Author Topic: Say whaat?  (Read 8655 times)

fms

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Say whaat?
« on: July 10, 2011, 07:49:32 PM »
Not to sound like a cheap bastard ,but has surf apparel just gotten way out of control ? I personally don't buy a lot of this stuff {I prefer to spend my cash on boards and paddles} and now I know why. Just stopped by a friends shop today to see what was going on and decided to find a pair of shorts to replace my existing ones, and OH MY GOD  $85 bucks for a pair of Hurley's !!!!! He saw me checking them out and said " I'll give you a deal on those because there not moving for some reason, not sure why they're  sweet ". Looks like I''ll be cutting some denim. Am I the only one that  wears cut offs and finds these prices a bit high ?

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Say whaat?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:55:10 PM »
man I hear that. It's TJ Max or Marshalls for name brand board shorts for $20-30 for me
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 08:00:09 PM »
Save your money for new boards and paddles. I have found so many great surf trunks at thrift stores.
My last treasure find was a pair of brand new (with tags) O'Neill Superfreak trunks (in my size) that retail for 65 dollars, marked at $5.99.
Total score.... But wait!
I was there on a 50 per cent off day. I was out the door and in the water for three bucks.
True story.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 08:23:25 PM »
Pretty sure your buddy the shop owner (who you blew off) considers you a cheap bastard  :D
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 08:38:27 PM »
I hear ya but a well made pair of shorts will last a long time and be more comfortable doing it. I am a cheap bastard though. the Maui Builts I wear I bought 3 years ago... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

XERO

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 09:36:40 PM »
I bought O'Neill surf shorts at Costco for $20.

endlessfight

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 04:53:19 AM »
i buy most of my stuff off whiskeymilitia.com

Glider

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 05:33:58 AM »
Cut off levi's & a nice tee shirt, for me.  But for steppin out with my wife, she forced me into a very nice costo $15 pr.  Most of my $$ goes for wetsuits, boards & paddles as it should be.  Does anybody really care what a 58 yr old one eyed bald headin to much to sunned waterman looks like.  Me thinks not.  Well maybe my wife, only because she still loves me.  Prices have always been high at surf shops selling image.  Overall I think it's fair to say most serious surfers, windsurfers, supers are cheap, we put our our money into gear, again as it should be.  Clothes, shoes etc. does not =performance in the water.  Nothing like a good score at a thrift shop, garage sail or swap meet. 

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 05:47:16 AM »
Overall I think it's fair to say most serious surfers, windsurfers, supers are cheap, we put our our money into gear, again as it should be.  Clothes, shoes etc. does not =performance in the water.  Nothing like a good score at a thrift shop, garage sail or swap meet.

I always thought part of the sport (Windsurfing and  now SUP)  was the search for quality gear at bargain prices.  I used to be a cheap bastard but now I find I'm not only fashionably frugal  but also enviromentally responsible.

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 07:05:43 AM »
funny story... was out in maui and realized i didn't pack anything to wear in the water. no biggie, just paid full price for one at a shop and decided to hit the second hand stores for the rest of the wardrobe. when i asked my gracious host to drop me off at said resale shop he offered to give me all the ones he's been saving to put up for donation. our dear friend must've given me over 30 pair many still with tags.  this was over a year ago and just yesterday i reached into the drawer and pulled a fresh one out that's never seen the light of day.

heheheh... many mahalo's!
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 07:27:28 AM »
Save your money for new boards and paddles. I have found so many great surf trunks at thrift stores.
My last treasure find was a pair of brand new (with tags) O'Neill Superfreak trunks (in my size) that retail for 65 dollars, marked at $5.99.
I was there on a 50 per cent off day. I was out the door and in the water for three bucks.
True story.

Were you in the short/apparel bus at one point?  I think Shapeshifter has a pair of your shorts now...or of one of your namesakes.

Glider

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 01:18:31 PM »
frugal works for me, always looking for the best made gear at the best price I can find as well.  See ya at the dollar store for tooth paste and the lot.

BUT always buy a warm well constructed wetsuit  & boards ! 

lakesurfer

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 01:45:04 PM »
They must have really hiked up the price on those Hurley's.  We can get a new pair of the Phantom shorts, supposed to be their most popular ones, for $65 here.  Still expensive, but not $85.  we have a great downtown sidewalk sale here at the end of summer.  Some really great scores to be had there.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 03:42:35 PM »
True story.

Were you in the short/apparel bus at one point?  I think Shapeshifter has a pair of your shorts now...or of one of your namesakes.

Total collectors items now. Could be worth less than the three bucks of my thrift store trunks.
They say the easiest way to have a million dollars is to spend two million on a small business.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 03:57:52 PM »
Trunks are getting quite hi tech.   The more tech the higher the price.

I have trunks that go from $39.99 (Quiksliver and Volcom) up to $99.99   Most are around $49.99 to $59.99 
I will say though - once you wear the new tech (stretch / welded seams / etc) it's hard to go back to cheap trunks.
It's like everything else in the world - - you pay for what you get.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal