Author Topic: game plan  (Read 2041 times)

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
game plan
« on: August 25, 2011, 06:34:38 PM »
Ok, so after our 36 mile odyssey accross Cape Cod Bay last week, which is an amazingly well run and fun event....http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org/, i have come to realize a few things about myself and my progression in SUP.

1.  I want and need to be stronger and smarter with my paddling technique.
2.  I need to lose 8-12 lbs of gut
3.  I want/need a race specific board to have hopes of competing in races.  my SB     Cruiser just wont cut it.
4. I need to train much harder and spend more time on the water

So, my game plan moving forward.....

1. do paddle specific exercises at the gym 2-3 days per week.  paddle videos. maybe a paddle clinic if one is around here.  practice, practice, practice.
2. not overeating, yoga, body weight exercises, swimming
3. buy a race board next Spring probably Starboard Race 12'6 x 27.5 or maybe the new BOP board.
4.  i want to get a paddle buddy or group to train with/against. use a garmin gps watch to track my progress. read up on SUP race strategies.  get on the water even through the winter months. surf more to mix up my training and not get "bored".

.....hopefully this hard work will help make me more confident, competitive and competent!  most of all I just want to have more fun on the water by being better fit mentally and physically.

i think i wrote this to force myself into a training regime but any advice on my plan or training tools would be great! mahalo!
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: game plan
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 07:03:44 PM »
Dude,,if you managed to paddle for 10 1/2 hours over 36 miles I think you should have a beer and know you are a pretty fit paddler just as you stand. Plus I don't think that was as much a race as it was a test of endurance.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
Re: game plan
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 07:08:01 PM »
Nice FTBM!
nothing wrong with putting your goals out there for everyone to see-sounds like a solid program to me!
I am working on the diet and have about the same weight goals-maybe a few more lbs. Im 175 and would like to be around 155-160.
I surf way more than i paddle so its harder to sustain heart rate when waiting out lulls in the surf-at least with paddling you can dictate the intensity of your workout.
Just started doing some stretching and foam roller routines with a local neuro-therapy guy-lots of stretching and lengthening of muscles-eat right etc...
Good plan dude go for it!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal