Author Topic: Fastest for downwind?  (Read 51919 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Fastest for downwind?
« Reply #165 on: September 15, 2008, 01:08:36 PM »
Byron's right, the initial growth is in surf and I think that will always be the case as the entry point....but once folks get that they'll start to look at other aspects of standup. You just have to look at what's happened here on the zone...at 1st it was almost all about the surf....now a lot of the excitement is elsewhere, primarily in downwind (look at this post, 12 pages and still going strong), but even fishing and flatwater crusing has it's adherents. Isn't that the strength of standup? The possibilities it offers?

I've only gotten a minor taste of downwind runs but the sequence of Allan at the Mailiko to Kahului has my knickers all twisted....
http://www.youtube.com/v/GydFw3_WhCk&hl

I still check the forecast primarily for the surf but I'm also looking for the days when high wind and swell could work. I just wish i had someone to partner with.... :(
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 15, 2008, 05:27:08 PM »
I'm sure you're right Byron about the growth being in surfboards, but then that's mostly what's available to buy.  Right from the beginning on Maui there were lots of folks over on the south side that you never saw in a break anywhere. But I don't really think people are going to ignore the surfing side, I just got a little over-excited.

When I dream about getting back to Maui in November, I dream about surf.

And hey, I caught two nice walleyes today on my paddle. Let them go though. It was too early in the paddle and I didn't want to kill them anyway.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: October 02, 2008, 09:53:58 AM »
Got another chance to ride that 17'4 downwinder from SIC yesterday, this time on an incredibly fun south shore run with 2-3 foot wind swell and a good strong breeze.  Yeah...I know at over 17 feet and built for these runs, it should be fast.  Even so, this board has some juju on it...even with me driving.  The steering was on the wrong side for me, but little matter.  I was laughing at the length and ease of some of the glides.  Way fun!

stuey c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: October 06, 2008, 07:44:13 AM »

[

Hey Teene..Nice looking board...Do you have a pic showing the bottom..tail shape..and fin position?

DJ
DJ... the bottom is mostly flat... rails are rolled with no edges... the tail has a Hydro vee... fin box is 2' up from tail... not much time on it... it has a lot of glide and goes well in small down wind surf
have you  or anyone heard of the "penetrator" out of Australia... comments on that design...

Hey I've heard of the Penetrator, I made it and the one in the pic is my very first attempt. It was 16' long and went quite well for a first attempt though it was very quickly superseded and became known as the Seaslug! I'm now on the 4th generation an 18'8" model which is called the "Penetrator" 572 they've all been built to my own unique design, quite different to what anyone else is doing. The 572 weighs 12 1/2 Kilos and goes like a rocket!......Stuey

stuey c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: October 06, 2008, 07:57:25 AM »
Regarding the "PENATRATOR" SUP.  Check out this You Tube Video about its design:

Hey, you guys have got everything on me. That's the 2nd generation "penetrator" it's another 16' that proved to myself and my test pilot Woogie Marsh that we were definetely moving in the right direction. It's the first board I produced with the carbon "exo-frame"........Stuey

stuey c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: October 06, 2008, 08:36:35 AM »
Woah!!  I only found this site a few hours ago and was stoked to see some of my Penetrator boards featured. It's now 2.30 am OZ time but I just couldn't stop reading! I wish I lived in Hawaii and could work with all you guys there. I've been basically on my own here in Australia and have been going hard trying to convince everyone here how awesome this latest incarnation of the sport is. I've been stoked though as I had just about given up on the surfboard industry when downwinding popped up and I found I could fuse my 35 years of boardmking skills with my 25 years of yachtbuilding experience. The result has been the Penetrator models which just keep getting better. The brand new 572 was only launched 5 days ago, it's somewhere around 30% faster than it's 16' predescessor and I've already thought of some improvements that I'm incorporating into the new one I started shaping Woogie yesterday plus my new steering system I've designed is coming along and looks like being a very simple and effective unit. Exiting times!.....Cheers, Stuey

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: October 06, 2008, 08:47:49 AM »
Woah!!  I only found this site a few hours ago and was stoked to see some of my Penetrator boards featured.

Stuey,
Do you have a website for your gear?  If so. post ite here, and we will get you added to our Manufacturer list.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard