Author Topic: help from OC guys?...newport harbor/corona del mar cove...  (Read 4706 times)

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
help from OC guys?...newport harbor/corona del mar cove...
« on: August 28, 2011, 01:02:08 PM »
i want to take some beginners SUPn next mid-week after all these big waves pass...

we were planning on going to malibu but they are from the 909 and the closest/nicest place to everybody is Corona Del Mar/newport harbor...the park across the channel from the Wedge...

can someone tell me if:
- do we need PFD's?
- can we park at the state park?...and how much does it cost?
- can we launch at that little cove in the channel?
- can we paddle into the bay and look at all the houses/boats?
- can we paddle out the channel to the open ocean?

thanks

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: help from OC guys?...newport harbor/corona del mar cove...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 02:31:46 PM »
This is one local's experience.  I paddle in Newport Harbor, and sometimes out the Channel to the ocean.  I always wear a leash, but no PFD.  I frequently pass the Harbor Patrol.  I have never been stopped at all.  Could that change.  Oh Yeah.  I think parking is $15.  You should call the Newport Lifeguard Headquarters about being able to launch from there.  Last week they had the black ball flag up by 10:00A.M., ie no boards.  You can't launch at the little cove.  It is totally a roped off swim area.  There are some public beach access points along Balboa.  Parking can be interesting, no parking because of street cleaning a couple days a week, no lots etc.  Another spot to launch is at the Coast Guard station.  Parking is mostly on the street, with a walk to the beach.  You can paddle in & out of the channel. 
You say you are bringing beginners.  In Newport, this area is the most challenging.  You have nature, wind, tide & swells.  OK this isn't bad.  But for beginners...Then you have boats the are in a hurry to get out or slow to slow down when coming back.
I would suggest the Back Bay, by Newport Aquatic Center, good parking calmer water & some nice homes.  Other  good spot is 19th St on the bay side.  It has a metered parking lot, availability depends on time, weather, day of the week.  Decently calm water, good view of view of homes.
Let me know when you are going.  I may join you.
Have fun.

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 07:46:03 PM »
Another great place to launch from is Newport Dunes just off Jamboree at Back Bay drive.  $10 for the first 3 hours of parking with nice bathrooms and showers.  Water is calm.

If you launch out of the Coast Guard station, I would suggest turning right away from the jetty area.  Go up the channel behind Balboa Island.  After the bridge you will find a very nice sandy swim beach that has a drinking fountain.

We paddle Newport Harbor about 5 days a week, never a leash or pfd.

Have Fun, Jill

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 07:52:24 PM »
From the Dunes out the channel to the end of the jetty is 4.5 miles.  If you launch out of the Coast guard  it is only 1 mile out. 

The biggest boats are on the PCH side of the Lido Island channel.  Biggest houses are in the main channel right where Lido splits off.  If you launch from Newport Aquatic Center or the Dunes there are some very nice protected channel near by.  There are 2 channels and at the end of each a nice sand beach. 

All of Newport Harbor is a no wake zone and boat speeds are limited to 5 mph.  The Harbor Patrol really enforces this. 

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 08:27:45 PM »
Parking at Big Corona is $15.
I would not count on being able to launch there except very early in the morning.
I wear a leash but no PDF - Harbor Patrol went right by me during a huge storm
and just waved hi.

The Coast Guard Station on Bayside Drive is pretty good, but you have to get there
early to get one of the 12 or so parking spaces inside the facility (not as much of a
problem mid-week before 4 pm). However, there is
lots of space to park on Bayside Drive if you don't mind carrying your sup pretty far.

Sometimes I SUP off of Balboa Island.  There are 5 small public piers, I like to launch
off of (I think the one on Little Balboa is currently closed),
so I don't get a lot of sand in my car!  Here is a map:

http://www.balboa-island.com/images/uploads/PDF_Newport_Bay_Public_Piers.pdf

There are also a few public piers on the Peninsula (see map).
And, from Balboa Island or the Peninsula, there are lots of public bay beaches you
can launch off of.

I agree with JillRide, that the Channel between Balboa Island and the mainland is good
for beginners - not nearly as much boat traffic - it is called Beacon Bay.  Lots of
boats and houses to look at and SUP around.

Take a look at the map (above).  You could SUP around an Island or two.
Launching from near the tip of the Peninsula will also get you quickly out to the Harbor
entrance, but it can be choppy and lots of boat wake and crowded, much more
so on the weekend.  However, I do enjoy SUPing that area too on weekdays.

Have Fun!
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

kneecap

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
Steamroller-

Newport Harbor is a great place to go play on a stand up in flat water, though I only do it when I visit my mom's house.  I always launch from Little Balboa Island since that's where she lives.  It's about 3 miles around that group of islands, get in the water on the East Bay front, hang a left, make the upwind section along the very protected North Bay Front, turn around Collins Island and cruise downwind along the South Bay Front.  Parking can be a bit iffy at times, but if you go during the middle of the day midweek I'll give you my mom's address and you can park in her driveway with no hassles (I'll let her know you'll be there).

There's a lot of other sections you can cruise through and look at giant boats and/or houses.  I wouldn't launch from Big Corona, big hassle and too much money to park at.  Pirates Cove you'd have to hike your boards over a hill and down a big flight of stairs.  Fat Mom Beach (I didn't make up that name!) is by the Coast Guard Station on Bayside Drive, not a bad launch site.  You can pull in and unload boards, then find parking on Bayside.  Nice little sandy beach there.

The Dunes are very convenient, so is 19th and Bay.  10th and Bay also has a nice beach for a different stretch.  All sorts of good places to eat, but if you want epic fish tacos go to Wahoos in Costa Mesa when you're done.  OK, now I want to go visit my mum just to do all that!

OC_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 11:27:10 PM »
Steamroller, I've been out to Newport Harbor on SUPs (more on my kayak though), and while I was wearing a PFD, I didn't see a single other SUPer wearing one.  Harbor Patrol has passed by and never cited anyone.  I'm only assuming, but I think the "mandatory" part of PDF's is for those renting SUPs and probably for liability/insurance reasons.  Newport Acquatic Center (NAC) is a nice place to launch, but you have to paddle up a connecting channel to reach the main harbor.  Kind of a b##ch if it's windy.  But the backbay area is great for beginning paddlers as the water is usually calm.   I usually paddle up to the Harbor, and find the nearest cannal (to your left after passing under the bridge (PCH) for calm water.  This canal goes partly around Lido isle and is a nice place to look at boats/homes.  After reaching Harbor Island, I turn left again to head down the channel between the Mainland and Harbor Island - another place to look at homes & boats in relatively calm water.   It's at that point where I usually paddle across the main channel over to the area with the ferris wheel (Balboa Penninsula), make a quick stop, the start my trip back to NAC.

As for going out to the open oceon from the main channel, I assumed you could, but would love to hear from those who are in the know.

Btw, I like the map showing the locations of all the public piers.  I'd also like to know where all the pulic beaches are that you can land a SUP.  Also if there are any public restrooms along the Harbor.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 11:30:26 PM by OC_SUP »

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 05:26:02 AM »
To the open ocean:
I have been launching from Fat Mom's Beach or Pennisula Point Beach, almost directly across from FMB, at least once a week for the last six months. 
You can paddle to the open ocean.  But IMHO, this is not for beginners.  Sometimes you have a little wind chop coming from a different direction than whatever swell there is.  Plus the closer you get to the ocean, the less the motor boats respect the speed limit, ie larger boats wakes.
Do I enjoy it?  Yes.  Do I always make it to the end of the jetties? No.  For a flat water paddler, it can test your skills.  Not for beginners.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 10:55:39 AM »
hi everybody...excellent info...keepin it for future reference...

my beginners decided they want to go to malibu instead though...

in the mean time get ready for some WAVES!!!!!

;D

OC_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
Oops, need to correct my original post.

When I said:

<< After reaching Harbor Island, I turn left again to head down the channel between the Mainland and Harbor Island >>

I actually meant:

<< After reaching Harbor Island, I turn left again to head down the channel between the Mainland and Balboa Island >>

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal