Author Topic: Broken paddle  (Read 3068 times)

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
Broken paddle
« on: July 10, 2011, 08:20:45 PM »
Loaned my LakeShore Paddleboard Company board & paddle to a friend today & he broke the paddle. He says he was just paddling along & it snapped. I saw him go down once or twice so I imagine he landed on the paddle  & cracked it, then finished it off paddling. I've been using this paddle for about a year now & leaned on it a LOT so I can't imagine it just cracked paddling.
Anyway, any suggestions on repairing it? I see several threads on here where guys have repaired paddles so it seems possible.
--
Bill

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Broken paddle
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 08:25:55 PM »
Slight tangent:  has anyone had a paddle break on them when they were SOL far from shore??

I was about 2miles out to sea today, had to come back into the wind, swell, boat traffic, and was wondering  the same thing...  :-[

As in, what would I do if the paddle broke....
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 01:45:40 AM »
Slight tangent:  has anyone had a paddle break on them when they were SOL far from shore??

Yes, it was 1 mile offshore, SUP-surfing an offshore reef. perfect session, broke my paddle by falling on it after 5 hours surfing. I was a bit wary of the paddle back since I was exhausted, but I found out a very good technique:

lay totally flat (prone) on the board. I slipped the (remains of my) paddle in my leash velcro at the knee.
lay the left arm totally decontracted straight ahead of you on the board while paddling 4-5 strokes with the right arm.
at the end of the 5th stroke, lay the right arm on the board and repeat with left arm.
This way I was able to get back in a pinch (took 25mn back instead of 20mn going out paddling), impervious to wind. I felt I could have made many more miles this way: my body was totally relaxed (head on the board: chin or cheek or front), the arm n the board was able to entirely recuperate between strokes.

I tried regular prone or knee paddling at first, but couldn't sustain more than 50 meters in a row due to exhaustion and lack of training.

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 03:53:18 AM »
A repair at this spot should be pretty easy,  I had a C4 paddle break in the same spot from hitting the sand.

Did you keep the handle end of the shaft when you cut it down?  I kept mine for 4 years and knew it would be handy for something one day!

If you have the tapered end and are lucky it will fit inside of the blade and bottom of the shaft.  If not you can cut a slot down the end bit and fit it.  You will of course need to drill and poke out the divinycell inside the blade.  Ensure that it all fits nice and tight and epoxy it into place.

Once this has gone off, laminate a wrap of carbon around the outside of the join.  You may need some glassing and sanding skills here.  Fixed mine like this and is stronger now than new.

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 06:52:35 AM »
I've had a QB break at the same spot.  Fell off to the opposite side and the water pressure on the blade was enough to snap it.

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 08:44:24 AM »
The shaft appears to be solid at the end. So I'm thinkin I can just hog out the foam core in the blade, sand down the shaft a bit so it will fit inside the blade. Use whatever epoxy  or resin to make it stick, & then do the wrap like you suggested.

So any idea where I can get the materials to do the job?

Thanks guys.

A repair at this spot should be pretty easy,  I had a C4 paddle break in the same spot from hitting the sand.

Did you keep the handle end of the shaft when you cut it down?  I kept mine for 4 years and knew it would be handy for something one day!

If you have the tapered end and are lucky it will fit inside of the blade and bottom of the shaft.  If not you can cut a slot down the end bit and fit it.  You will of course need to drill and poke out the divinycell inside the blade.  Ensure that it all fits nice and tight and epoxy it into place.

Once this has gone off, laminate a wrap of carbon around the outside of the join.  You may need some glassing and sanding skills here.  Fixed mine like this and is stronger now than new.
--
Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal