Author Topic: New.. New 14' Glide.. first pics.  (Read 22265 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: New.. New 14' Glide.. first pics.
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2013, 05:05:34 PM »
You can see the 14' Javelin LE, now in 26" as well as 23", so looks like anyone unhappy that the 14' Glide went from 27" to 29" now has this new option.

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2013, 05:31:38 PM »
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2013, 05:51:15 PM »
I'm waiting for the shop to call today to say that it's in..  ;D

Didn't sleep much last night with the howling wind (30 knots the perfect DW direction) and I wake this morning and it's gone.. Looks like it will be awhile now till we get good DW conditions again..  :-[

DJ

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2013, 10:21:45 PM »
We got the new Glide 2014 and some of you may have seen the post on Seabreeze but here is a short recap.

In flatwater it smokes the old Glide, like, by a lot....it's super stable, easy to turn and very directional. It's only marginally slower than a Jav or LE in pure flats - for anyone who feel the LE23 or Jav is too unstable - this board will be faster.

Rocker is virtually identical to LE23 looking at them side by side which makes me think it should work very well downwind as well.

For those who were worried that the demise of the 27" Glide would leave a void (I was one of them) - no worries, this one already feels better, at least in the flats.

Hopefully we get some wind in the next week so I can beat DJ to a report on how it goes downwind - first impressions are excellent and I'm pretty confident that it will be as impressive as the LE23 on a downwind. The LE23 is amazing on a downwind - as long as its clean or you have cat-like abilities - the new Glide should allow us old cats the same sensation!

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2013, 12:11:00 AM »
peterp--thanks for the reviews and the info earlier in the thread.   What a lineup Naish has now with the Glides and Javelins.  I guess the question now is, with the Glide being fast for how stable it is, and the new 26" Javelin LE being stable for how fast it is, how would someone choose which would be best for himself?  

It seems like it could be a tough choice for someone of non-extreme size in non-extreme conditions.   

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2013, 09:50:46 AM »
peterp--thanks for the reviews and the info earlier in the thread.   What a lineup Naish has now with the Glides and Javelins.  I guess the question now is, with the Glide being fast for how stable it is, and the new 26" Javelin LE being stable for how fast it is, how would someone choose which would be best for himself?  

It seems like it could be a tough choice for someone of non-extreme size in non-extreme conditions.   

The LE26 is aimed at serious racers wanting the lightest fastest possible - so its light and more fragile than the Glide GX...the Glide won't be far behind from my first outing experience and if you are heavier its a no brainer - the Glide will be tough, comfortable and quick enough for all but the most discerning racers.

I will use the Glide GX in a 12km flatwater race this weekend - unfortunately it looks like it will be glass so the JAvelins and Sprints will probably kill me - but lets see how long I can hang on for!!

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2013, 08:00:13 PM »
Any one get to try out the Naish 14 x 26" LE?
price point kind of a bummer though. curious if the hard rails in the rear help better stability than the Jav 14'? shape looks great though

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2013, 10:18:08 PM »
PJ - I don't think anyone has seen one yet but from my experience with 23LE (which I find as stable as Jav) the 26 will have to be more user friendly for sure. In the 29 1/4 Glide, which is essentially the same shape, you have unbelievable stability.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2013, 06:09:58 AM »
Raced the new Glide GX this weekend in a 12km flatwater race in Johannesburg 1600m above sea-level. No wind, no current - flat as.

Kept up with the racing snakes on their LE's and Sprints for 6km where they were cruising at 9.1km/h - I was just hanging on in their draft and then had to complete last 6km in no-mans land to finish in 1h23 something - ave. speed 8.6km/h ca. 4 minutes behind the lead bunch. Had to stop trice to de-weed despite using weed-fin - bloody stubborn weed up there!

Quite impressed with the speed, board being 4 inches wider than the lead guys boards - I might have done a little better on the MC but really not that much in it.

Board definitely doubles up as a flatwater board.

Wind is building for a dwd today, latest tomorrow!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal