Author Topic: How do you SUP?  (Read 2533 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
How do you SUP?
« on: May 11, 2008, 05:25:42 AM »
What I'm asking is, do you prefer to paddle one break, or do you prefer to explore and surf many breaks during your session?

Just curious if others think like me.

There are two main posse's of SUPers on the island where I live. One gang surfs the same break, circling for hours in the same lineup.

My posse usually does 2 miles coastal runs, surfing the 5 or 6 breaks along each route. We have several routes we run depending on the mood.

For me personally, the adventure of a 2 mile session, combined with the likelyhood of scoring some magic waves along the way, is what makes SUP so special compared to prone surfing, where you are so limited.

Yesterday was a perfect example of why a 2 mile adventure pays off. At 7:30 AM I get a text message asking what the surf looks like. I respond glassy and 2 feet. The texting person responds, doesn't sound fun, I'll pass today. The rest of the posse arrives and we begin our journey. During the run we encounter some wonderful perfectly formed SUP waves. The type you can ride forever without closing out. At about the 1 1/2 mile point on our trip I scored this perfect wave. Fellow zoner CB1 captured this photo of me. The best photo anyone ever took of me. Thanks CB1  ;D

PS, if you're wondering why only 2 miles, its because we're not racing, we're surfing everything along the way. It takes anywhere from one to two hours to make the run depending on waves and wind.

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: How do you SUP?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 06:18:53 AM »
I like to do both myself and that's what I like about SUP.  Can be in one spot but can always move to another.  DW, are you located up in Myrtle Beach area?   FLew in there yesterday afternoon and saw some great waves along the coast.  Also saw the pier which I think I usually see your photos from.  Saw lots of great waves there.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 06:46:53 AM »
DW, are you located up in Myrtle Beach area?   

Nope, wrong state. I'm in North Carolina.

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 07:46:30 AM »
All Alone! This morning was epic! Thanks to all you mothers!  ;D Nothing beats stand up barrels on a stand up board!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 08:04:59 AM »
Great shot...I'm jealous of you guys that have folks you get out with commonly. I need to travel to hook up with buds.

Same here DW. On smaller days I usually paddle 3/4's the length of Plymouth beach (2 miles) catching all the way and then head out to the outer shoal. Then paddle back to my favorite nearer shore break for sunset to finish the day.

A lot depends on tides here. The nearer shore breaks only really work if its real big or, if its small, at mid to low tide. If its high tide I paddle straight out to the outer shoal since it works at any tide. Standup gives me a huge area to play in so I rarely stay put. Yesterday was an exception....biggest day so far that I've seen so staying put was an easy decision. Paddling any distance was tough too. Of course it helps that the lineup is ME.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 08:06:51 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 08:21:25 AM »
nice shot, dw.  i notice you have your leash on your front foot.  are you going switch foot there?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 09:29:02 AM »
nice shot, dw.  i notice you have your leash on your front foot.  are you going switch foot there?

No, I'm regular foot. I wear the leash on that leg because my hip is sore on the other leg.

Byronmaui

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 11:15:50 AM »
Dawn Patrol uncrowded waves. Will look for a junk uncrowded wave if all the good waves are crowded.

Aloha

Byron

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 07:52:41 PM »
   We tend to paddle several beach breaks here. Some several yards away and others miles up and down the beach. We also have offshore shoals that come alive during certain tides, swell and weather conditions.   No waves, no problem. We flat water paddle the inshore waters of marshes, creeks, bays and sounds. Stand Up opens the door for exploration in any body of water. .  When the wind is up we do down-winders for several miles.. That is the splender of Stand Up Paddle Surfing here in Southern, South Carolina..  Our County consists of 60% water.  Its a SUP playground and our little peice of heaven...
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard