Author Topic: Etiquette question  (Read 4059 times)

Princess

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Etiquette question
« on: August 13, 2007, 09:36:09 PM »
Hello all,

Where I am SUPing in Vancouver I am sharing space with lots of windsurfers, sailboats (esp. catamarans), hydrofoils and kayaks. It was crazy busy while I was out tonight and I was really concerned about getting run over, especially when I fall in and I'm just not as visible as someone with a rainbow coloured sail.

I do not have much of a background in any watersports, other than a bit of surfing in Tofino and surf lessons in Maui. The lessons in Maui included very firm instructions on where to be and where not to be so I feel pretty comfortable with that but I have only applied it in Tofino where there are only surfers and no other watersports.

Vancouver harbour and SUPing is totally different. The catamarans really come flying off the beach and although they usually skirt around me no problem, it is a bit disconcerting. What I basically want to know is if there is any etiquette on right of way, etc, between watersports. My husband is a windsurfer and his take on the situation is that I'm smaller so I should get out of the way. I'm sensing he is biased.

Although I do always try and get out of the way, I am curious if there is a right or wrong in this situation. Every once and a while a hydrofoil will be bearing down on me and because of the angle of the hydrofoil I doubt they can even see me. There are very few SUPers here, so they certainly wouldn't expect me to be in front of them. In fact, many of them sail past, do a double take and yell, "Hey, you look like you're walking on water."

I am sure that these moments of near collision are helping my paddling skills immensely as I certainly haul ass in this situations. Anyway, I am not asking because I plan to lull around in front of a catamaran because one of you suggested I may have right of way in certain situations, I am just curious.

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Etiquette question
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 03:07:09 AM »
Is there anywhere you can go to SUP that isn't as crowded? I try to stay in the empy Beaches around me. I cross a couple of busy Inlets, once on a while, but I try to do it quickly. I get a little nervous when I am near boat traffic also. You never know if theese guys are paying attention to the little things, like us SUP'rs.

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 04:55:30 AM »
wow... vancouver city the love of my wife! spent many an afternoon sitting on my west van perch enjoying the scenery. true dat there's hella traffic on your waters, though i have to imagine that there has to be some areas where you can find some solitude from the fray.

when navigating the "coastal" waters of the great lakes i try to use strategic positioning to prevent encounters with the larger crafts. making crossings at gauntlets where they have to be aware of their surroundings hopefully before they are under sail or in full motor. sometimes when in open waters though you just have to be vigilant and in full defensive mode. back in the day i used to paddle (prone) a mal into the boat lanes thumbing for a wake ride. once had a boater pick me up and take me on a long haul to the belmont harbor mouth then killing his engines to ask me aboard realizing that all he had on was this tiny banana hammock i refused his courtesy. at that, he point he sped off in disgust leaving me there in heavy traffic where boats entered and egressed at full steam. as i paddled north to avoid the hazards i wound up by the addison gun club where people shot skeet over the water. clay pigeons exploding overhead, the ones that survived would rain down like bombs along with the sound of gun fire; reminded me of what it would be like to surf viet nam during the war. ahhh yeah... so many ways to die.

while stand up paddling in a protected area last week, this sailboat veered out of the boat lanes (clearly marked by buoys) on a direct course towards me. as i paddled struggling to remain along side the pilot persisted on redirecting his boat into my path no matter which way i veered. i even put him directly into the wind, which slowed him down a bit but he continued to make known his intention... he was playing a dangerous game and i was going to be his chicken. close enough to see the eyes of the passengers on the prow, i stopped paddling putting my hand out in a sign of the shaka hoping upon hope for a peaceful ending to this drama, but instead all i received was the laughter that ensued. that was when i bared my paddle as a spear. thinking to myself that this would have to be a last ditch effort before i would have to put my precious board into a full breech in order to ram their hull with the intent of climbing aboard ship to pirate her and her crew. i reached over ready to peel the protective edging of the infinity paddle. recognizing that i would have to take somebody out, there was no sense in keeping it muzzled. just then the man at the helm smiled as he set across to starboard yelling "psych!" at which point the sails began to fill and as the jib came back to life again it garroted the laughing ladies in its luff. you could hear the screams as panic set in and that look on the captain's face was that of horror (precious). as i ambled off on my merry way i could make out the tone of disdain from the passengers on board as the now humiliated captain was condemned for his inattentiveness.

that's just life in the high seas for you.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 05:42:03 AM by shapeshifter »
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 05:57:48 AM »
That is my biggest fear out in the Waters. That some idiotic moron will try to be "FUNNY", and end up taking me out. I see theese types out there all the time, mostly on rented Jet-Skis. They are allways aiming at other boats, and turning, or doing 180's to spray them, at the last minute. Once in a while I see them get caught, but mostly they just take off laughing. I am glad things worked out for you, peacefully, and that jerk got a tste of Karma kicking his ass a little LOL.

Princess

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 08:29:05 AM »
I live in West Van, right by Ambleside beach. Right now I am still renting a SUP board, which is why I am restricted to busier areas. Last night was particularly nuts. It certainly sounds like others are having some close calls out there as well. There aren't too many jetskis in the harbour so at least I am getting a break there!

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 08:47:33 AM »
I live in West Van, right by Ambleside beach. Right now I am still renting a SUP board, which is why I am restricted to busier areas. Last night was particularly nuts. It certainly sounds like others are having some close calls out there as well. There aren't too many jetskis in the harbour so at least I am getting a break there!

Do you have to stay within a certain area, with the rental? See if they'll let you take it to a less corwded area. But yeah, the Jet-Skis around here are 50/50. Some of them have great respect, and know how to be safe, but most are just renters that get tossed a set of keys, with only instructions on how to start it, turn it, and make it go forward. I hae seen soo many renters try to turn a Ski after cutting the throttle off. AIN'T GONNDA DO IT, without the jet pushing it. That should be the first thing they are taught. But oh well, stay safe and have a ton of fun.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal