Author Topic: Checking out the new Hull Ripper.  (Read 14261 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Checking out the new Hull Ripper.
« on: September 15, 2011, 04:14:27 PM »
My local shop got one in yesterday.. It's the 9 11 and I hope to take it for a surf today.. The board looked awesome in its fire engine red and the full gloss finish.

These pics show the unusual bottom shape that Blane makes and you can see how it compares to the Hull Paddler (blue board).

DJ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Checking out the new Hull Ripper.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 04:58:48 PM »
Do you happen to knwo the width and thickness ?

WaterDog

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:36:13 PM »
Nice!  Did you get any video footage?   

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 07:51:32 PM »
man that red and black board is sweet looking!-forgot how much i like gloss!
reminds me of a Camaro
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 03:01:13 AM »
 One of my surf-sup buds has had a 9'6 HR for a few months. Beautiful stick! Knifey ass rails with that nice rail chime. His has the bamboo deck... It does seem to need a little juice and he surfs it well. The thing has speed written all over it...            Paddle on (with soul),   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 08:25:31 AM »
It's 32" wide and thin..  ;D .. sorry I don't know how thin.. and sorry no vid..  :(

Here's a few pictures from today.

DJ

I left my 9.0 Hokua on the roof of the car and used my 10' Mana so I could compare the two boards.. Both are about 10' long and 32" wide.. The PSH is only 1" shorter.

Almost the same dimensions but very, very different boards.. I started paddling my Mana and Rod paddled the Hull Ripper.. It was a long paddle to the break that we were going to surf.. My Mana is solid as a rock paddling and when I swapped to the Hull Ripper I thought jeez.. It's tippy.. The thin rails on the HR are almost like a stepped rail and when tipped want to keep tipping very unlike the Mana that wants to float you back.. The first wave that I caught was not that big and once it fattened up before started to reform I moved forward on the board to keep the board gliding like I do on my Mana and the board cruised along ok but felt pretty slow.. Slower than my Mana.. I'm thinking it's not only tippy but it's slow.. I wanted my Mana back.

The next wave that I caught was much bigger.. I was able to get back on the board and it turned beautifully and was fast.. Faster than my Mana.. It held a rail well as the wave started to close out.. I turned to straighten up and caught a rail and fell.. I'm thinking I would not have fallen then on my Mana.. I caught a few more waves on the HR and was starting to get used to how it works.. I missed a few good waves because I couldn't get it around in time.. The thin rails towards the nose seemed to catch as I did wide paddle strokes or back paddled to get the board around like I do on my Mana.. I'm guessing sink tail turns are a must on this board.. I'm not a very good surfer and don't paddle wave boards very often.

I stayed on the PSH for the rest of the session.. I nose dived a few times on waves that my Mana would not have.. even with that Persian slipper nose.. I'm sure it's a technique thing and something you would get used to.. Paddling all the way back was also harder than paddling my Mana.. The Mana is easy.. Cruise'er.. and very forgiving.. and also paddles flat water better.. But the I think the Hull Ripper surfed better and was faster on the face of the wave once you get back on the board.. We only had waist high waves.. I'm sure if the waves got bigger the PSH would be even better.

DJ

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 10:19:24 AM »
Have had a wood veneer Hull ripper for the last month...just in time to put it through the paces with Hurricanes Irene, Katia and Maria. What can I say but AWESOME BOARD!!!  Very quick and EXTREMELY FAST!!  I'm stoked!!!  Tim

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 10:56:47 AM »
Tear it UP Tim.  I saw Tim's board up close and it is a beautiful board with the Bamboo.  Also Tim rips.

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 11:18:24 AM »
Any thoughts on the stability and paddleabilty of this board vs the psh 9-11 ripper/progressive or the Hokua 9-5 you showed us last month?

As I understand the line, the HR is supposed to be about as stable as a similar sized ripper, but turn and paddle better.  They also claim it's not a board for everyone, which begs the question: Who doesn't want a board that turns and paddles better? Is it a question of juice? Sounds like it might be a board best used on chest high or better days as part of a multiple-board quiver.

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 02:41:38 PM »
Thanks DJ, 32" wow man the PSH boards are so wide. That is my problem with my 9 11 ripper great board just to wide. Although I remember hearing that with the hull rippers chimed rails you are really surfing off a much narrower surface area.  Thanks for posting.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 04:32:23 PM »
Any thoughts on the stability and paddleabilty of this board vs the psh 9-11 ripper/progressive or the Hokua 9-5 you showed us last month?

As I understand the line, the HR is supposed to be about as stable as a similar sized ripper, but turn and paddle better.  They also claim it's not a board for everyone, which begs the question: Who doesn't want a board that turns and paddles better? Is it a question of juice? Sounds like it might be a board best used on chest high or better days as part of a multiple-board quiver.

My friend on that day owns a normal 9'11" Ripper and he found the Hull Ripper more tippy.. and it's about the same tippyness as the smaller and narrower 9'5" Hokua.. and I think you're right.. I would love to try this board again in chest high and bigger.

DJ

HawaiiRN808

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 05:56:49 PM »
The PSH Hull Ripper looks like an awesome board!  I like the red with black center racing stripe.  I would go check PSH out and get one, but just got a C4 race board... :'(

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 05:28:19 AM »
Having paddled and surfed the HULL RIPPER almost daily for the past month in some really good East Coast waves,  here are my impressions (for what its worth)..
1. Sizing....I'm a pretty big guy 210-215 lbs. Paddle regularly and got the 9'6" Wide Hull Ripper...30'1/8 inches wide. I have a 9'3" PSH/Wide Hand Glassed Custom Ripper that is just under 30 inches wide. I GLAD I WENT A LITTLE BIGGER on the HULL RIPPER. Its rails knife down (up) and are surprisingly thin...it's a lower volume design and the slightly larger size (recommended by Blueline/Santa Barbara) has worked out perfect!!
2. Stability...IT IS MORE TIPPY...I'm not an engineer but makes sense that thin rails, less volume has an effect. But, I found that with a little time I got used to this and as I got more comfortable on the board discovered the hull bottom works great and the board paddles fast for its size and paddles into waves incredibly well!  Still, I would caution,  THIS IS NOT A BEGINNERS BOARD ....
3. Fit and finish...I have the wood veneer....BEAUTIFUL!!
4. Wave performance....With time, AMAZING!...However, initially I wasn't sure. It rides different, definitely from the tail. It is not built for nose-riding or simply cruising...I fully agree with what I had read about it...IT IS A BOARD MEANT TO BE RIDDEN HARD....SURF IT FROM THE TAIL AND THE BOARD JUST FLIES....and with the thin rails...the RAIL TO RAIL TRANSITION IS INCREDIBLY   FAST. Frankly, even after a month of great waves, I am still discovering the board's  potential...and even at my age I can feel it making me a better surfer...

Bottom line..IT IS NOT A BOARD FOR EVERYBODY  but seems built for high performance...As you get used to it you find that it surfs shorter than its length, paddles longer than its length ...and if you want to surf hard...it is a great choice...As I said in the earlier post...I'M STOKED!!  Tim

gr8laker

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 09:24:38 PM »
would love to try this board out...

Blane posted this on Facebook recently - he explains what the hull ripper is all about

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 06:42:57 AM »
Nice review DJ.  The thing I like is boards are finally starting to get thinner.  There is no need for such thick board even for a larger guy (non beginner).  I am 190 and not light but want a thinner rail overall.  TDE glad you like yours as I am planning on getting one in the spring.  Going to go a little smaller in the size but think it will be a great setup in certain conditions here in FL.

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
Today at 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
Today at 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal