Author Topic: Paddling on one side issue/question  (Read 11297 times)

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paddling on one side issue/question
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 12:32:02 AM »
paddle angle could be a factor, stacking the shoulders and getting that shaft as vert as possible. What about stroke length, obviously if your getting a better catch on the right side you'll turn your board.

Even with a vertical catch and pull, paddling on one side, you'll eventually veer your board to the right. probably your stroke

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 02:15:33 AM »
Me - right handed and stronger/straighter paddling on the left side like most folks.

Funny how folks are affected differently. I'm right handed, and paddle straighter on my left side too, but I feel I get more powerful strokes on my right side.  I do my best to do the same type stroke on each side (shoulders stacked, reach, length of pull, etc.), but this disparity continues to haunt me.

The weird part is that the board tracks fairly straight the same on each side during the stroke, but it is when I lift the paddle out of the water and bring it forward on the right side, THAT is when the nose swings over to the left! I know that I can't always have the wind on my starboard beam, but that it what it feels like, and frankly it drives me nuts (short trip, I know :D).

I pay attention and focus on keeping my arm movements the same, but still this continues. I've been trying to keep the blade angled in towards the board a bit on the right side, and have played around with switching my stance as I change sides (paddle side foot forward slightly), and this might help out somewhat, but the stroke count stays uneven. It seems like when I first started paddling my stroke count used to be similar, but as I've gotten better, this has been more prominent. Somewhat confusing  for sure!
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

nepaddlesurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Bic Sport Stand Up Paddleboards
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 06:49:29 PM »
Putting the board on rail can help a board track straighter for sure.  However, I teach a lot of beginners, and I have them paddling as long as they want on one side of the board within an hour, keeping the board flat, and even paddling on the inside of a turn (turning towards the side they are paddling on).  The stroke you use for this is technically called a "draw", which then morphs into a forward stroke.  Add more 'draw' (the name of any stroke where your board is pulled sideways towards your blade) and you'll turn more, add more forward stroke and it will simply keep you going straight.  There's more to it than this, but that's the high-level view.  You can keep your board totally flat and accomplish this.  I will have a video on this exact subject coming out soon in my SUP Instructional series at SUPTV, keep an eye out for it, one new video each week for the rest of the season: http://www.youtube.com/user/StandUpPaddlingTV?feature=watch

Hope this helps. 
Jimmy Blakeney
BIC Sport SUP product & marketing manager
ACA SUP Instructor Trainer

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 05:20:11 AM »
Our "shoulder Stack" is mentioned a few times here. I'm not clear on this, what is "shoulder stack"?
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 10:07:42 AM »

When I paddle on the left side of the board (my natural paddle side) and put a bit of weight on the left rail I can go straight...as long as I want. 

However, when I swith to the right side my board pretty much immediately turns left.  I have my weight on the right rail, my paddle is pretty much straight up and down, but on that side I seem to make the board turn. 
Hi Canuck
Indeed, an interesting situation.....and lots of excellent rx from the Zoners, so i'll try to diverge a bit...
You've been looking at your left side as your natural side. Interesting fact here is that, paddling on the left, weighing that same rail as you say, should make the board turn...to the right ! Why won't it?
If your board is correctly built, and this situation keeps happening on every other board you've tested (have you?), chances are the issue is either with your paddle or technique.
Check your paddle handle grip. Is it aligned with the blade? If the paddle was cut and the handle grip reglued, it could be misaligned.
If not, check your board's rails. The markings your paddle leaves on the rails can tell a lot. Measure where these markings appear and dissapear in relation to the bow. Is one side rail marked ahead of the other? Is one rail more marked than the other?
Be well and keep us posted !
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

Muddy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 02:51:17 PM »
I'm brand new to SUP so can't offer advise but I found a good youtube vid on paddle stroke on how very slight variations can cause you to change direction. Sorry not good a techy stuff so just youtube Jimme Terrell Dry Land Paddle Clinic.

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 03:14:15 PM »
Our "shoulder Stack" is mentioned a few times here. I'm not clear on this, what is "shoulder stack"?
The term "shoulder stack" can have many meanings depending on who is explaining in regards to paddling action.
 I see it, anatomically, as placing the scapula in a position where they both work as a unit, as close to a vertical line as possible.
Be well
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »
I'm brand new to SUP so can't offer advise but I found a good youtube vid on paddle stroke on how very slight variations can cause you to change direction. Sorry not good a techy stuff so just youtube Jimme Terrell Dry Land Paddle Clinic.
It's an excellent resource indeed !
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DmHGHEtcJI0A&v=mHGHEtcJI0A&gl=US
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal