Author Topic: Starboard Ace 14' x 25"  (Read 74427 times)

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Starboard Ace 14' x 25"
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2013, 04:11:32 PM »
Nice double rainbow shot.

My 2013 14x23.5" Ace should be here soon.

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2013, 05:11:41 PM »

Thanks Argosi! The 25" is enough challenge for me in open ocean conditions.  Please post a review with pics when you get it!

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2013, 06:52:50 PM »

Thanks Argosi! The 25" is enough challenge for me in open ocean conditions.  Please post a review with pics when you get it!

Even though I'm not racing anymore and reluctantly sold my Ace, I've been close to contacting the owner, friend and fellow paddler, for a quick ride. The Ace has no match.
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2013, 02:54:26 PM »
Another update on the Ace.  Went for a paddle on Saturday and the conditions started out flat in the bay.  The Ace was fast in the flats, but once outside the bay, there were slow rolling cross swells which slowed me down quite a bit.  I was using the Future Large Cutaway but it just didn't feel like enough stability in those side swell conditions.  My friends on 12', 14', and 17' Bullets pulled away.  When we got back into the bay, a rain squal approached from behind and kicked up the wind.  Stability was much better because swells were from behind.  Did a short in the bay downwinder and the Ace was just as fast or maybe a bit faster than the Bullets.  The Ace was connecting 3 or 4 runners and it was quite a blast although my legs are toast today from the balance issues.  Still in search for a fin to slow down the tip a bit in rough open ocean, will probably borrow a Gladiator Elite but for now will put the Gladiator Hybrid back on. 

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2013, 04:40:40 PM »
Still in search for a fin to slow down the tip a bit in rough open ocean, will probably borrow a Gladiator Elite but for now will put the Gladiator Hybrid back on. 

Ninja?

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2013, 05:40:49 PM »
Still in search for a fin to slow down the tip a bit in rough open ocean, will probably borrow a Gladiator Elite but for now will put the Gladiator Hybrid back on. 

Ninja?

Thanks Jean for the suggestion but if you read back in the thread, I already tried the Ninja.  The Ninja will work in calm conditions on the Ace and probably in rough conditions on other, less tippy boards.  In open ocean swells that are disorganized or come from the side, the Ace is too tippy for my 175 lb weight and skill.  Maybe I'm spoiled because our SIC boards do so well in the open ocean.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2013, 07:07:01 PM »
Did a light wind downwinder on the 2013 Ace 14 x 23.5 last weekend, it was 5 to 20 knots and we had all sorts of mushy 2 or 3 foot swell and some strong sidewinds. Fell off a few times needless to say but what a great board! It had the standard fin in, just plonked right in the middle.

Certainly less stable than the 2012 25" version but not by a crazy amount, pretty sure I would have fallen over during the 10 miles on my own board but maybe not as many times. But its fast and seems to be a little more tolerant of punching into the wave in front. At one stage we were hit with quite strong side on wind but the swells were still running the right direction, focussed on trimming on the swells into the wind and made up a lot of ground. The soft rails on the front half of the board let you point crazy high on the wave and not trip. I didn't really notice the changes to the deck when paddling, but in reality it wasn't the day to be trying fancy footwork!

It feels really light, noticeably lighter than my 2012 25". Looking forward to trying the 2013 14 x 25, guessing that would be a superb all round board. Feel the downwind mojo returning...been stuck in surfing mode the last few months  :D

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2013, 12:19:05 AM »
Did a light wind downwinder on the 2013 Ace 14 x 23.5 last weekend, it was 5 to 20 knots and we had all sorts of mushy 2 or 3 foot swell and some strong sidewinds. Fell off a few times needless to say but what a great board! It had the standard fin in, just plonked right in the middle.

Certainly less stable than the 2012 25" version but not by a crazy amount, pretty sure I would have fallen over during the 10 miles on my own board but maybe not as many times. But its fast and seems to be a little more tolerant of punching into the wave in front. At one stage we were hit with quite strong side on wind but the swells were still running the right direction, focussed on trimming on the swells into the wind and made up a lot of ground. The soft rails on the front half of the board let you point crazy high on the wave and not trip. I didn't really notice the changes to the deck when paddling, but in reality it wasn't the day to be trying fancy footwork!

It feels really light, noticeably lighter than my 2012 25". Looking forward to trying the 2013 14 x 25, guessing that would be a superb all round board. Feel the downwind mojo returning...been stuck in surfing mode the last few months  :D

Good to see you back JC! Not sure if I asked you before but what fin are you using on your Ace 14x25? Was it a dolphin shaped fin? What length?  I love my Ace in light downwind, flats, small to moderate chop, into the wind, with the wind, but side swells and disorganized swells and chop still throw me in the drink. 

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2013, 09:32:12 AM »

Ninja?

Thanks Jean for the suggestion but if you read back in the thread, I already tried the Ninja.  The Ninja will work in calm conditions on the Ace and probably in rough conditions on other, less tippy boards.  In open ocean swells that are disorganized or come from the side, the Ace is too tippy for my 175 lb weight and skill.  Maybe I'm spoiled because our SIC boards do so well in the open ocean.

Ah okay :)

I'm definitively not an expert on fins, for some reason I thought that the Ninja was supposed to provide more stability assistance than the Gladiators.

Have you seen this interview with the designer of the Ace talking about the M2M race boards?

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2013, 06:04:09 PM »

Good to see you back JC! Not sure if I asked you before but what fin are you using on your Ace 14x25? Was it a dolphin shaped fin? What length?  I love my Ace in light downwind, flats, small to moderate chop, into the wind, with the wind, but side swells and disorganized swells and chop still throw me in the drink. 

Thanks Takeo, almost ashamed to admit that I've just been using the stock fin! I tried the Jeremy Riggs/Larry Allison  cut out fin on DJ's old style 14' Glide last week and really enjoyed it so I'm keen to try that and also the new smaller Gladiator on my Ace

Have to agree, that messy swell is tough on the Ace, I'm really curious to try the 2013 Ace 25 now, think it might have the speed and swell catching ability of the 2012 but slightly more stability if the 23.5" version is anything to go by.  One of the local guys has one, so with any luck I'll get a chance to try it and report back, the 23.5 was an absolute blast but because racing isn't my focus at all think I prefer the extra stability of the 25.

On the same messy run I tried PT's All Star 14' x 26", very different to the old Race series boards, finer more piercing nose, very stable and really easy to coax onto the messy swells. So stable that I would go the 25 for sure, lovely board, very easy and enjoyable.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2013, 06:37:30 PM »

Good to see you back JC! Not sure if I asked you before but what fin are you using on your Ace 14x25? Was it a dolphin shaped fin? What length?  I love my Ace in light downwind, flats, small to moderate chop, into the wind, with the wind, but side swells and disorganized swells and chop still throw me in the drink.  

Thanks Takeo, almost ashamed to admit that I've just been using the stock fin! I tried the Jeremy Riggs/Larry Allison  cut out fin on DJ's old style 14' Glide last week and really enjoyed it so I'm keen to try that and also the new smaller Gladiator on my Ace

Have to agree, that messy swell is tough on the Ace, I'm really curious to try the 2013 Ace 25 now, think it might have the speed and swell catching ability of the 2012 but slightly more stability if the 23.5" version is anything to go by.  One of the local guys has one, so with any luck I'll get a chance to try it and report back, the 23.5 was an absolute blast but because racing isn't my focus at all think I prefer the extra stability of the 25.

On the same messy run I tried PT's All Star 14' x 26", very different to the old Race series boards, finer more piercing nose, very stable and really easy to coax onto the messy swells. So stable that I would go the 25 for sure, lovely board, very easy and enjoyable.

Yes, great to see you here again Jonathan! I was wondering if we had lost you to surfski world. Sounds like you've been surfing instead.

Interesting to hear you tried the Ace 14x23.5 and the All Star 14x26 on the same downwind run. I've ordered the Ace 14x23.5 (supposed to be here soon) and I'm likely to also pick up a 14x25 All Star. I've been paddling a borrowed 14x25 Ace (2012 version) for the past little while but have yet to test any of the 2013 boards.

What are your thoughts on how the 14x23.5 Ace compares with the 14x26 All Star in downwind and other conditions? I assumed that the Ace would catch bumps better and glide better than the All Star while the All Star will be more stable and surfable in bigger conditions. It would be nice to hear from someone that's actually tried both boards back to back.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2013, 10:28:32 PM »

Good to see you back JC! Not sure if I asked you before but what fin are you using on your Ace 14x25? Was it a dolphin shaped fin? What length?  I love my Ace in light downwind, flats, small to moderate chop, into the wind, with the wind, but side swells and disorganized swells and chop still throw me in the drink.  

Thanks Takeo, almost ashamed to admit that I've just been using the stock fin! I tried the Jeremy Riggs/Larry Allison  cut out fin on DJ's old style 14' Glide last week and really enjoyed it so I'm keen to try that and also the new smaller Gladiator on my Ace

Have to agree, that messy swell is tough on the Ace, I'm really curious to try the 2013 Ace 25 now, think it might have the speed and swell catching ability of the 2012 but slightly more stability if the 23.5" version is anything to go by.  One of the local guys has one, so with any luck I'll get a chance to try it and report back, the 23.5 was an absolute blast but because racing isn't my focus at all think I prefer the extra stability of the 25.

Yes, great to see you here again Jonathan! I was wondering if we had lost you to surfski world. Sounds like you've been surfing instead.

Interesting to hear you tried the Ace 14x23.5 and the All Star 14x26 on the same downwind run. I've ordered the Ace 14x23.5 (supposed to be here soon) and I'm likely to also pick up a 14x25 All Star. I've been paddling a borrowed 14x25 Ace (2012 version) for the past little while but have yet to test any of the 2013 boards.

What are your thoughts on how the 14x23.5 Ace compares with the 14x26 All Star in downwind and other conditions? I assumed that the Ace would catch bumps better and glide better than the All Star while the All Star will be more stable and surfable in bigger conditions. It would be nice to hear from someone that's actually tried both boards back to back.

Thanks Argosi, Ace was definitely faster than the All Star for both PT and me, caught bumps more easily and certainly linked the bumps effortlessly. The conditions weren't big enough for the All Star to really shine, but I did find it more relaxing than the older Race version because it pierced the wave in front rather than slowing down, felt like it had a little less rocker than the model it replaced but very hard to tell. The All Star certainly felt faster than the Race on flat water, I remember the contrast between my Race and my Ace was quite startling with the Race feeling really sluggish on flat water in comparison. Of course the jump from 28 to 26" width would have made a difference there too. The thing that surprised me was how stable the All Star 26" felt, not really much less stable than the 28", again subjective because it's been a while since I paddled the 28".

So jumping from one to the other, stability or lack of, immediately noticeable when you got onto the narrow Ace, as I mentioned earlier the conditions were very messy.
The All Star caught the messy swell easily but just missed out on that almost magic ability of the Ace to link and catch waves that are hardly visible and seem to keep gliding through all sorts of side on interference and chop. It was a funny day for those two boards, too rough for the 23.5" Ace and too flat for the 26" All Star! Can't help thinking that either the 25" All Star or 25" Ace would have been better, Ace probably faster, All Star probably a little bit more fun. And in some ways that sums up the different characters of these two boards. If I was to sell the 2012 Ace and replace it I would really struggle to pick one over the other.

The Race 28" was outstanding in really big conditions, stable fast and secure, would love to try the All Star in comparable conditions. Hopefully PT can use the All Star tomorrow and report in, we have 35 to 40knot winds forecast - I can't make it unfortunately :(
I think it would be fantastic in the really big stuff.

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2013, 11:50:24 PM »

Thanks Takeo, almost ashamed to admit that I've just been using the stock fin! I tried the Jeremy Riggs/Larry Allison  cut out fin on DJ's old style 14' Glide last week and really enjoyed it so I'm keen to try that and also the new smaller Gladiator on my Ace

Have to agree, that messy swell is tough on the Ace, I'm really curious to try the 2013 Ace 25 now, think it might have the speed and swell catching ability of the 2012 but slightly more stability if the 23.5" version is anything to go by.  One of the local guys has one, so with any luck I'll get a chance to try it and report back, the 23.5 was an absolute blast but because racing isn't my focus at all think I prefer the extra stability of the 25.

I'm glad to hear even you feel the Ace is challenging in the messy stuff! I fell a couple times this weekend and was very disappointed in myself.  But once I hit the downwind, the Ace just took off and I was all smiles till shore! It's definitely a challenging board, not stable like the SIC boards which downwind really well, even is smaller stuff.  I know the stock fin is too little stability for my size, skill, and water conditions.  I"ll gladly give up some speed for stability.  I hate getting back on that board, it's like a tippy kayak in rough water.

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2013, 03:02:51 PM »
Well I took the Kool Aid..bought a 2012 14x25 brushed carbon Ace. My thoughts so far on it.. Fricken love it! It makes our Pacific Northwest close frequency swells way more fun. The way it links runners is amazing. The beach we normally paddle is a very shallow area and we have to paddle upwind then down and keep repeating. The Ace actually makes the upwind enjoyable. Easily the most efficient upwind chop board I have tried. Once pointed downwind the speed is addicting. We have smaller swells so I can see why big conditions like Hawaii would be scary!

Flat conditions I am still trying to figure out. Feel like my 14x25 Ace Pro is quicker. Looking for fin and feet placement advise for flat water? I weigh 185lbs and tried being all the way forward, felt like it was pushing water big time. In fact did a local race and had people comment the wake I created was surf able lol. Currently using a Ninja fin on it.

Looking to hear what everyone runs as a flat water fin as well as foot placement for trim.

Thanks,
Corey

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2013, 04:15:33 PM »
Takeo,

I've just come back to this thread. 

I gave up on the 25" for a while due to stability in the big stuff and went up to the 27", much more stable but way too much volume even for me (95kg) and it looses a lot of glide.

I've moved back to a 2012 25" and I'm running a 10" Naish surf fin, ugly as.. but its has two great qualities
1) Lots of side volume  towards the tip of the fin.  This gives me good stability and recovery
2) A vertical leading edge which give good turn. The laid back weed style fin don't give you a pivot point and upright fin does.

With this fin in I can let the board rip on the big stuff and mostly stay on. On the smaller waves I can actually get some control out of the rails.

I've been trying to find a fin to match this without the wide cross section but not having much luck

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal