Author Topic: Fastest for downwind?  (Read 51926 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Fastest for downwind?
« on: May 08, 2008, 05:41:21 PM »
This is a call out to the folks who are already involved in Downwind Standup.  What is the fastest downwind board you have ever paddled?  If you have padlled more than one, please compare.  Interested to know experiences and if anyone has ever jumped on a model that has made you think, "damn, this thing screams!".

We are looking for boards designed only for making time (not for waves, fishing, or general purpose use).

We are very interested to learn from your trials.

Thanks!

Randy

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Fastest for downwind?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 06:32:34 PM »
I'll be real interested to hear this too. The new Starboard point looks awful sexy. I'm hoping I can somehow get one to borrow for the challenge. If the folks at Starboard would be so kind....I need to talk to Bill and ask him to talk to Mark and ask him to talk to....
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 08:12:58 PM »
You talking mainland or HI downwind paddling ?  We're on it this Saturday.

2008 Malibu Downwinder: http://www.hometown.aol.com/gfortunelg/page1.html
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:04:03 PM »
You talking mainland or HI downwind paddling ? 

I guess I don't know.  We have recently been looking at some flat water with pretty strong winds, and we have decided to join in.  I was in Second Wind and got an eyeful of the C4 Vortice, and I guess some of the carbon ones are coming too. 

I am interested to know about these guys.  Is lighter for sure better?  Does a bit of extra weight hurt?  F-16, Starboard Point, Vortice Carbon, Vortice Foam.  Any other production models?

I just want to go faster with less muscle and less skill  :D

What do you know?

Byronmaui

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:08:32 PM »
I know that I should not go into Second Wind anymore. They had vortices everywhere I looked. I became so blinded all I remember is putting my name on an XP when they arrive. Should be good in the surf but not sure about downwind. Sorry I wish I could help.

Aloha

Byron

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 07:26:52 AM »
I know that I should not go into Second Wind anymore. They had vortices everywhere I looked. I became so blinded all I remember is putting my name on an XP when they arrive. Should be good in the surf but not sure about downwind. Sorry I wish I could help.

Aloha

Byron

Hahhh!  You too huh?  That standard foam Vortice on the cieling looked really good to me, and has me wondering about the Carbon model.  But....26.25 wide has me thinking that I may be spending a whole lot of time balancing and not really as able to give it my all (and I haven't got that much all).  27.25 is right in there with my normal wave board...so...

We see tons of guys going Maliko to Kahului and kind of just doddling along, but lately I have seen some folks on longer boards just screaming past (almost at OC-1 speed) with tons of glide and it has me way interested for those flat windy days. 

Has anyone paddled both?  Others?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 07:40:50 AM by Admin »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 08:42:54 AM »
You shoulda jumped on the Vortice at the showcase when you had the chance Rand. I didn't try it either. Didn't want to look like  a complete idiot. I definitely want to try my hand...and feet...on something made for distance now though.

You guys are lucky to have shops where you can go look at least. Just a small number of shops here even carry standup boards and none have distance boards that I know of.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 08:48:19 AM »
Byron, why would the C4 XP be "good in the surf but not sure about downwind?"  Just curious.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 09:14:04 AM »
You shoulda jumped on the Vortice at the showcase when you had the chance Rand. I didn't try it either. Didn't want to look like  a complete idiot. I definitely want to try my hand...and feet...on something made for distance now though.

You are soooo right.  Truth is that I had absolutely no interest in that side of things for the longest time.  But seeing that glide...

Time to tool up.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 09:17:39 AM »
Just read this article and it had some cool info. 

http://www.standuppaddlesurf.net/2008/03/28/f-176-and-the-ass/#more-359

I am mostly peaked by the talk of weight as an asset when it's windy.  What do you guys think?

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 10:02:20 AM »
Once i went for a race on flat water. I didn't have any board for that, so i took the heavy and wide kayak i use to go fishing. I came second and first looser. The best board i've ever tried is the winner's light board: 12'x27". You can see the two boards  on this photo:

Byronmaui

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 10:09:43 AM »
Byron, why would the C4 XP be "good in the surf but not sure about downwind?"  Just curious.
Knowing me I will probably use it in the surf more then downwinding it.

Randy one of my friends is a top 1 man paddler in Hawaii and he told me lighter is better because it is easier to get and keep the glide going downwind. I don't know how true that is but his results certainly have influenced my decision on lighter is better. Now if there is a headwind you definetly will be out of luck. Just my dime sense.

Aloha

Byron

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 10:28:09 AM »

Knowing me I will probably use it in the surf more then downwinding it.

Hi Byron,
Did you see this warning label on the C4 page?  I was told this board is pretty fragile.

http://store.c4waterman.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=C4VORTICEXP
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 10:31:04 AM by Admin »

Byronmaui

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 11:00:56 AM »
Thanks for the warning Randy. I would think this board must be strong because in the open ocean I would believe there is alot of abuse going on. Hopefully my thinking is correct or it will all be a waster of money. Oh well I am trying to get a demo of one so I can be sure of what I am doing. I am almost tempted to get the F16 because that is a proven winner. Well see what happens because if there are alot of swells then my mind will get off the downwind trip that I am experiencing and back into the surf mode again.

Byron

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 04:12:56 PM »
Thanks for the warning Randy. I would think this board must be strong because in the open ocean I would believe there is alot of abuse going on.

I was told that it is plenty strong for everything you might throw at it in normal open ocean use, with the caviats that it was not made for breaking surf and that you need to be more careful than usual about knocking it into things (hard impact).  Man, I wanted to be out on one today!  I may just pony up for one of the standard models. 

Best,
Randy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal