Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 551727 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #1470 on: September 13, 2013, 11:09:40 AM »
The Wiki gives you a wider range of use, in my opinion. It may be small but it catches very hard. To me, in use it feels more like a 100 square inch paddle from, say QB in terms of catch. In the windy sea conditions you get in the afternoons in Mallorca, over long distances I certainly wouldn't want any bigger. You could even go a little smaller, if they made one.

But actually, I'm not sure that it's not the shaft choice that is more important than the blade size. With differences in blade size, I find I can compensate in cadence and technique as needed. But it is hard to compensate for a shaft that is too stiff or too flexy for you. I think it's the shaft perhaps more than the blade which is responsible for "catch shock" - the effect of the sudden strain upon your muscles as you weight up after the catch, which is so tiring on long paddles. Your mileage may vary.

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #1471 on: September 13, 2013, 01:50:10 PM »
Area10,
I agree with you, the Wiki's catch is equal to or even greater than say a 100 QB.  I also agree with PonoBill's comments that the KeNalu paddles reward good paddle discipline.  Paddle past your feet, or less than perpendicular to the side of the board and the paddle will cause strain and fatique.  I too often paddle in less than ideal conditions, side wind, chop, large open ocean swells, into the wind, and I get killed when I have my Maliko.  In downwind or flaterwater, not a problem.  My go to paddle has been a Wiki with a Xtuff (s) shaft.  I've had to go much shorter on the paddle compared to my other brand paddles with less catch.  You are so right though, this works for my size, my physique, my board, my technique, my ocean conditions. 

Paddle selection is a personal preferance and what works for many, may not work for a select few for whatever reason.  I was the first in my area to order a KeNalu despite having a quiver of QB paddles.  I'm happy with my choice.  Got my fiance a QB fiberglass paddle because even the Wiki would be way too much paddle for her, oh, and because the QB was offered in pink. 

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1472 on: September 13, 2013, 03:14:39 PM »
I agree with you Area 10. The choice is on two dimensions. The blade size and the shaft type. From what I read around and hear a wiki blade with xtuff(s) or 90 flex shaft might be the right choice for a long distance paddle. But without testing it, difficult to say.
One of my friends paddled the last two days of SUP 11 with his small size Mistral Gold Edition paddle and was very happy with it. I will test it too. ( he was paddling the first 3 days with his SIC paddle but broke it when it got stuck under a bridge :-)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #1473 on: September 13, 2013, 05:51:54 PM »
It's very personal. My go to for most use is a molokai with a 100 flex. I change the shaft length only. I sometimes switch to a maliko with an xtufs. I paddled that combo in this years CCBC and my shoulders were fine. I surf with a molokai at 1-2 inches over head, distance 6-7 inches. Wikis feel too small to me. I've tried them frequently and just don't get enough for me. That said I'm going to try one again Sunday on the Speedboard...that board demands a very high cadence and not a lot of pull.

I know Bill says that size doesn't seem to matter as far as preferences go but how big are you guys? I think my size is the primary reason I don't use a wiki.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 05:54:34 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1474 on: September 14, 2013, 12:50:10 AM »
I've been fairly busy over the past few months & have been relying on the email notifications to let me know when new posts to this thread happen. I had some time today so I thought I'd check in.  To my surprise (almost horror) I found there's been about 3 pages since I last got any notification. I just finished reading everything I've missed (I have read every single post on this thread now) & saw there was a couple of things I would have liked to chime in on but they've been discussed & put to bed now so doing so wouldn't do much good. Anyway, I feel bad for having neglected some of these things & I'll try & do a better job of checking in more often.

On a positive note, what's been keeping me busy is working on some new stuff that I think is pretty exciting. I've learned enough (the hard way) from the past not to start speaking of things while they're still in the works but I'm hoping to have some new stuff coming online soon, at the very latest (I REALLY hope) by next spring. So stay tuned...

I really appreciate the comments made in this thread & not just the "love" it's good to hear everyone's perspective & you can bet that I do listen.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: September 14, 2013, 05:54:42 AM »
I totaly agree with you all that one should try the paddle first. The problem I have is that there is no KeNaLu paddle in Spain to test. I talked to Lane couple of times about it and he is looking for a Spanish distributor but no success so far. I checked with my contacts as well and most of them sell established brands already. The only option is to get it from the UK distributor but I am reluctant to order a paddle before testing. I can test all the other brands and types here in Mallorca.

My good friend, Cesar Garcia, lives in Candas, Spain part of the year (he's there now). He uses Ke Nalu's exclusively. PM me for his email and maybe you two can connect... Paddle on,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: September 19, 2013, 07:55:37 PM »
Just got my Ke Nalu paddle today and went around Ross Island with gorgebob.  Only reason I didn't get one long ago was that there was nothing wrong with my Quickblade.

The Ke Nalu feels and looks more refined.  Felt comfortable to me instantly.  It feels like you're sticking the paddle into Jello or concrete rather than water--really grabs and holds.  It certainly felt faster.  Next time out I'll time myself around my usual course so I can get an objective time comparison.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: October 13, 2013, 09:04:24 PM »
Glad you liked it PDX
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: October 13, 2013, 10:19:02 PM »
The bad news is that buying it seemed to jinx the weather.  Have only been out sporadically, and not in any conditions where I could do a real timed comparison.  I am sure I'm going faster than with the Quickblade for any given conditions.

I look at the Ke Nalu next to the Quickblade and think, if these had both been done by the same designer, which one would have come first?   Clearly the Quickblade.  Each part of the Ke Nalu looks like a more refined version--blade shape, connection of blade to shaft, texture of shaft...Nobody would go the other direction with the design with any of the components--it would be going backwards.

Paddle looks good in my living room when not paddling, esp. with the Jolly Roger-pattern hockey tape I put on the shaft. 

SUPviking

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: October 14, 2013, 05:38:48 AM »
Hey Zoners!  I finally got registered so this is my first post. I have been following the Zone for a while and really appreciated all the valuable input everyone provides. Based on your feedback I purchased a Kenalu Wiki Elite with a 100 shaft and extend ergo handle about 6 months ago. I could not be happier with the choice. (FYI I am a 5' 10" 150 lbs, and 50 yrs old. Been paddling for about a year all flat water stuff). I had a Riviera Vantage 8.5 paddle and it was just too much surface area to keep turning during races. The Wiki allows me to keep the cadence up. My last race ended in a two up sprint for second place which I got and without a doubt the fact that I was able to really jack up the cadence in the last 75yards was THE contributing factor for getting second place. I have had no shoulder issues despite the 100 shaft. I believe the smoothness of the Kenalu in the water is one reason why.
I would like to give a nod to Kenalu customer service as well. The first Elite blade I ordered had a slight blem. Contacted Kenalu  and they sent me another blade ASAP no questions ask and just ask me to ship the blemished blade back after I got the new one.
Riviera Voyager 12'6"
Hovie Comet 12'6"
KeNalu Wiki Elite/100 shaft

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1480 on: October 14, 2013, 07:09:12 AM »
PDX,could you elaborate on which QB paddle you have and what KeNalu you just got. I ask because I have Kanaha 90 and a Kialoa Hapa adjustable large blade. I'm seriously looking at KeNalu with adj.feature but don't know which combo to consider. I'm 62 yrs. old,5'7 and 180lbs. I only do long distance tours and island hopping..no racing,no surfing. Kanaha is all fiberglas with 30 SSI shaft. 90 sqrs. don't seem to be enough but the large Kialoa(100sqrs?) pulls kinda hard..could be the large shaft and the heavy weight of the adjustable but I've been paddling it for several months just sinking 2/3 of the blade.
 I'm thinking the mid-size Maliko blade wit XTUFF shaft(most flex) for my age and just touring. I'd go Wiki blade but I have a medium,smooth cadence. I never use a fast cadence anymore. Oh,Pono,my 1st car was a Bugeye Healey,then a 3000. Thru the years I've resored 2 TR3's. the last one sold to a guy overseas. THANKS for any input on a paddle recomendation for me.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: October 14, 2013, 12:58:58 PM »
Hana--I have a Quickblade Kanaha 100 adjustable, and a Ke Nalu with the Maliko (95) blade and regular (not xtuff) shaft.  I haven't tried any scientific comparison, but the Maliko at 95 is comparable to the Quickblade at 100.  I figured I couldn't go wrong with the Maliko--may try the Wiki or Molokai sometime, but feel like that will be more out of curiosity than any need to change.  Ponobill recommended the regular shaft since I have no shoulder problems, and it feels fine to me.  I've never tried the xtuff so don't know how that compares other than what I've read.   

The Ke Nalu felt comfortable instantly.

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1482 on: October 14, 2013, 04:18:50 PM »
THANKS,the Maliko was the blade I thought would be right for my cadence and just touring long distance. I'm interested in the adjustable feature also. Is the new lever clip for adjustable use or just for a 2 piece shaft?

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1483 on: October 14, 2013, 08:18:50 PM »
Hana, as you describe things it sounds like the Maliko would likely be a good choice for you. As pdx mentioned (& others have made the same comparison) the Maliko at 95 sq. in. feels more like a Kanaha at 100 sq. in. this is likely due to the strong catch of Ke Nalu blades. I think since your not a high cadence paddler you'd prefer a Maliko over a Wiki. Regarding the new Quick Clamp adjustable shafts; It is intended as an adjustable (more info. on our website) but it is a Two piece shaft also. It isn't a tapered shaft like our others, both ends maintain the same diameter (the handle end is smaller to slide inside the blade end. Our standard handles work due to this smaller diameter). The Quick Clamp shafts feel a bit stiffer and they are heavier. You might want to consider the other adjustable, it's not as easy to use since adjustment is made by loosening allen screws but it's a sturdier adjustable & it's able to maintain about the same weight (if installed as per instructions) & since it's used with our standard shafts the flex characteristics are basically the same.

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1484 on: October 14, 2013, 08:24:20 PM »
OK,thanks for the info on the 2 adjustment offerings. I don't mind the allen wrench set up and like the lighter weight. Do you think the XTuff shaft is about right flex?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal