Author Topic: Starboard Ace 14' x 25"  (Read 74447 times)

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Starboard Ace 14' x 25"
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2012, 12:35:29 PM »
I am actually quite surprised with how accurate the numbers I get from my Garmin seem to be.  I'm like ultra-nerd because I typically have TWO Garmins on me when I train - the 305 on my wrist, and an old Foretrex 201 which i have "mounted" with pipe tape to the front of my board, and which is set to display only speed.  I use the 201 like a speedometer to give me speed readings in real time while I'm paddling. 

The numbers which are recorded by the two GPS units are uncannily similar.  If I get a spike in my number its more likely that I caught an odd boat wake or a wave which allowed the speed to increase for a brief period, as invariably both units record the same spike.  I've never had a situation when I got some ridiculous reading on one but not the other.

Getting back to the topic of the ACE 27", I agree that the conditions of a particular run may have had more to do with a particular top speed, especially if that speed were just a brief uptick.  As DJ noted, getting a blast of wind in the face can do murder to a particular sprint, but a nice gust from behind can give you a great run.

jt737

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2012, 04:44:09 AM »
I bought the 2011 14x25" Ace AST that JC used to own and am amazed at this board. We do a 4.3km (3.66mile) flat water course with three turns around a lake, once a week with staggered starts that have us all finish about the same time. I'm 51 and keep setting PB times on this board, whilst hard to turn its also initially tippy but just gets more stable the faster it goes. My average speed is 9.05 km/hr or 5.6mph on the course.
I use a Speedpuck GPS to measure speed and this board just cruises along at the 9-10 km/hr.
Downwinders are a blast in up to 15kts for me, the board just accelerates into runners and just sits there.  For rougher conditions id probably be better off with a carbon Ace 27", but have a daughters wedding coming up so no upgrades for now  I'm also paddling the Ke Nalu blades which I love.

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2012, 04:57:28 PM »
Any more updates from the Ace owners? Any more videos?  Anybody know the weights of the boards? 

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2012, 07:11:09 PM »
14 x 25" AST weighs in at 35.5 pounds per my cheapo scale.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2012, 05:48:39 PM »
14 x 25" AST weighs in at 35.5 pounds per my cheapo scale.

Is that with the fin or bare?

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2012, 05:57:49 PM »
14' x 25" carbon Ace without fin weighed 31.6 pounds on my scale (a nice digital scale meant for body weight - I weighed myself holding the Ace and then without the Ace and subtracted the numbers).

The listed spec weights are 29.66lbs for carbon and 32.65lbs for AST.

So the carbon board I weighed was about a 2lbs heaver than spec.

If the AST was 35.5lbs (assuming without fin) as measured by 1paddle2paddle, then it's about 3.9lbs heavier than carbon. Not sure if it's worth the big price premium for carbon. Probably doesn't make much difference at all on the water but a bigger difference when carrying the board or loading it on your car.

Both the carbon and AST boards are pretty damn heavy for such a fast board!

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2012, 06:12:36 PM »
So I finally got to try out a 14' x 25' Ace (carbon) a month ago. Only had it out in about 10mph of wind for 20 minutes but it lived up to my high expectations. It caught bumps better than any board I've tried, which is just a little better than my 12'6" x 23.5" Starboard NEW, my previous champ for bump catching.

It also stayed on the bumps better than any board I've tried - significantly better than my NEW. This made for less effort while paddling compared with my NEW. It's also more stable than my NEW. Didn't have time for a GPS test though.

A fast friend of mine did test out the carbon Ace with GPS and compared it with his carbon 14' Bark (which is a Dominator or very similar to a Dominator) over a sprint distance. The Ace averaged 7.5mph and his Bark averaged 6.8mph. That's a huge speed advantage the Ace had over his Bark! He was impressed but said he would never be able to get used to the footwells on the Ace. He prefers flat deck boards. And that was his first and only time on the Ace.

Unfortunately the carbon Ace isn't mine. An AST Ace was supposed to be coming along with the carbon Ace but it wasn't part of the shipment.  I'm still waiting for my AST Ace.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 06:15:11 PM by Argosi »

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2012, 06:34:38 PM »
^^ I have a 14'x27" in Epoxy from last season - brand new - cheap.
You know my email!   ;D
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2012, 06:41:58 PM »
^^ I have a 14'x27" in Epoxy from last season - brand new - cheap.
You know my email!   ;D

Thanks but I really want the 25" wide version. The 27" one is great for heavier guys though.

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2012, 10:09:31 PM »
The 27" one is great for heavier guys though.

Funny you should say that...

I spent a couple of hours this morning trying out the 14x27 ACE carbon, I'm about 6'2 and hovering around 125kg, and a bit balance-challenged. I have to say at my size I wasn't expecting to have a good time on a 27" board but I was very pleasantly surprised at how tractable this craft is, once my brain relaxed into the initial rolliness of it. Conditions were light chop crossed up with some ship wake up to about a foot in places, and about 5-6kn headwind on the outbound leg. I found it really great upwind and straight into the chop, super-easy to catch and sit on a small runner with the swell and breeze directly behind but in side swell the wheels fell off a bit for me. It felt quick when it was working for me and when I was fresh but after the first hour the initial rolliness in the side chop had taken a bit more out of my legs than I'd realised (admittedly I've been pedalling more than paddling in recent weeks training for a hilly charity ride, and today was supposed to be a rest day, that will have contributed to the early leg fade).With a little bit of fatigue kicking in, the last 5km of my run home in fairly constant side swell were somewhat hard work. I took 4-5 involuntary swims, the thing truly is a PITA to climb back into but easy enough to get up and moving once there. I also tend to vary my stance a lot on my other, more conventional boards and I found the footwells narrow and a bit restrictive.

Pro: feels quick, lots more stable than expected, great straight upwind & down. and in flatter water.

Con: A bit of a handful in side swell/chop IMO. PITA to climb into after a fall. Footwells a bit restrictive.

Would I buy one? Maybe, if I were 20kg lighter, it sure goes quick when it's working right but overall I think the strengths of this board might be wasted on me. For a big bloke up to 105-110kg with a moderate degree of skill and fitness I'd say it's still well worth a look.  
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:34:30 PM by upwinder »
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2012, 08:23:47 AM »
Upwinder, I'd agree with your comments. Great summary with the Pros and Cons.

It does take a few sessions to get used to the board since it rolls sideways more easily than most boards.

Despite the cons, I love the Ace for the way it picks up and stays on bumps going downwind. The 25" wide version is also the fastest 14' board in flat water that  I know of, however the narrow version is not be suitable for bigger guys.

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »
Regarding cons, I was able to tame the ACE's manners in side swell by using a fin with larger area than the stock one, specifically at the tip. Also, standing with my toes flush with the rear drain, using a higher cadence with a shortened paddle shaft, keeping momentum and paddling bare foot all helped.

Seems one needs to relax, keep paddling, and let the board dance underneath. Trying to counter weight the rolling of the board is futile.

I concur totally with Argosi in the fact that this board is, once the leg's are trained, faster against all others I've paddled in the 14 ft range.

Enjoy !
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2012, 12:54:41 AM »
I removed the fin, leash, and even those two handles and the board still weighed 35.5 pounds!  My scale probably is not accurate enough to pick up the difference.

But I realized when I purchased the AST that it would be kind of heavy, and it does not bother me.  But Starboard has to work on getting its carbon boards lighter.  30 pounds for a board retailing for $3000 is a bit much, especially with Bill Foote making 14 boards well under 20 pounds.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2012, 10:54:53 PM »
Regarding cons, I was able to tame the ACE's manners in side swell by using a fin with larger area than the stock one, specifically at the tip.

Can you (or anyone) recommend a specific fin for the 14' x25" that might help with side swells...?
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2012, 02:51:59 AM »
Regarding cons, I was able to tame the ACE's manners in side swell by using a fin with larger area than the stock one, specifically at the tip.

Can you (or anyone) recommend a specific fin for the 14' x25" that might help with side swells...?

I just got my 14x25 last week so take my advice for what it's worth.  First day out it was choppy and we had to paddled into headwind, about 10-15 mph.  The ocean was very disorganized and I found myself using my paddle as a crutch to prevent falling in, I had the stock fin.   The following day, conditions were a bit more calm, but similar.  Replaced the stock fin with a Gladiator Hybrid, this improved tracking and seemed to slow down the tippyness.

As you know, swells from back or front is not much of a problem as swells from the side.  The wind also tends to catch the high rails and start turning it, I think the Gladiator Hybrid helps the board stay on track compared to the stock fin.  Perhaps the Gladiator Elite would be an even better option, I've yet to try that fin.

My board is carbon and weighs in around 31 lbs.  At first I was a bit disappointed with the weight for such a pricey board, but after being on the board in choppy and open ocean conditions, I'm glad the board has some weight.  Too light a board and the Ace would be corky.  I'm guessing the weight helps the board keep momentum.  The Ace is excellent downwind and upwind, catching the smallest of bumps and gliding over the most disturbed chop!

On flatwater, the board is plenty stable! In disorganized swells and open ocean Hawaiian swells, the tippyness can be a challenge but I'm finding with each voyage, the tippyness lessens. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal