Author Topic: rail tape recommendations?  (Read 36835 times)

rkdjones

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
rail tape recommendations?
« on: November 01, 2011, 11:15:04 PM »
I am removing some old NSI rail tape off my Starboard; it is kind of a black foam material.  The good news is that it comes off without removing paint (I warmed it up first).  So now I am looking to replace it with something thin.  I know that Rail Saver Pro has received good reviews here, but it seems a bit too expensive.  I did a little searching and found a number of products:
•   surfco $37
•   pbs custom rail tape $30
•   rail saver pro $$$$
•   puka patch rail saver $50
•   NSI rail guards $25

Any recommendations and experience, good and bad, with any of these products would help me pick a winner.

DCW

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: rail tape recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
 Naish makes nice thin rail tape that does leave any left over glue if you need to peel it off.

Not sure the price but it's good stuff.

Hope this helps!!

fms

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 02:35:05 PM »
 check out 3m leading edge tape. I've had great luck with this product. Designed for aircraft wings and helicopter blades.

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 12:39:45 AM »
I understand that rail saver pro may be expensive, in part because it is an european product and the euro value is so high, but it is really good and durable, no problems here after 6 months use on 4 boards between me and a friend. Also with the various colors & designs you can actually enhance the board looks with it.

Whatever your choice, try to get high-quality stuff. Going the cheap route and having to replace it often may not be the best way in the long run. I have read good stuff about the 3m leading edge tape, but have no direct experience.

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 01:56:36 AM »
I understand that rail saver pro may be expensive...it is really good and durable...

I'm very happy with my rail saver pro, my 14 has a fairly thin skin, the rail saver's doing a good job on it.
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 05:15:20 AM »
Aloha Tape is $40 and is on all of the rental and demo boards and paddles in my shop (except Uli's). 
A little protection goes a long way.
http://alohastanduppaddle.com/Aloha_Tape.html
Aloha,
Tom English
Aloha,
Tom English

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 07:20:53 AM »
The NSI tape and the Surf Co tape are the same. NSI is narrower so it wraps with out as much pucker . You have to be more accurate of where it is placed  .
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

rkdjones

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 08:27:06 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Robert

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 10:20:15 AM »
I'm still a Rail Saver pro fan. It will go on all my new boards except the wood Javelin. And on that too if I start using it regularly.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

MST

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 01:33:30 PM »
Yeah, after a few races and regular flatwater paddling, my rails on the wood javelin are showing signs of use so I may have to consider the rail tape.  i just hate to cover it up but I guess it will be better to protect it.  I think I will give that Rail Saver a try Bill.

Mike

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 08:56:16 AM »
The Naish branded tape is the way to go.  It's manufactured by KP2Surf, an OEM, who seems to be supplying it to Aloha as well.  It's clear, stretchy,pliable (NO pucker at all) and leaves no glue behind.  I have it on my BARK Dominator and it's virtually invisible and has protected my rails from all manner of damage.  About $35, which includes the paddle edge tape as well.  A bit spendy, but this is the ONLY stuff I'd consider using.

http://kp2surf.com/

WaterDog

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
The Naish branded tape is the way to go.  It's manufactured by KP2Surf, an OEM, who seems to be supplying it to Aloha as well.  It's clear, stretchy,pliable (NO pucker at all) and leaves no glue behind.  I have it on my BARK Dominator and it's virtually invisible and has protected my rails from all manner of damage.  About $35, which includes the paddle edge tape as well.  A bit spendy, but this is the ONLY stuff I'd consider using.

http://kp2surf.com/

Yeah great guys at KP2!  Think they supply Naish and Boarworks as well.  Like their paddle guard as well, very thin material.  Also, like rail saver pro - stuffs like armor for your board.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 08:45:23 PM »
Woohoo KP2!   ;D
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

rkdjones

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 12:17:57 PM »
Any ideas of online vendors that sell the KP2 tape, perhaps under a different name?

johnrg

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 01:27:58 PM »
Any ideas of online vendors that sell the KP2 tape, perhaps under a different name?

3M is the manufacturer of many of these films and there are others... I have 8m urethane on my car and van front end, rear of motorcyle tank, as well as small patches to ward against cable rub on my bicycle. There are a variety of thicknesses. 3M also has a few brands they manufacture for and most good window tinters carry clear film and do clear bras for cars.

I tend to just buy sections of bulk film to keep in the house. x-pel is one... http://xpel.com/
My Sprinter I had done by a local tinter who does great custom work and he uses one of 3M alternate brands, preferring it. I bought bulk film from him to have on hand and would suggest doing the same. Most are approved for OEM auto use and are removeable after warming it up a bit. I used the film on the edge of my surf paddle.

Folks sell kits for bikes and SUP's but again, it's all the same stuff I believe. Check and compare what you get for your money and also do check a local tinter for the films.

John
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 01:33:44 PM by johnrg »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal