Author Topic: Newbie questions -- how to paddle up wind  (Read 10391 times)

DaddyDog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Newbie questions -- how to paddle up wind
« on: July 14, 2007, 01:16:41 PM »
I'm 155 trying to paddle an NSP 11' longboard.   I found that it was better to only pull from in front to about your feet.  I also tried a J stroke and bracing off the tale end of the stroke when it gets tippy and windblown.   The bracing seems to keep me on my feet.  As I paddle, I'm trying to dig the rail on the side of the paddle.  In what I would call adverse condtions, the combination of J stroke and digging the rail, I can paddle 4-5 strokes before switching.  Here is the question: is it better to do what I would call a pull paddle, where the stroke stays in front of your feet, or do the full stroke.  Full disclosure: I have little or no canoe paddling experince and I'm a beginer SUP.  Mahalo in advance for your advice.

reefrash

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Newbie questions -- how to paddle up wind
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 06:44:32 PM »
Any stroke past your feet is inefficient if you are up wind or down wind. The first 6-12 inches of your pull is going to generate the most power. If you pull past your feet you generate minimal power at that point and are creating drag. Another important element is length of the shaft on your paddle. If your paddle is too short and you are choked up, you will not create as much leverage paddling. If you are too long you get out of the more efficient up down stroke and are too sideways.

Overall, stand up upwind is going to be challenging. It gets easier as you get more efficient with your paddling, but it is still going to be rigorous. The only tip of note for upwind that I have found is weighting your up wind rail particularly when you are perpendicular to the prevailing winds. In gusty trades, the winds can literally get underneath the rail of your board and knock you over unless you weight that rail.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 07:33:25 PM »
Any stroke past your feet is inefficient if you are up wind or down wind. The first 6-12 inches of your pull is going to generate the most power. If you pull past your feet you generate minimal power at that point and are creating drag. Another important element is length of the shaft on your paddle. If your paddle is too short and you are choked up, you will not create as much leverage paddling. If you are too long you get out of the more efficient up down stroke and are too sideways.

Overall, stand up upwind is going to be challenging. It gets easier as you get more efficient with your paddling, but it is still going to be rigorous. The only tip of note for upwind that I have found is weighting your up wind rail particularly when you are perpendicular to the prevailing winds. In gusty trades, the winds can literally get underneath the rail of your board and knock you over unless you weight that rail.

Great info,
I have been playing around with various rail pressure techniques when paddling  in high wind and no wind conditions.  This seems an essential skill on and off wave.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »
weighting your up wind rail particularly when you are perpendicular to the prevailing winds. In gusty trades, the winds can literally get underneath the rail of your board and knock you over unless you weight that rail.

Great point,
Considering rail pressure in paddling has helped me a lot.  This extends past windy situations.  In smooth water, a bit of rail pressure on the paddle side can help you take more strokes on that side without need to switch sides.  You can use the rail, instead of only the fin, to help you track.  A little goes a long way.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal