Author Topic: 404 Monster 12'6" vs Bark Competitor 12'6"  (Read 6340 times)

1medic

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
404 Monster 12'6" vs Bark Competitor 12'6"
« on: October 06, 2011, 12:51:29 PM »
Looking to get a racing / training board. Has anyone out there used these 2 boards? Have any good info? I've looked at a few reviews of the 404 and a few have said the glide is lacking but can't back it up with any GPS info. So is the lack of glide a perception or reality. I'm thinking with these 2 boards it's the "Indian not the arrow". I will be using the board in all conditions.

rpmooreii

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 404 Monster 12'6" vs Bark Competitor 12'6"
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 03:20:06 PM »
I have a 12'6" 404 and I do not find it lacking in glide at all.  In addition, the fat and wide tail and increased rocker (compared to the Bark) makes it great in down swell conditions.  All that said, and in the spirit of full disclosure, I have not compared GPS results w/ both boards in identical conditions.  Probably wouldn't go wrong with either board.

...Roger

John65

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:39:23 PM »
I am still fairly new to all this and have a Competitor Pro Elite.  I paddled the 404 a few weeks ago and loved it.  There was something special about it, it just wanted to go.  But for me at 135 lbs it was too floaty.  In flat water only I am guessing it would be fine but in wind and waves more of a handfull for me.  The Bark is better I think if you weigh less.  The owner of the 404 advised me to not consider it because of the volume.  Today I was out on the bark in chop and some wind and it felt fine at almost any angle to the chop going up wind.  I think it is a board that is good in many different conditions especially for those of us who weigh less.
John

ChesSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 04:29:35 AM »
I am also new to race boards and recently purchased a 404.  I have paddled it a handful of times.  I am 200 lbs and what drew me to the 404 was the stability.  In comparison, I paddled a Yolo 12'6"x27" teak cruiser.  It was way to tippy for me.  Due to the deck contours I was wishing that I could place my feet just and inch or two wider.  I was not able to find a demo 12'6"x29" Predator which was also on my wish list.  However, after paddling the 404 I loved it.  It handled the chop well and I love it in glass flat water.  I have never paddled a Bark so I can't give any thoughts on that, but they do look pretty sweet.  Good luck.
Andrew

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal