Author Topic: How to strap your board to your rack in 30 seconds  (Read 26318 times)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
How to strap your board to your rack in 30 seconds
« on: September 03, 2011, 12:19:10 AM »
I recently watched someone take 10 minutes to strap their board to their car while I was waiting for their parking spot.  He was going back and forth several times for each strap, looping it around the ends of the racks on both sides, and tying the straps off endlessly.  In the end the board was not even tight on the racks and the board could still slide all over because he tied it around the end of the rack, not snug next to the board and could not really tighten it well because of all the loops he made around the rack.  So, here is a video of a fast way to strap a board to a car easily, quickly and safely.  I made a short "ADD" version:

How to strap board to car in 30 secs ADD version

and a full version with important information:

« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 12:20:44 AM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to strap your board to your rack in 30 seconds
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 12:44:42 AM »
That is a solid way to do it and I used to do it that way until I saw a buckle lose its spring and Conner's board almost came off his truck.  Then I said to myself two is better than one.  If one buckle goes, you'll see the board go crooked but won't fly off.. and if you stacking, two or three straps to a side.  Boards are way too expensive to trust only one.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 01:07:25 AM »
True, you have to have complete confidence in your strap and the buckle needs to be in good condition.  I have been doing this for many years with no problems but do this responsibly and at your own risk, of course.  When I stack boards, I always use two straps.  If I really load up boards, an extra strap looped around all the boards and through the inside of the car can provide extra security and ease of mind if I'm worried the whole rack could fail and come off the roof.
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 02:03:39 AM »
That's so cool.

I need a longer strap.

XERO

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 02:21:03 AM »
Awesome vid and a great tip! I didn't even consider this, will definitely try it out this weekend!

HawaiiRN808

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 01:13:23 PM »
Robert, you was probably waiting for me and my 25 minute board strap down.  Mahalo for the video!  I still prefer two straps to one..just a little more secure so the board don't fly off on the H1  :o

Sorry about tomorrow..

HawaiiRN808

bean

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 12:34:33 PM »
This is my go to method for transporting a single board but keep in mind that on some factory rack systems the crossbar could loosen up and create slack. 

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 01:52:31 PM »
Cool video Robert.  That's a great idea, I'll be using it in some applications.  

A friend of mine has a 25-6 oc-2, my racks are 8 feet apart.  Hmm, I'll need a strap about 25 feet long.   :)

Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 07:57:10 PM »
Slick.

I never trust buckles so I just add a half hitch over the buckle--in combination it won't come off till you want it to.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 12:38:03 PM »
thanks for the video!  good stuff. 
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 07:35:10 PM »
Robert

Thanks for this it just saved my board... Coming home way late from a good paddle I managed to drive I to the garage with the board on

I ended up with most of the fin stuck in a gap between the wall and the garage door and nada to tack the racks off the car to get the board out.  Ground the front off the fin and the board is fine. I van only guess that having a single long strap had enough give I. It for the board to lift of the front rack and slide under. 

If I had two steps on I'm sure I'd need a new fin box

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 08:03:11 PM »
Be careful in doing this method.  The strap in the video now pulls the towers toward each other. Racks can and will move forward and back. I have had it happen. When the towers move your strap loosens. Do two straps one on each rack for a better hold.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 09:01:24 PM »
Kaihoe,
I'm glad your fin box was spared :) but like gorge bob says, the strap will pull the racks together if they are loose and that will loosen the strap.  You need to make sure your racks have a very solid connection to your car and can't slip.  Please watch the full video (the vimeo version, not the youtube ADD version) before you try this and do it at your own risk, please don't blame me if something goes wrong.  Use two straps for peace of mind or even three (one through the inside of car) if you want to be extra cautious.
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 03:10:54 AM »
Awesome!!!

:-)

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 05:47:58 AM »
After decades of loading, strapping and roping boards, boats, rafts etc to racks I've learned not to trust cams or racks.  Sure, the cam may feel locked and secure and the rack doesn't move until wind or rain affect it.  Kind of like dressing for a swim when paddling, you should load your board/boat for the crash or sudden stop. 

My suggestion would be to use two shorter straps and a whole minute to secure the board.  If the 15 bucks is too much to spend on straps or then buy some quality rope from a climbing store and learn the truckers hitch.  Hell, I leave the ropes on my racks all the time which saves time. 

Now, if you are only driving a few blocks from the beach, what the hell take a short cut.  Once I purchased a new whitewater kayak on an out of town trip and was short on ropes, so the dealer helped me load it with a long single throw rope.   It was a solid method that didn't put lateral pulling pressure on the racks.  Worked great for the 8 hour drive.  I did it a few more time on shorter paddling trips until I launched it into the kudzu on a mountain road.  Thank goodness for plastic materials.  Rarely have I used that since. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal