Author Topic: Starboard Ace 14' x 25"  (Read 74424 times)

windup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Starboard Ace 14' x 25"
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2012, 03:36:31 AM »
I just picked up my Gladiator hybrid fin from the post office ( thanks Casey), will be testing it in a Ace 14X25"carbon tomorrow.
I will see how my 240lbs goes in chop.
Maybe i will be buying the 27"

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2012, 11:09:36 AM »
I just picked up my Gladiator hybrid fin from the post office ( thanks Casey), will be testing it in a Ace 14X25"carbon tomorrow.
I will see how my 240lbs goes in chop.
Maybe i will be buying the 27"

240 lb on the 14'x25", wow! I'm 166, on my first day, I questioned whether I made the wrong decision by getting the 25 wide, but I didn't fall, and the more time I spent on the board, the better it got!  Not sure if I'm ready for the downwind like Jonathan or Argosi, but with each trip, the tippiness goes away. 

I'm curious what others are using for fins.  The board feels really fast with ths stock fin, but in chop and wind, it just doesn't track well. The Gladiator Hybrid seems to stable things out, but I'm not sure if it affects overall speed.  Course if it reduces balance checks or falling in, overall speed will be improved.

windup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2012, 12:38:14 PM »
Maybe i didn't convert that right :D
I'm about 218lb.
It's only a demo board so i will see how i go,
Trying to find a board that i can race in flat water and my 121lb wife can do light down winders on.
I will go back to my 29" board when downwinding ;D

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2012, 10:09:48 AM »
Here's a link to a page with lots of info on the Ace, including photos and a video: http://kayaksport.phanfare.com/5729757

I've included the text here as well:

The Fastest 14' Board Around

Don't forget to view the photos, video, and slide show after the commentary below.

The Starboard Ace 14' x 25" has proven itself as likely the fastest SUP board in flatwater, small chop, and mild to moderate downwind conditions. The top speed performance in such varied conditions is unparalleled among SUP boards.

The board has an advantage over other race boards in upwind or downwind conditions. The rounded nose floats over upwind chop rather than piercing through it like many other race boards. Unexpectedly, this nose design has proven to result in faster upwind speed than piercing noses. This advantage is most easily seen when paddling the Ace side by side with other race boards going upwind - we haven't come across a faster upwind board.

When going downwind, it'll be obvious to the experienced downwind paddler that the Ace catches even the smallest bumps better than pretty much any other board. Side by side testing makes this apparent as well.

The amazing thing is that this board is also one of the fastest boards in flatwater conditions. We've never before seen a board that excels in such varied conditions.

Suggested weights for riders of average skill in different conditions:
Flat water: 185lbs or less
Small chop: 175lbs or less
Downwind: 165lbs or less (in mild to moderate conditions)
Riders with better than average skills can be heavier while novice paddlers should be lighter than the suggested weights.

This board will feel tippy when you first paddle it as the rounded rails cause it to roll side to side more easily. However, secondary stability is excellent which means you can tip it sideways a lot without falling in (with experience). The high sides and rounded rails are design factors that make the Ace so responsive and slippery in downwind and upwind conditions. So you need to be willing to spend some time on the board to get the most out of it. The rewards in fun and speed are definitely worth the effort. Some people actually find the learning process fun!

See the following links for more information on this board:

Comprehensive 14' board speed test where the Ace was the clear winner among 14 other race boards:
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/RPS-SUP-Vic-ultimate-14-board-test-results/

Seven pages of comments, photos, and videos from an open SUP forum discussing this board:
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=12489.0

Starboard's web site:
http://www.star-board-sup.com/2012/product/?q=ace-14-0-25

Email with summary results from the speed test of 14' boards:

Hi Mike and David,

Here's a link to a recent test done on 14 SUP boards, each one 14' long: http://www.supvic.com/the-rps-supvic-ultimate-14-board-test/ This is probably the best and most comprehensive speed test of SUP boards ever done.

They had 14 paddlers paddle each one of the 14 boards over a flat water 300m course with a 180 degree turn halfway. However 5 of the paddlers didn't test all 14 boards so their results were not included.

The winner of the test was the Starboard Ace 14' x 25", by a clear margin. It was interesting to see that this board was the fastest in flat water, which I didn't expect. I know that this board is also great in mild to moderate downwind conditions.

Here's a summary of the results:
So the accumulative total (each paddler's time on the board added together) for each board ranked by best time:

1. 19:06 - Starboard Ace 25
2. 19:36 (equal) - DC14 & NSP
4. 19:42 - Naish Javelin
5. 19:48 - Fanatic Fly Race Flat
6. 19:50 - Surftech Bark Dominator
7. 19:51 - Starboard Ace Pro
8. 19:52 - Starboard Ace 27
9. 20:10 - Surftech JM Paddleboards
10. 20:26 - Naish Glide
11. 20:34 - Fanatic Fly Race Open
12. 20:40 - Starboard Pierce Touring
13. 20:45 - Sunny King
14: 21:00 - Starboard Open Ocean AST
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:21:18 AM by Argosi »

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2012, 12:53:38 PM »
Is there a consensus on what is the "best" fin for this board?  I'm still using the stock fin and wondering if there is something which increases stability but does not slow the board.

paddlesurfer75

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2012, 07:45:36 AM »
anyone know rider weights for the 27" for flat water small chop and downwind

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2012, 06:00:39 PM »
One of our crew just got the 27" - I think he's just over 100 kegs or about 225lb. He hasn't brought it out on a downwind run yet because he mangled his knee in a skiing accident. But I think he will have it running nicely this southern Summer.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2012, 08:31:57 PM »
I have a couple Carbon 14'X25" Aces for sale.
Demo'd
Half Price.

Ralph
Sup-position
Huntington Beach, California, USA
(714) 899-3020

www.Sup-position.com
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2012, 11:24:37 AM »
Been spending more time on the Ace and tippiness is not as pronounced as the first week of paddling, but it's still there.  The challenge and progress is quite fun!

The comments and articles about this board is all spot on.  In flatwater, the board is really stable at my 166 lb weight and it glides with little effort.  Does not feel like 31 lbs of board on the water.  As chop and wind picks up, the board just eats it all up, especially the bigger chop and wind!  Keep the motor running and the Ace will just pound through the tough stuff all the while making progress while others will be burrying their noses.  Going with swells the Ace grabs everything!  Even boat wakes in a calm bay are rideable! In open ocean, where the swells become more disorganized, the Ace is a bit more challenging.  Especially if the speed is not up such as between glides or into the swells or when swell and wind is coming from the side.  The more I'm on the board, the more I realize that the Ace can probably do it all, it's the paddler whose holding back it's potential. 

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2012, 08:50:07 PM »
Is there a consensus on what is the "best" fin for this board?  I'm still using the stock fin and wondering if there is something which increases stability but does not slow the board.

I asked a few folks about a good fin choice for the 14x25" Ace.  Larry recommended the Elite Gladiator. I told him i mostly in flat water and 190lbs of weight at 6'4". I ask a couple of others what they use on there Ace and got 1 Curtis fins Ell grass race, and 1 Future Fins - Triangle Cutaway lg. They said those larger fins made a big difference in stability.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starboard Ace --- not like the others???
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2012, 06:37:59 PM »
I just got my Ace Yesterday, used, but new to me.  :)

Looking at It I see it is not like the others. Not  sure why.
 (keep in mind i have never seen another Ace in person)
1. The drain holes are far apart, little over 24" apart.
2. It has a flat bottom. (Literature says it should be concave)
3. The tail has a little bevel to it. See Photo
4. The cockpit looks bigger than the photos ive seen but this may be photo angles. the nose is 4'3"long, the cockpit is 8'3" long (top to top) then the tail 18".
5. The signature.

No biggy, Im just curious as to why mine might be different. I was just hoping someone could shed some light on the differences.
  I would like to no what difference the flat bottom might make or if others also have flat bottoms?

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2012, 07:02:10 AM »
Hi Fishman

I have the 2011 Ace 14' x 25" and it looks different in the cockpit (drains close together) and no bevel on the tail.
Not sure about the concave though. Have you placed a strait edge perpendicular to the bottom of your Ace? On my board, the concave is subtle, it won't jump to the eye.
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »
Hi Fishman

I have the 2011 Ace 14' x 25" and it looks different in the cockpit (drains close together) and no bevel on the tail.
Not sure about the concave though. Have you placed a strait edge perpendicular to the bottom of your Ace? On my board, the concave is subtle, it won't jump to the eye.

Yeah, i rolled and sled a 48" floresent light bulb from one end to the other. No concave anywhere. Almost perfectly flat. Just slightest bow outward/convex.

It does not have any handles ether.  ???

Here's another photo of the cockpit.

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2012, 10:34:05 AM »
Some pictures of my Ace's cockpit for the purpose of comparison. And of the bottom to show where the concave is (although won't show in the picture) inside the black lines, where the Starboard logo and measurements are located.
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2012, 01:23:59 PM »
Thanks B & Fit.

Huh, You know, the board doesn't say Ace anywhere.
 I don't think mine is a Ace after all. The signature says "Elite Racing Design". I'm puzzled, I bought it as a 2011 Ace. It looks like a standard production board AST, it even says made in Thailand. :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal