Author Topic: Finally.....  (Read 18005 times)

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Finally.....
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 06:52:50 PM »
Blane,

Any update on your shop? I'd like to swing by when it's open.

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 09:47:11 PM »
Hey DW-

What does it mean when a board is said to have "double vacuum bag" construction? I've got an SOS Red and, from a totally unbiased point of view (nobody's giving me anything)- that board has the best pop-out construction of any other pop out I've seen out there- some are put together very bad. At first I babied it- now I just drop it into the truck bed, bang it off the fence and shove it into the rack- other then a scratched nose, from sliding it around, the thing is intact.

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 01:20:51 AM »
From what I understand Blanes pop-outs are just as good   ;)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 03:30:23 AM »
Hey DW-

What does it mean when a board is said to have "double vacuum bag" construction? I've got an SOS Red and, from a totally unbiased point of view (nobody's giving me anything)- that board has the best pop-out construction of any other pop out I've seen out there- some are put together very bad. At first I babied it- now I just drop it into the truck bed, bang it off the fence and shove it into the rack- other then a scratched nose, from sliding it around, the thing is intact.

A sandwich board is glassed twice when built by hand. There is glass under the PVC foam and over it (the surface layer). So you could bag it twice. Some factorys use molds instead of bagging for the final step.

Durability of pop outs is usually a function of the PVC under the skin in my experience. It can range from thin to thick. How thick the PVC was that wraps the rail, if it does wrap the rail, all are critcal to the boards ability to bounce off hard objects when you smack it. Assuming everyone is using similar glass layups.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 07:57:54 AM »
Blane,

We're actually open already but our boards will arrive in a few more weeks.        It is by appointment for now....   

Aloha,
Blane

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com

supstoked

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2007, 03:14:05 PM »
On the subject of pop-outs versus custom board (and absolutely nothing reflecting on, or having to do with  Blane).  I have had some pop-out longboards that I have ridden for 6-7 years and they are still in great shape.  I have two new brand name custom epoxy $$$$$$ sup boards that: 1. has a delam about 18" across on the deck where I stand. 2. has the fin box coming out.  I think some of the surfboard manufacturers are jumping into this without the experience to build this type of product.
Lots of foil boards 6’7”-7’4”, L41 TVD’s and Jimmy Lewis Strikers..

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2007, 05:21:27 PM »
All my pop-outs are holding up fine as well. I have seen a LOT of glassed epoxy/eps boards with problems, especially at the fin box. Just took one in for repair yesterday.

I am a believer in pop-outs, using sailboard technology which has always been years ahead of surfboard technology, they want ultimate durability and lightness and the customers don't even blink an eye if the board is $1200-1500, ...different type customers. This is the type who will get into SUP.

Hard core surfers usually don't have much money,(having a job is incompatible with constant surfing) therefore, traditionally, will not spend a lot of $$$ for a board.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2007, 06:32:13 PM »
I am a believer in pop-outs, using sailboard technology which has always been years ahead of surfboard technology, they want ultimate durability and lightness and the customers don't even blink an eye if the board is $1200-1500, ...different type customers. This is the type who will get into SUP.

Yup.  A great resource (if you have not already visited there):

http://boardlady.com/anatomy.htm

climbbikesurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 01:58:34 PM »
Rand - thanks for putting up the link.  I was always wondering what is the difference with epoxy.

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2007, 11:47:10 AM »
Blane,

We're actually open already but our boards will arrive in a few more weeks.        It is by appointment for now....   

Aloha,
Blane

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com

Great news. Keep us posted when your new boards arrive. What sort of shapes/sizes are coming in?

Blane Chambers

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2007, 10:23:56 PM »
Howzit Tony,
Took this yesterday.   We are starting to have some boards, paddles, shirts, stickers, pads etc...

We are located at:

1034 Kilani Ave in Wahiawa
Kilani Business Center Unit #105.    We are open off and on for now...   Our main bulk of boards are arriving in a couple weeks or so and a couple weeks after that for our CA Distribution Hub...    If anyone from the SUZone wants to meet in our showroom before we open PM me....   Any members of the SUZone will get a discount on Paddle Surf Hawaii products....
Aloha,
Blane Chambers

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com

Byronmaui

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 10:30:06 PM »
Blane nice looking boards. Any performance SUP boards under 9 feet available?

Aloha

Byron

Blane Chambers

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 10:39:35 PM »
I have a bunch of 8' to 8-10's in various stages of production.     Some customs and some for stock.   Some for women and kids and some for us bigger people.    Plenty things in the Pipeline!

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2007, 08:06:08 AM »
Blane,   the store looks great!  Please post some more pics soon! 

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2007, 09:39:48 AM »
Hey Blane,

I was wondering why you were so far ahead in shaping little boards.  Originally, I had thought it was a peformance thing, but now seeing your ceiling height, it all comes clear  :)

Awesome to see a shop packed full of ripper stand up boards!

Good work.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal