Author Topic: board with good stability and good in surf  (Read 13552 times)

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
board with good stability and good in surf
« on: August 01, 2011, 04:18:46 AM »
i've been using an NSP 11'6"*33" and though i know it's a monster, i really love it in the surf. because it is so stable, i can stay out there for hours. yet, i know turning the thing is like turning a truck. i tried a Naish Mana 10'*32", but felt the change was too dramatic and that board didn't come close to the stability i'm used to. i also seriously doubt it has 210 ltrs of volume, as is stated. my NSP is 225 ltrs. my weight is 210, height 6'3".  i'm not into cruising, just surf.

sooo, any slightly larger guys out there have any suggestions? it may be i should just stick to my NSP until i get better, but WILL i get better using it?  i thought about the Whopper, but that has even less volume than what i believe the 10' Mana to have (~180 is my guess). Anyone tried the Coreban EZ? Or is it the length i should consider more (i.e., 10'6" should be my minimum?). 

sorry about all the questions, but it's all relatively new to me. thx.   

Aves

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: board with good stability and good in surf
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 04:28:02 AM »
I'm 6'4" 215 and love my Coreban Icon. Definitely worth checking out... stable and very maneuverable. I have it set up as a quad with Future controllers.

supguy35

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • http://hyperflexusa.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 04:39:32 AM »
the 10ft mana def  has 210ltrs to it. it's the one i use and i'm the same weight. if you didn't like that try the Nalu 11'4 it's little longer.

Working For:
Naish Paddle Boards
Hyperflex/ Neo-Sport Wetsuits
SUPreme Paddle Gear
Ion Cameras

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 04:52:07 AM »
The 10' Mana gets my vote too.. I'm your height and weight and I love mine.

DJ

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 06:00:29 AM »
Don't go from a NSP to an EZ if you want to progress your surfing.  Get the width of your board down.  You're going to have to put the time in on a smaller board to get use to it.  Provided your not making a drastic step down, it only takes a few session to get use to a new size.

I went from a 11-6x30 Cruiser, down to the 10x29.5 Icon.  Now I'm okay riding the 9-6 Performer and 9-0 Fusion on most days (240+ pounds).  Whatever you choose, just don't go too narrow.  Below 29" will probably become a challenge.  For surfing, the 11-6 will feel like a massive barge once you get use to something a little smaller.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 06:50:26 AM »
Joe Blair 10'1" gets my vote. Super stable back when I was 245 lbs (I'm 6-1). Great price, surfs nicely, good set of fins, and pretty durable. Shouldn't be too much of a learning curve. Joe's in Solana Beach but can ship too.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 06:56:52 AM »
I'm a bit bigger than you and love the Starboard Wide Points...have both the 8'10" and the 10'5". Being tall, the stability of 32" width helps out in my usual less-than-clean conditions. Volume-wise, both float my 220 lbs very well.

For you stepping down from your big board, look at the larger 10'5" WP. I have ridden all of the boards mentioned (except for the Coreban EZ and Fusion) but have an Icon. In every aspect the WP out-performs all of them. Great paddler, fast on a wave and responsive in turns. Just a really, really well-designed board. And so far has been very durable.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 07:12:20 AM »
10.5 Wide Point can't go wrong and good luck finding a board that's this wide and still surfs very very well.
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

Absolutetrip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Absolute trip Standup Paddle Surfboards
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 07:47:19 AM »
It kills me how many people take a proverbial size 16 or size 8 shoe and try to make it fit a size 13 foot. With that said all I do is SUP surf I am about the same size as you guys and have stable boards down to 7'10" range.

Ask yourself: What kind of surfing do I like to do on my SUP? Classic log style, performance longboard style, or funshape ripping or full on short board hotdogging?

Figure out what you want to do with the board find a good experienced shaper, be honest about your ability and have him build you a perfect fit. What you will end up with is a series of stepping stones as your ability progresses so will your boards. Rather than stuffing your proverbial SUP foot in a size 9 shoe.
 I get quite a few guys asking the same things as you and I build this 11' SUP nose rider longboard style that is made to fit the riders weight, mine is 3.5" thick 30" wide has the exact amount of foam in it that it takes to float me and thats how these are made for people. Ironically enough I build quite a few of these strictly surf SUP 11'ers and not to many months later the purchasers usually order a custom 9'6" performance longboard style SUP which I seem to be a good majority of my production right now. Good all around size for a variety of conditions and a good jumping off point to the sub 9ft SUPs.
 My philosophy as a shaper for well over 2 decades if you want to surf find a good experienced shaper who surfs SUPs to build your craft. You won't be sorry.

oldfartsuperdad

• Malibu Status
  • Its All About the Journey - Duh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 12:43:03 PM »
I've got to chime in here for the SB Widepoint - I've had my 10.5 out a several times now and it works very well for me - I spend much more time standing - going through the wash on the way out and it has allowed me to extend my sessions when the wind picks up and the water gets rough and choppy. It surfs like a much smaller board - quick getting on the wave and turns much more easily - someone got this one right in the design.  Also seems very durable so far...
my .02
SIC Bullet V2 14
Custom L41 S3 8.4  145 L
Sunova Creek 9.4 148ltr

WaterDog

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 02:54:55 PM »
Get the width of your board down.  You're going to have to put the time in on a smaller board to get use to it.  Provided your not making a drastic step down, it only takes a few session to get use to a new size.

I agree.  I went from the same board (NSP 11'6) to a 10'6 Laird/Pearson Arrow - freakin awesome board for surfing.  Its a much thinner board, floats me fine, great shape, rails, everything - pretty happy with it.  I did wait though - wanted to make sure I was more experienced with the NSP - also I surf long boards, so the switch was a little easier.

I also did a few session on flat water to get used to the different size and balance - I didn't want to hurt myself or anyone else in the surf. 

Rent a few different sizes to see what you like.  Best of luck!

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 03:53:27 PM »
Cheapest thing first, try messing around with your fin set up.  Take off the side bites and move your center fin forward (or back) in the box, see if that's more what you had in mind.

What board to buy next depends on what you want it to do, and how many boards you intend to have in your quiver.  I think everyone needs a big board for really small days and teaching your friends, etc. 

captain twang

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 02:40:41 AM »
^^^^^^^^
ahhh, tha nsp 11,6.....
had it last year  as my first board and really liked it.
i would suggest the fin-thing too. it goes a lot faster without the sidebites.
then i horsetraded mine for a 11,6 nalu and was surprised, how much faster that is!
but also  a good bit wigglier. but you get used to it quick.
i kinda regret, that i donīt have the nsp anymore. it was heavy but a good board. i was able to pose a  "hang 5" on a flat lake. canīt do that on my newer boards anymore. ;D
eddie

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 06:42:29 AM »
thx for all the good suggestions. i have no intentions of getting rid of my NSP till it 'dies'. But from the comments i suppose there's no magical board out there that will give me the stability of the big NSP with better surfing capability.  i was (lazily) hoping there would be. I've never surfed a day in my life till getting on the NSP, so 'slashing' the waves is beyond my comprehrension at this pt. i just enjoy those nice long rides, but like everything, ya gotta progress or it gets dull.

I think the Starboard WP might be a better fit for my next step up...baby steps for me i suppose. plus i'll try messing w/my current fins...didn't realize that made such a difference. thx again!   

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 07:11:36 AM »
It kills me how many people take a proverbial size 16 or size 8 shoe and try to make it fit a size 13 foot. With that said all I do is SUP surf I am about the same size as you guys and have stable boards down to 7'10" range.

Ask yourself: What kind of surfing do I like to do on my SUP? Classic log style, performance longboard style, or funshape ripping or full on short board hotdogging?

Figure out what you want to do with the board find a good experienced shaper, be honest about your ability and have him build you a perfect fit. What you will end up with is a series of stepping stones as your ability progresses so will your boards. Rather than stuffing your proverbial SUP foot in a size 9 shoe.
 I get quite a few guys asking the same things as you and I build this 11' SUP nose rider longboard style that is made to fit the riders weight, mine is 3.5" thick 30" wide has the exact amount of foam in it that it takes to float me and thats how these are made for people. Ironically enough I build quite a few of these strictly surf SUP 11'ers and not to many months later the purchasers usually order a custom 9'6" performance longboard style SUP which I seem to be a good majority of my production right now. Good all around size for a variety of conditions and a good jumping off point to the sub 9ft SUPs.
 My philosophy as a shaper for well over 2 decades if you want to surf find a good experienced shaper who surfs SUPs to build your craft. You won't be sorry.

Hey Ron, since you deal with way more people asking you for advice than us regular people, I wonder how you go about learning the following about a person so you make the right recommendation. It's something I struggle with when asked.

1) Judging the persons personality. For example, are they cry babies when faced with a challenge. Or do they love new challenges and laugh and enjoy it more, the harder it is.

The answer to this question can make a huge difference in what we recommend. Unfortunately it's hard to come right out and ask it this way, but it's what we really need to know. I face the same predicament making windsurfing and kitesurfing recommendations too.  ;D

The harder it is, the more fun for me. I can get people in trouble recommending what I would do  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal