Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 553186 times)

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #135 on: November 24, 2011, 09:13:26 PM »
One more thing occurs to me concerning arm and shoulder pain, though it applies more to the Maliko and Molokai than the Wiki. If you don't get the paddle out early, either by winging it out with a Hawaiian stroke or lifting it with a Tahitian, you're going to be lifting water. It might not feel like a big deal while you're paddling, but it's an unusual load.

We designed these paddles to reward a good stroke. We thought that meant that only intermediate or advanced paddlers would benefit from them, but some of the feedback we're getting from customers tells us that beginners are finding the paddles useful to help force them into a better stroke. I know the feedback you get from goofing off is pretty strong. We'll see how that plays out.

Interesting.

I have a Maliko (thanks JC!) and experienced a little shoulder pain after my first session with it. I had a reco on that shoulder a couple of years ago and the AC joint has been somewhat modified. I assumed what I was feeling was because I had it cut too long (which might be the case anyway) but I haven't spent enough time on the water with it to be sure.
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 24, 2011, 09:36:47 PM »
You may do this in the videos on paddle length, but I don't recall it.  I would advise folks to use the paddle a few inches longer than they are used to before cutting the paddle down to their usual length.  I cut mine to the length of my surf paddle (that I have used for a long time) and find that it slips into the water so nicely on the extension and plant, that another two inches would probably allow me a demonstrably more powerful stroke without increasing fatigue... Or maybe don't tell em and then Try and sell them the extension...  :)

Had the Molokai out with the push plus today... And the enigma... Really concentrating on using the lower arm as a lever right after engagement (which forces me to remove the paddle sooner and forces a quicker stroke)... It did not noticeably over power the push plus... I think my body is getting used to the extra ponies and I am weight shifting better... Now i have to to go back and try the Molokai again with the super small SUP the collab...
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 25, 2011, 08:13:44 AM »
One more thing, the ergo handle I LOVE.  I lent the paddle to a friend today... And besides him complaining about the blade size,  ;D, he thought that the ergo handle was way too big for his hands... I have pretty big hands so it fits me perfectly... Maybe just some info on the site that the ergo handle is pretty beefy (again, that may be on the site and I missed it)

I am not very gentle on my stuff. The paddle still looks great. AND I love how the wax fills in the texture on the shaft... Just the right grip.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2011, 08:44:06 AM »
One more thing, the ergo handle I LOVE.  I lent the paddle to a friend today... And besides him complaining about the blade size,  ;D, he thought that the ergo handle was way too big for his hands... I have pretty big hands so it fits me perfectly... Maybe just some info on the site that the ergo handle is pretty beefy (again, that may be on the site and I missed it)

I am not very gentle on my stuff. The paddle still looks great. AND I love how the wax fills in the texture on the shaft... Just the right grip.

Tim

I think that the ergo handle is described as "for bigger hands" or something like that on the site.

Henrik F
crosswater.se

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 26, 2011, 05:09:16 PM »
I had a few attempted phone calls over the last few days that looked like they might be paddle related. My long suffering iPhone finally rolled snakeyes--I could see calls coming in but the touchscreen is dead. So if you were or are trying to get hold of me, email is better until I get to Maui and have a new phone delivered--so I can start beating the crap out of that one.

Bill at kenalu dot com works best.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2011, 06:42:09 PM »
The ke Nalu paddle in action... My buddy Brian showed up towards the end of the morning shift and snapped some pic's.  My legs were SHOT (hour four)... Conditions were tough... Short perid swell with a pinch, and then no shoulder...But some fun little waves with the Molokai!

http://www.pixareus.com/p411510335/h3bdc8b3f#h3bdc8b3f

http://www.pixareus.com/p519062474/h34307479#h34307479

Loving this paddle!

soulpaddler

« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2011, 06:58:31 PM »
Holy cow, Strand!!!!!!  Boardies and no top in November?  I always knew you were CORE!!!! ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2011, 08:19:42 PM »
Nice shots. Don't you just love how that blade just slides like butter on the face.

Looking pretty ripped there dude.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2011, 08:42:06 PM »
Bill,

Yes, yes I do...

As far as the "ripped" part goes... It's the Molokai!  Another selling point...

Soul,

The sun was out... The water was blue, if a little cold... And the proners were rubbered from tip to toe... Plus, I was working pretty hard... Gotta admit that I had my spring on until about 8... The changed into my trunks... Those are my special camo trunks.  They make me invisible!

Loving the paddle... Doing a distance run tomorrow as the small,swell of today is dropping...

Tim

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2011, 07:49:24 AM »
A quick report from another happy KeNalu paddle user.  After a couple of years of using a Werner Nitro (3-piece version) I now have about a dozen days on the medium-sized KeNalu.

The only objective data I have is that I have recorded the 2 fastest (non-wind-aided) runs ever on a 7/10 mile sprint near my house out of about 50 runs over a couple of years  -- 3-6% faster than the previous record. 

More importantly, subjectively the paddle is just more fun and seems to encourage more energetic paddling.  The light weight is great and I like the small diameter.  People have written about how clean the catch is, and while I don’t claim to understand the science behind it I can confirm this.  I tried the Werner the other day in small surf, and it seemed to really stick on the catch (like the water was much denser) compared to the KeNalu.

I have no regrets about the purchase – if anything happened to this one, I would buy another. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2011, 08:02:58 AM »
That's really nice, thanks. I don't recognize your handle or your initials--who are you?

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 27, 2011, 09:09:22 AM »
The ke Nalu paddle in action... My buddy Brian showed up towards the end of the morning shift and snapped some pic's.  My legs were SHOT (hour four)... Conditions were tough... Short perid swell with a pinch, and then no shoulder...But some fun little waves with the Molokai!

http://www.pixareus.com/p411510335/h3bdc8b3f#h3bdc8b3f

http://www.pixareus.com/p519062474/h34307479#h34307479

Loving this paddle!

Forget the paddle; Nice surfin Tim!!!   Paddle on (with soul),      JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 27, 2011, 09:24:14 AM »
It is indeed. Made me just a bit nuttier about getting ready to leave for Maui.  four days and a wakeup.

And then there's this wave forecast for Ho'okipa:

Yipee

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2011, 09:31:06 AM »
Great pics, Tim!  Looks like you guys got the swell minus the mess. Really rough up here...
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2011, 03:29:56 PM »
That's really nice, thanks. I don't recognize your handle or your initials--who are you?

Hey Bill -- The review from AGK is from Andy Keeler (me) - I was an early buyer from the KeNalu website.  Just got back from surfing in small surf with the paddle in Nags Head -- the acceleration is noticeably better!  Thanks again for a great paddle.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal