Author Topic: paint chipping  (Read 10074 times)

SKIQUATTRO

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
paint chipping
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:06:20 AM »
for some reason, the manufacture of my board painted it after it was glassed, now, everytime the paddle hits the rail it chips paint off....its looking horrible...wondering if i can lightly sand the paint off the rails and leave raw or take a rattle can (spraypaint) and paint the rails .....
this ain't no dress rehersal

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
Re: paint chipping
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:14:57 AM »
Stop hitting the rail with the paddle is best solution.   2nd best is to wrap your paddle blade edge with 2 layers of electrical tape.  There are previous posts on this subject.

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 06:43:56 AM »
Ditto.  Painted rails are common

bean

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 07:16:36 AM »
wondering if i can lightly sand the paint off the rails and leave raw or take a rattle can (spraypaint) and paint the rails .....

Fill the chips with epoxy and sand smooth.   Mask-off and re-spray the rails with a matching color.  And as raf suggested, tape your paddle edges with electrical tape.  Use any color but black to avoid scuff marks.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 07:34:08 AM »
all the C4s from a few years back used to do this with the Tuf-lite or whatever construction they called it-i was still learning and paddle whacking was a daily occurrence-at first i would fix them but then they grew too numerous and my rails looked horrible. Decided i no longer cared what the board looked like, that i sucked and needed to get better, and that paddle edge wrap was a god-send.
Hone your paddle skills and get the wrap-currently i cheat a little and have a board with Carbon Rails-very tough and combined with paddle edge wrap my rails are still sexy.
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

VB

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:30:43 AM »
Very common problem with overseas made boards.  Like stated before electrical tape works good, but you will most likely get some black skuff marks from the tape.  In the future you might want to look at a custom shaped board that does not have a paint job.

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 05:42:59 PM »
Hi:

My Surftech Gerry Lopez bought last fall showed / s every little scuff from my electrical taped paddle.  It cleans up easy with some “goo-gone”.  Now that I’m happy with my surfing progress, I consider the scuff marks a badge of honor.  It no longer looks like prom queen but it’s delivered just as much fun!

RC

PS - 8/17 - a great day for surfing Cape Cod's outer beach.  My back was bothering me from Sunday's SUP session, so i did it laying down.  Still a "A" session

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 08:06:22 PM »
ya ron, nice surf today.  i hit up nauset in the afternoon.  kooked around til 7...far from surfers or anyone else for that matter.   then ate at Liams.  great day
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

bean

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 06:08:17 AM »
Hi:

My Surftech Gerry Lopez bought last fall showed / s every little scuff from my electrical taped paddle. 

Just get a roll of colored electrical tape; white or yellow for instance.   I have had no issues with just a single layer.

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 10:01:26 AM »
free to be....
Glad you are out there, and glad you are giving room to the surf crowd.
Been a little zooey out there this year, with different levels of folks putting themselves sometimes in the wrong place....puts all of us at risk for loosing access

I hit up turnout 3 yest....a nice bump...

I chipped the hell out of my first board, and just filled and painted

Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 01:20:14 PM »
Still feeling the glow - with or without a paddle it was great yesterday morning.

The seals were "thick as thieves".  Neither species was give'n way in the line up.  Who's was our?  My brother Mike from morebeach.com, owner of the famous Coastguard Camera.

RC

SKIQUATTRO

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 01:26:42 PM »
did the white electrical tape last night...looks good.

now i have to repair/paint the rails....

SUP Surfed Coast Guard Sunday morning, was clean, knee to thigh and i was the only one out....was in from 730-930, just trunks...caught more waves than i could count...monday was a wash out and couldnt make it out tues...
this ain't no dress rehersal

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 03:54:49 PM »
Krylon White matches most boards when you need to do a touch up repair.  My only beef is that its thin, as are most store brands, and it can easily run.

I picked up some Montana spray paint today at the art supply store.  This stuff is nice and doesn't run easily.  Made for the art community (AKA graffiti).  They have a nice assortment of colors and shades, gloss and matte.  I was finally able to find a suitable match to do some touch up to the nose of one of my demo boards.  It was a hard color to find, but the Montana paint was very close.

http://www.mtncolors.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal