Author Topic: JK Surfboards "Big Mac", Tower Fit Paddleboards, Spade soft tops?  (Read 8667 times)

jeeperz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Hello everyone,

Once again i reach out to the fine members of standupzone for some input.  I just returned from trip to Hawaii and had the chance to try sup in surf for the first time.  It was a difficult but fun experience.  Now that i am back in socal area, I would like to get a board that i would use for surf about 50% of the time, but also stable and "big guy" friendly.  I am 45, 5'8, 200lbs and my balance is not great.   I want to keep the price below $700, and a two companies that popped up on my radar seem like a potential good fit.  Tower paddleboards in San Diego offer a 9'10x32 board that is just over 200ltrs for $600, and Jk surfboards in el segundo make a few boards that i am interested in...a 9x33 soft top made by Spade and a 10x34 they call big mac.  Does anyone have any experience with these companies and these boards regarding performance or quality?  In this price range, what else makes sense for an all around that is surf friendly, wide and stable?

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:19:56 PM by jeeperz »

MT_Dweller

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: JK Surfboards "Big Mac", Tower Fit Paddleboards, Spade soft tops?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 11:23:39 AM »
I've got 2 of the Tower SUPs, the 9'10" Fit and the 11' 5" Social.  I usually use the Social as we only have fresh water around, and my wife uses the Fit.  Both of us are happy with the boards, only thing I can compare then to were a couple different rentals on Kauai.  I'm 240lbs and I sink the Fit in fresh water, but the Social floats me fine.  Both boards perform better than the rentals, and are much lighter in weight.  I've dinged a few rocks with no noticeable wear and they track great.  My wife says that the Fit is great till the wind picks up (which it does often here) and due to the rocker she gets blown around a bit, I don't notice it myself.  Overall we are satisfied with the boards and would recommend them for great cheaper started boards.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 12:33:43 PM »
I'm not familiar with any of these boards, but one thing to check would be the thickness of the board.  A 9'10 by 32 that's over 200L has to be upwards of 5" thick and that can make tracking and navigating wind difficult (backing up what Dweller's wife experienced).  I feel like 4.75" is about as thick as I'd want a board to get.  I think the widths your looking at are great, but don't get too wide--my preference is no wider than 32" otherwise the 50% of the time you're paddling flatwater could have a lot of drag.  It's OK if it feels tippy at first--you'll grow into it.

All that said, you're looking at a price point where you can't have great expectations on performance--most of the stuff discussed on this board starts at about twice what you're looking to spend.  Nothing wrong with that--not everyone should have to spend $$ to enter a sport until they really know they're taking to it and are going to be out enough to make the investment in performance gear.

Another way to go is the used market.  SoCal has a bigger market than most and you might be able to find something nice used for $700-800.  Someone is also bound to mention Joe Blair to you as he makes boards for us big boys--worth a drive to see him as he has production boards with a good reputation that start at just a bit more than you're looking to spend--extra $$ but it's likely well-spent.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 01:53:30 PM »
Joe Blair. Best you can get in that size and price range you are looking.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 02:33:01 PM »
Joe Blair. Best you can get in that size and price range you are looking.

+1 on the Blair - you can demo any of his boards for free.  Just call him at his shop and set up a time.  Your balance would have to be pretty bad for his 10'1" to be too tippy....  Try them all if you can to see the difference!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal