Author Topic: Slippery shaft -- wax?  (Read 9899 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Slippery shaft -- wax?
« on: August 14, 2007, 02:28:39 AM »
first, let's get this out of the way: har-de-har ::)!

Now: the shaft on my carbon fiber paddle gets pretty slick when wet.  I've started waxing it to improve the grip but the wax doesn't hang around long.  I'm thinking there's got to be a better solution.  A trip to the bike shop yesterday showed an array of handle-wrap products from $14 to $28 that might do the job.  Anyone gone this route with success?  Other ideas?  Thanks!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Slippery shaft -- wax?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 03:22:13 AM »
I applied windsurf boom grip to my first paddle. It makes the grip fatter.

Bike grip makes it fatter too.

I know hockey tape has been used for grip.

The local SUP shop told me C4 announced a new paddle grip at the trade show last week.

Currently, I'm using a light swipe of wax on my paddle shaft. I'm happy with that. I prefer a light swipe with the wax bar applied every 3rd session over a heavier wax job. This way I don't feel the wax on the hands, but the grip is improved.

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 04:06:36 AM »
Hi, all
   C4 waterman has a paddle grip that is applies to the shaft of the paddle. If you go the the website and and scroll down the left side  menu bar to where the videos icon is and hit that several videos on the SUp sport are ready  for viewing. One Video is appling the C4 waterman grip. Check it out.
I hope this helps.   
                                    www.c4waterman.com   
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 03:38:32 PM »
something you may consider would be nitrile impregnated nylon mesh gloves for a comfortable, yet durable solution to your dilemma.

alan

whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 04:10:23 PM »
nice gloves!
as to the C4 pad, it looks pretty sweet.  problem is, it's $15 and the only shipping option offered to me on the site is 2nd day, for another $15 = $30, which i ain't gonna do.  i've dropped them an email about this but from what i gather they aren't too responsive.

meanwhile, i think i'm going to use either mastic tape or regular black electrician's tape or bicycle handlebar tape, all of which i've seen kayakers recommend, and i'm also going to make my handle a little more eliptical at the same time, maybe.

here are two google clips that talk about this:

1:  Round shaft paddles (like the low-end Carlisle's), can be "ovaled" by creating a grip area for one or both hands. Just take a 6 to 8" long strip of foam (1/4" thick by 1/2" wide window weather seal), soft rope, or something similiar, place it on the shaft under your middle knuckles while holding the paddle as you would in a boat, and wrap around it with bicycle handle bar tape, bicycle inner tube scraps, or better yet large diameter shrink tubing if you can find any.

2: HANDGRIPS:
Many paddles come with specific "grip" areas on the shaft, sometimes with an oval shape. The manufacturer is saying to you, the paddler, "This is where you will place your hands and this is the size and shape of the grip." How do they know what's most suitable for you? Many paddlers like to change their hand positions occasionally. My approach is to start with a small shaft diameter and no specific grip area. Paddlers can modify this as they see fit with bicycle handlebar tape, which is widely available, cheap, and durable. Use it to reduce the heat conductivity of the shaft if you paddle in cold water. You can layer it up to make whatever diameter you like and can make an elliptical "axe handle" section by putting pieces of tape lengthwise along the shaft and wrapping more tape around them. The elliptical grip is useful on the control hand side, where its feel will help you keep the blade square to the water. A round grip works better on the opposite "slip" side.  Handlebar tape comes in a variety of materials, colors, thickness and squishiness. All have adhesive, and all need extra adhesive to keep the free end tacked down in a marine environment. If you’re using vinyl tape, PVC Pipe Cement works well. If you have cork or foam rubber, try an elastomeric rubber-cement type adhesive like tube-repair cement. You can also use a wrap of electrical tape to hold down the loose end.

Janita K

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 07:26:34 PM »
Hey...this is a really low-tech solution but it has worked for me with a newly laquered timber outrigger paddle shaft or a stand up paddle shaft that is too new...
Before you leave the beach each time, grab a handful of really gritty sand, and rub it up and down the shaft. Takes off the 'slide' between hand and shaft and its free!! Also good for getting rid of any Sunblock cream you might have on your hands.
 ;D

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 07:56:22 PM »
I have allways used sand as a sunblock remover before enteing the water. And then a little wet sand from just in the water, and it's all gone. I use wax on my paddle, but I like the smell of wax so it doesn't bother me to have it on my hands :) .

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 08:56:18 PM »
Good tip using sand to remove sunblock on the hands before a paddle.  I have had several session starts messed up by sunblock slip.

Hockey tape have now become my choice on the Sawyer paddle I am using, which was a little slippery.  THe C4, I liked the finish but my shoulders needed more flex in the shaft.

WhySail

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 12:42:17 PM »
Check out NSI.. they make stiky back sheet foam that works well...

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=7&idproduct=117

Charlie

Honolii

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 01:47:24 AM »
Go to a craft store (Ben Franklin here in Hilo), find craft foam. They come in sheets of different thickness. I use the thinnest as my Kialoa shaft fits perfect for me. You can use a thicker one if you want to build up your shaft thickness. I just cut a piece for the size I want, contact cement on one side, contact cement on the shaft, let tack dry, carefully wrap shaft.  Instant grip! I tape up the end edges fo the foam just to clean it up. The cool thing is craft foam comes in different colors. I used red so that I can see the paddle easier in the water if I lose it.  The foam seems to be made of the same material as what deck pads are made of. I've been using it for a year now, and they are still holding up solid. The best thing is they cost like a buck a sheet and you could do 2 paddles with one sheet.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 03:45:17 AM »
great idea, thanks.  i've been using mastik tape, which has worked out well.  another thing i did is put a piece of string down the shaft before i put on the tape.  now there's a slight ridge which i can feel when i grip the paddle -- voila, instant indicator as to the paddle's orientation!

WindJunkie

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 02:49:17 PM »
I've done the same thing as honolii.  You can also get the craft foam from walmart.  It's about half the price as ben franklin.  My only gripe is that after several months the foam wears out and begins to tear.  It's not easy to remove. 

I've seen the c4 grip and it's the same as the craft foam except it has the fancy c4 logo, self adhesive, and cost $20.  Ironically I got the idea for the craft foam from the c4waterman site.  I doubt it's there now that they sell the product.

Honolii

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 04:19:21 PM »
Yup. I had a friend who I helped to remove his old grip to re-grip. The thing can be a pain to remove. I used a razor to remove the foam, and then got a mineral spirit soaked rag and wrapped it around the old contact cement on the shaft. Let it sit a bit to soften the glue, then scrape off with a scraper.
By the way, I like the string trick for orienting your paddle! Makes me want to go take my grip off and regrip it. LOL!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 08:35:32 PM »
I'm thinking of wrapping the middle 3rd of the shaft of the next paddle I make with jute and then epoxying it into place. Should look good with the wood and make for a good non-slip grip. You could do something similar with black nylon string on the carbon handle.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 04:39:27 PM »
we have been down this road a bunch with whitewahetr kayaking paddles and many of us have and use black electrical tape, great grip, doesnt make the shaft huge (which I hate-makes my hands ache), isnt slippery and looks great.  All the foam grips I have seen so far are too thick IMO. 
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill