Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 551958 times)

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #1410 on: July 02, 2013, 02:01:49 PM »
Just grabbed a new handle today and noticed the new ones are hollow instead of foam-filled... feels lighter than the older ones.  Any drawbacks to the hollow design?

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: July 02, 2013, 03:32:39 PM »
Just grabbed a new handle today and noticed the new ones are hollow instead of foam-filled... feels lighter than the older ones.  Any drawbacks to the hollow design?

Hollow? That's news to me. Which handle did you get? Maybe Lane will chime in but heard there was an earthquake in/near Sumatra today. Lane lives nearby in Phukett, Thailand. Hope all is good with him and his...    Paddle on,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1412 on: July 02, 2013, 04:16:31 PM »
I got the ergo T, picked it up from Neverbored in northern RI. They have a great selection of boards and are fully stocked with Ke Nalu components. The handle feels super light when holding the older one next to it.  Identical in shape. The new one has different glue too, and a lot more of it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: July 02, 2013, 04:57:26 PM »
Yeah, I saw the new handles at Big Winds also--hollow. Nice work.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #1414 on: July 03, 2013, 11:29:25 AM »
When you get a new extended T handle, it has the glue on the end of the plug. It seems to me, when you heat it and push it into the shaft, the glue gets spread too thin because of the length of travel necessary. I just took it off the end and reapplied just below the top edge of my chosen height. My thinking is: the glue will stay thicker and provide a better bond. I have not used it yet.
Thoughts?

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #1415 on: July 03, 2013, 02:31:18 PM »
The Kenalu bags don't work well with Kenalu paddles. When carrying two, as I always do, the rough texture of one shaft scrapes up the handle of the other when pulling a paddle out of the bag. My handles are white with scrapes. The separator flap should go full length. I'm putting old socks over the handles now.

Socks works great  :) Thanks!

Henrik F
crosswater.se

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1416 on: July 03, 2013, 03:22:30 PM »
Whew! Glad you found some old socks, it's too expensive to ship anything to ya.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #1417 on: July 03, 2013, 06:20:08 PM »
When you get a new extended T handle, it has the glue on the end of the plug. It seems to me, when you heat it and push it into the shaft, the glue gets spread too thin because of the length of travel necessary. I just took it off the end and reapplied just below the top edge of my chosen height. My thinking is: the glue will stay thicker and provide a better bond. I have not used it yet.
Thoughts?
When I put them on I always end up with a rim of glue at the interface. I always make the last adjustment with a slow twist and slide in. You can see the glue get pulled into the joint. When it is still hot enough to swipe I burn the tip of my finger by running it around the ridge to even it all out. Sometimes I tape it...sometimes not.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1418 on: July 04, 2013, 02:04:19 AM »
Whew! Glad you found some old socks, it's too expensive to ship anything to ya.
;D

Henrik F
crosswater.se

pguidry

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1419 on: July 18, 2013, 06:58:51 PM »
I'm getting ready to travel with my paddle next week.  I plan to pull the blade, pre-glue it, then re-assemble it when I get to my destination.

How do I pre-glue the blade?  How much glue do I use to put it back together?

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1420 on: July 19, 2013, 04:12:16 AM »
I'm getting ready to travel with my paddle next week.  I plan to pull the blade, pre-glue it, then re-assemble it when I get to my destination.

How do I pre-glue the blade?  How much glue do I use to put it back together?

If you don't have a glue gun you can just heat some glue up in a pot (the bottom "cup" of an aluminum can works well). When I used to do it this way I used a broken hack-saw blade to spread the glue like a butter knife (I still use the blade with a glue gun, it helps get an even coat of glue). It's better to use too much glue than too little as any excess will just squeeze out the bottom. You want to make sure you have a good bead of glue all the way around the joint when the part is inserted. There's some pictures in the Adjustable installation instructions that show how much glue I put on: http://www.kenalu.com/paddle_adjustable.html] [url]http://www.kenalu.com/paddle_adjustable.html[/url]. These instructions, as well as Pono's videos on the site could help you also.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1421 on: July 19, 2013, 04:14:33 AM »
Not sure what happened with the link. Just cut-n-paste this:

http://www.kenalu.com/paddle_adjustable.html

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: July 19, 2013, 11:59:31 AM »
Most times you can just heat the ferrule up with a hair dryer, warm the inside of the shaft, and put it back together with a twisting motion... No added glue required. I did it myself this morning when I swapped blades on two of the paddles I brought to the challenge on the Charles.

If you need more glue you don't need much. Just a dab on the end of the ferrule will do as long as you get it well distributed by twisting.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: July 20, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »
My xTuf(S) shaft seems a lot stiffer than I expected based in what I read.  I tried a friend's paddle which was the same blade as mine (Maliko), but he had the Elite shaft and non adjustable handle.  Not sure if it was a 90 or a 100.  I have the extended Ergo T.  It seemed to me that there was much more flex in the Elite shaft than the XTuf(s).  what gives?  I thought the XTuf(S) (80) was supposed to have more flex than the elite(90-100)?  Could it have anything to do with the Extended Ergo T handle, or are there variations in production shaft strength versus the spec?  Note that I am a fit 200 lb weightlifter, so I am very capable of bending a paddle.  I can detect almost no flex in this shaft, which always had me wondering why.     
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1424 on: July 20, 2013, 03:51:28 PM »
When going to bigger blade, wiki to Maliko, do you add the extra length of the blade to overall paddle length to allow you to bury the entire face?
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal