new boards as gifts and need to off load their old ones...

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 06:00:40 AM »
can't help you with Craigslist (ing)

I also have no insight into several of your new boards. But you have a couple of inconguous boards. The Naish Hokua is less stable (more lively) design. Then you throw in the SoCo Dragon and 9Ft Which are super fun VERY easy to ride board. I (have/do) own both those boards. Construction is good as well as components. SUPER versitile between the quad fin, 2+1 And Thruster fin setups. They are all useful.

If you are interested in more specific details pop me a PM or email...I don't wanna get long winded here. Rather give you the info you want rather than my ranting on.

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal