Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 553257 times)

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #1500 on: November 19, 2013, 07:58:32 AM »
By 'adjustable part' are you referring to the 'adj collar part' that can be added to any shaft; or the new 'on the fly' adjustable paddle that uses a compression fitting and includes the shaft and the adjustable extension and you add the blade/handle???   Paddle on,   JD

Thanks for the reply.I am referring to the "adj. collar part"
I hadn't heard about the other part.It must be a fairly recent introduction.

I really like the adj collar part! It only added a few grams of weight but it allows you to tweak the paddle length about 6 to 8 inches (using the included 8mm hex key). You will need the 'extended' ergo-t handle and you need to think before cutting the shaft to install the part as you want to make sure the finished adjustable range falls where you want it to... I doesn't ever seem to get in my way either. I have ALL the Ke Nalu paddles and this is the one I pull out more than any other...      Paddle on,    JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Richard

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: November 19, 2013, 11:52:43 AM »
DW...it's funny (sort of) with all the interest in going smaller we're actually working on a smaller version of the Wiki (among a couple other designs) with kids, smaller women or people who want a blistering fast cadence in mind. But as I mentioned there's a couple other things in the works too & one of those might do what you've mentioned. I'll have my first prototype this week, we'll see.

My wife thinks the Wiki is a little weak, power wise. The Maliko is way too powerful for her.

I've witnessed guys using the Wiki and claiming it felt awesome because they could stroke super fast. But in fact, they were just throwing water and not getting useful power. So even a few guys, in my observations, need something in between.

I have both the Wiki and the Maliko. For surfing, I always grab the Wiki, as it seems I catch waves much better with it.

Plus, the Wiki is kinder to my hurting shoulder.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:03:04 PM by Richard »

littleray

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: November 19, 2013, 10:52:57 PM »
By 'adjustable part' are you referring to the 'adj collar part' that can be added to any shaft; or the new 'on the fly' adjustable paddle that uses a compression fitting and includes the shaft and the adjustable extension and you add the blade/handle???   Paddle on,   JD

Thanks for the reply.I am referring to the "adj. collar part"
I hadn't heard about the other part.It must be a fairly recent introduction.

I really like the adj collar part! It only added a few grams of weight but it allows you to tweak the paddle length about 6 to 8 inches (using the included 8mm hex key). You will need the 'extended' ergo-t handle and you need to think before cutting the shaft to install the part as you want to make sure the finished adjustable range falls where you want it to... I doesn't ever seem to get in my way either. I have ALL the Ke Nalu paddles and this is the one I pull out more than any other...      Paddle on,    JD

Thanks JD. I have the collar and extended handle already and was looking for feedback before I made the switch on my Wiki paddle. This may be a dumb question but what happens with the glue on the extended handle? Is it heated and scrapped off,with the collar being the only part glued? I am looking forward to the versatility of quick adjustments.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: November 19, 2013, 10:58:51 PM »
Warm it up with a hairdryer until it's very soft (do it very evenly) and then wipe it off with a cloth.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #1504 on: November 20, 2013, 03:27:36 AM »
The longer extended handle made for the adjustable collar does not have glue on it. Lane was not getting order comments where you specify that you want the longer handle when I ordered mine, but sent me one immediately after emailing him. There are 2 extended handles.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

littleray

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: November 20, 2013, 04:45:38 PM »
Warm it up with a hairdryer until it's very soft (do it very evenly) and then wipe it off with a cloth.

Thanks,too easy.

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1506 on: November 22, 2013, 12:39:22 PM »
I ordered my Christmas present today,a Xtuf(S) Maliko with adj. part and handle. I plan on keeping it an adjustable if light enough. This is my first "high end" paddle and I'm kinda interested to see how I like it. Mainly since everyone says the KeNalu penalizes a poor stroke. I've paddled for 5 yrs. but mostly by myself touring and island hopping using the generic paddle that came with my first board as a package. I've never taken any paddle instruction or had anyone even comment on my stroke so I'll see if the KeNalu points out any of my flaws.

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1507 on: December 06, 2013, 04:37:31 PM »
My KeNalu arrived today. These really are sharp looking paddles. One question before I build the paddle tomorrow,the red tape on the paddle,do I remove it?or does it stay on the paddle? THANKS

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: December 06, 2013, 05:40:53 PM »
I'm not sure, since I'm not involved anymore, but we used to put tape on the blades just to mask the joint on the paddle side. After you assemble the paddle you can take it off and smooth the joint. It's a good idea to mask all the edges before you glue so you can get the excess off easily. the videos show this.
http://www.kenalu.com/paddle_assemble.html
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 05:45:13 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1509 on: December 06, 2013, 08:05:29 PM »
Thanks Pono Bill,I had watched the vids and the PFD on the adjustable part install but saw nothing on the paddle. I think you are right that the tape protects the shaft from excess hot glue. 

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1510 on: December 06, 2013, 11:55:58 PM »
Yes, the tape is just for protection to keep the excess glue from getting where you don't want it. The shafts aren't taped but it's a good idea & you can just use electrical tape to tape them off. Electrical tape is preferred over masking tape since the glue on the masking tape melts under heat & comes off on what you're trying to protect. You can just use fresh tape to remove the tape glue but you won't have to if you use electrical tape.

srowndedbyh2o

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1511 on: December 12, 2013, 07:29:58 PM »
I’ve read many comments about how the xTuf(s) are easy on the shoulders/joints. Anyone paddling the new “Quick Clamp Adjustable Shaft UD Carbon”?
How’s the shoulder holding up?
I really like the idea of being able to adjust length “on the fly”.
It's all relative.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1512 on: December 12, 2013, 10:29:35 PM »
I’ve read many comments about how the xTuf(s) are easy on the shoulders/joints. Anyone paddling the new “Quick Clamp Adjustable Shaft UD Carbon”?
How’s the shoulder holding up?
I really like the idea of being able to adjust length “on the fly”.

To me the Quick Clamp feels a bit stiffer than the standard xTuf shaft but I just did a side by side flex comparison & they seem fairly similar. I haven't had a lot of time with the Quick Clamp but it didn't give my shoulders any trouble (I do have some shoulder issues) the on the fly adjustability is really nice.

srowndedbyh2o

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1513 on: December 13, 2013, 08:56:24 PM »
Thanks Lane. I’m saving my pennies! :)
It's all relative.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: January 10, 2014, 10:57:45 AM »
I got to try out the new Ho’oloa model yesterday and I think I have a new favorite paddle. The paddle is a higher aspect than my Wiki by being ½” narrower, but having the same 84 square inch area. I took it out in waist high light surf and found it very good for catching waves; it seems to have a very positive feel.  The place I surf, Sunset Cliffs, has a variety of breaks in a two mile area and we often cruise from break to break. The paddle worked well for the cruise and has that Ke Nalu smoothness.

I haven’t tried it on flat water yet so I’ll let you know later how it works there.I'm sure Lane can explain more about the new design features.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard