Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 551231 times)

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #1620 on: April 01, 2016, 07:51:23 AM »
OK, I'll bite!!  Sending you a PM. 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: April 01, 2016, 01:44:14 PM »
how's the timetable for shipping looking, lane?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1622 on: April 01, 2016, 09:45:10 PM »
how's the timetable for shipping looking, lane?

Since we're not yet into production (hopefully the molds will be ready this coming week) it's looking like we'll be into May before I have these ready to ship out.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1623 on: April 15, 2016, 02:28:51 AM »
I apologize for being a bit slow getting updates on the Mana progress, I've been waiting for concrete answers from the factory. This is what I know so far; the molds have been made & some "test" blades have been produced. As of yet I'm still waiting on confirmation regarding if actual production has started yet. This I suppose is good news for those of you who are yet to put in your "Zonestarter" payment but time is running out; once I get word on production that'll be it for the Zonestarter offer. Many thanks to everyone who has taken advantage of the offer, it's been a real help & for those who haven't yet there's still a little more time.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1624 on: April 19, 2016, 11:35:36 PM »
Update (finally) The Manas are in production so to those of you that took advantage of the "Zonestarter" offer, thank you very much for your help & support!! I'll keep you updated regarding expected delivery times. Now that we're in production things should move along in a more orderly/predictable manner. At this point it shouldn't be more than a month out but very likely sooner (fingers crossed). Thanks for your patience & help making the Manas a reality. I'm pretty happy with my experiences with the prototype but I'm curious to hear reports from you guys once we get them in your hands.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: April 20, 2016, 05:24:02 AM »
looking forward--tho i worry i will have 2 konihis for sale if your work is a good as I hope!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1626 on: April 20, 2016, 08:21:27 PM »
looking forward--tho i worry i will have 2 konihis for sale if your work is a good as I hope!

The Manas actually compliment the Konihi line well, you might end up wanting to hold on to at least one of your Konihis. There is a similar feel with the Manas; like the Konihi, they are VERY stable blades, the more positive catch of the Mana seems to accentuate the stability though, it seems more instantaneous, you plant & it's just there...kind of hard to describe but I think you'll see what I'm talking about when you get yours. I'm actually looking forward to having an "actual" blade too. So far I've only been paddling the prototype & it's not carbon, and it's not very light so I'm excited to see the real comparison, it'll work the same but the swing weight will be much better.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: April 26, 2016, 11:57:39 AM »
Lane, I recently took a Quickblade V-Drive out for a test paddle.  The initial bite of that paddle was kind of startling to me.  It was so immediate and so planted that I had to ask myself if that was what I wanted.  Possibly too much of a good thing.  The catch of the Konihi is much softer initially and you have to get it deeper to gain full traction.  However, as I thought about it, it seemed to me that this (Konihi)quality actually may provide the added benefit of protecting your shoulders and joints.  However, the slight slippage may be resulting in loss of forward power.  I guess that I am hoping for a blade that 1) has a more narrow profile to ease entry and slightly increase my stroke rate 2) has a more positive initial bite and power drive, but not one that will possibly risk injury.  The Mana blade you are describing below sounds like what I am looking for.  I am looking forward to getting mine soon!! Thanks for the "Kickstarter" opportunity.           
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1628 on: April 26, 2016, 09:37:40 PM »
Lane, I recently took a Quickblade V-Drive out for a test paddle.  The initial bite of that paddle was kind of startling to me.  It was so immediate and so planted that I had to ask myself if that was what I wanted.  Possibly too much of a good thing.  The catch of the Konihi is much softer initially and you have to get it deeper to gain full traction.  However, as I thought about it, it seemed to me that this (Konihi)quality actually may provide the added benefit of protecting your shoulders and joints.  However, the slight slippage may be resulting in loss of forward power.  I guess that I am hoping for a blade that 1) has a more narrow profile to ease entry and slightly increase my stroke rate 2) has a more positive initial bite and power drive, but not one that will possibly risk injury.  The Mana blade you are describing below sounds like what I am looking for.  I am looking forward to getting mine soon!! Thanks for the "Kickstarter" opportunity.           

I've never had a chance to try a V-Drive so I don't know how they'd compare. I'm really curious to hear some feedback on the Manas. I don't find the catch to be too much, it is somewhat like what you've described the V-Drive to be yet I didn't find it to be excessive. I've never had any surgery or anything but my shoulders are still a bit dodgy so I do pay attention to how things feel & might affect shoulders/joints. For me the Mana feels good but I can't wait to hear input from others. I hope it offers you what you're after...hopefully we'll be finding out soon. (I'm still waiting on a completion date for the Manas but once they're complete it takes less than a week for me to get them. As soon as I know more I'll give everyone an update)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #1629 on: April 27, 2016, 07:20:08 AM »
If I didn't already have a quiver I'd be looking at the Mana.

You can scratch me from the list of folks that doesn't like the Konihi for surf. Not sure if it was the shorter shaft or what but it felt great last weekend and it definitely helps keep my shoulder from blowing up.
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,28711.msg317274.html#msg317274
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1630 on: April 27, 2016, 10:52:46 PM »
If I didn't already have a quiver I'd be looking at the Mana.

You can scratch me from the list of folks that doesn't like the Konihi for surf. Not sure if it was the shorter shaft or what but it felt great last weekend and it definitely helps keep my shoulder from blowing up.
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,28711.msg317274.html#msg317274

Good to hear! Maybe the shorter shaft has something to do with it. I have mine at just about an inch overhead & I also found I liked the "auto-crouch" it provides, forces you into a better stance without having to think about it :)

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: May 06, 2016, 01:57:25 PM »
Any update on Mana availability?  Have mine on order.     Waaaaiting..........
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1632 on: May 06, 2016, 10:33:02 PM »
Any update on Mana availability?  Have mine on order.     Waaaaiting..........

I sent you an email on the 2nd apologizing for the longer than expected delay. I'm still getting fairly vague responses from the factory, but was told yesterday that "most of the Mana blades are finished" so I'm REALLY hoping the order ships next week, if that's the case it'll be the following week until I have them. I am REALLY sorry for the delay, I wasn't expecting this to take so long. The other blades didn't take this long. As soon as I have any updates I'll let everyone know but we should be getting close.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: May 08, 2016, 04:46:13 AM »
Thanks Lane. Just eagerly anticipating my new blade!
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1634 on: June 15, 2016, 03:04:20 AM »
(Re-post from Marketplace)

They've FINALLY arrived!! & we've just sent out everyone's "Zonestarter" Mana paddles. Thanks again for everyone's patience. I'm looking forward to hearing the feedback. For those of you who might want a Mana paddle don't think about it for too long or you'll miss the first batch; we've already gone through about half of the shipment & they're not yet "live" on the website (that should change in the next day or so).

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM