Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 551746 times)

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #1425 on: July 20, 2013, 04:17:26 PM »
My xTuf(S) shaft seems a lot stiffer than I expected based in what I read.  I tried a friend's paddle which was the same blade as mine (Maliko), but he had the Elite shaft and non adjustable handle.  Not sure if it was a 90 or a 100.  I have the extended Ergo T.  It seemed to me that there was much more flex in the Elite shaft than the XTuf(s).  what gives?  I thought the XTuf(S) (80) was supposed to have more flex than the elite(90-100)?  Could it have anything to do with the Extended Ergo T handle, or are there variations in production shaft strength versus the spec?  Note that I am a fit 200 lb weightlifter, so I am very capable of bending a paddle.  I can detect almost no flex in this shaft, which always had me wondering why.     

weird...  obviously, the first question would be...are you sure it's an xtuf shaft?  Or maybe he had a more flex Elite, not the 90 or 100....
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: July 20, 2013, 04:44:50 PM »
Yeah, it had the 80 sticker on it when I got it and the fiber is unidirectional in the shaft.  The paddle I tried had a full carbon fiber shaft and an Ergo handle, not extended.  His was a bit lighter than mine.  Same Maliko blade.  Seems like I recall in reading the volumes on this thread that Pono Bill said that they had possibly underrated the stiffness of the xTuf(S) shaft.  If the paddle I tried had a 90 or 100 rating elite shaft, then I would say mine is 110 or better in stiffness.  Anyone have a clue here?       
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: July 20, 2013, 04:58:07 PM »
I have the XtufS (80) and the Elite 100 and the 100 is stiffer.  Maybe having the extended ergo t handle all the way in could make it stiffer, I don't know.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: July 20, 2013, 05:53:18 PM »
Just saw this, thought I should chime in...
I have a new XTuff S with a elite Molokai blade - it's definitely the xtuff s as it has the new sticker on it - and although I don't have another Kenalu to compare it to, in comparison to both the QB elite (110 blade) and a Zaveral, there is a different feel to the shaft...I can't say its stiffer or more flexy, just different.  I'm guessing its a flex thing because it seems to like a slower cadence while maintaining energy...

It's also heavier than I expected..

My 2 cents.
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

1medic

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #1429 on: July 21, 2013, 10:14:59 AM »
When going to bigger blade, wiki to Maliko, do you add the extra length of the blade to overall paddle length to allow you to bury the entire face?

Yes, That is what I did with my Maliko and Molokai paddles.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #1430 on: July 21, 2013, 10:39:31 AM »
Then I cut it too short, I noticed my back hurting from bending more.  Let's see if I can extend the handle enough to get by w/o another extended ergo T...
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: July 24, 2013, 06:52:02 PM »
Water got in the shaft the other day during an aggressive session.  I don't see any cracks or holes.

Today I submerged the paddle underwater in the pool...nothing.
Moved it around underwater hoping to see bubbles, and still nothing.

I'll undo the handle and drain the water.
For now, I'm at a loss as to where water could've entered.  Both ends were properly glued and tape was thoroughly wrapped around. No signs of leakage.

Any ideas?

X-Tuf shaft with a new Wiki blade.

-CS

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: July 24, 2013, 07:20:49 PM »
Heat both joints up, give them a twist and a wiggle, line everything up and let it cool. All it takes to get a leak is a pinhole and differential pressure. Paddle sits in the sun--air escapes as the shaft heats up to 150 degrees. Stick it in the water and it flash cools to 65, and pulls a festive vacuum. Anyplace that can suck water in, will. Good news is that it's hot glue.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: July 24, 2013, 07:30:55 PM »
I haven't posted on this thread in forever. Today, I went for a distance paddle in the river behind my brother Adam's house in Ft Lauderdale. I used his old Werner bent paddle. We paddled for about two hours through the mega yachts and cool houses.  Not strenuous, just talking and paddling... An epic dawn patrol of a different sort.  I NEVER have shoulder issues. I have been paddlining ke nalus both x tuff and elite shafts with wiki molo and mali blades for two years, sometimes for six hours without pain. I am sitting on a plane and just blasted a bottle of Malbec to numb my shoulder. (Don't worry, using a car svc for ride home... Fark, I think I will have another... :) )

The cult of ke nalu lives. Shipping a KN to Adams house for my next trip.

It's just a better mouse trap ... It is.

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: August 25, 2013, 10:29:48 PM »
Yeah, it had the 80 sticker on it when I got it and the fiber is unidirectional in the shaft.  The paddle I tried had a full carbon fiber shaft and an Ergo handle, not extended.  His was a bit lighter than mine.  Same Maliko blade.  Seems like I recall in reading the volumes on this thread that Pono Bill said that they had possibly underrated the stiffness of the xTuf(S) shaft.  If the paddle I tried had a 90 or 100 rating elite shaft, then I would say mine is 110 or better in stiffness.  Anyone have a clue here?       

I could just be a manufacturing defect--an extra wrap of carbon on the mandrel. Almost never happens--after all, carbon is expensive, but I came across a 100 Flex shaft once that probably had TWO extra wraps, at least according to my rough calculations done by measuring wall thickness. It was super stiff. I made a rack for my three wheeler out of it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: August 27, 2013, 05:26:01 AM »
Bill, that sounds like what I am thinking has occurred.  Just got a recent photo of me at the finish of a local race, where I was sprinting the finish and completely cranked on the paddle.  Muscles were popping out like The Hulk and paddle vertical, but very little bend in the paddle.  Seems to fit what you have described.  Did you say in a past post on this thread that the xTuf(s) was tested out as stiffer than was measured previously?  Seems like I recall you saying that it was closer to 90-100 than 80.  My imagination or what?   
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: August 27, 2013, 06:24:41 AM »
No, that's more or less correct. the xTuf(s) bends a little differently than the 100Flex. Most composites flex in a non-linear fashion. As you add weight they "stack" which means it takes more weight to move the next increment than the previous increment took. The Xtuf(s) bends more easily for the first inch or so than the 100Flex, but it stacks quicker and becomes as stiff after a few inches of flex.

Wood_Ogre

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: August 27, 2013, 02:23:52 PM »
add weight they "stack" which means it takes more weight to move the next increment than the previous increment took.   You just made that (stack) up didn't you Bill !!!  ;D Of coarse when a woman is stacked it would take more to move her too, just cause she is heavier !  ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: August 27, 2013, 06:03:19 PM »
Actually no, it's a composite engineering term that was appropriated from archery. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1034312
Not that I'm averse to making stuff up...

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: August 27, 2013, 08:40:03 PM »
Bill, Thanks for the insight.  That seems to also fit with what I was feeling.  Check out the picture where I was cranking down on the paddle.  You can see the strain on my triceps, but the paddle is hard even bent!!  It is very stiff.  I am guessing I have an extra wrap or two on this shaft. 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal