Author Topic: Paddle use when surfing  (Read 4636 times)

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Paddle use when surfing
« on: July 08, 2011, 07:22:17 PM »
I noticed that in this picture of Ekolu Kalama going backside, his paddle is behind his body trailing in the wave.  I wondered if this is the standard way to utilize one's paddle when surfing backside, or if the across the front of the body, torso slightly twisted approach is more common. What are the advantages of each approach in terms of, e.g., safety, balance, leverage and edging, etc.

Most of my SUP wave riding experience is front-side and I have noticed how much it does for my balance, edging and speed as i learn to use the paddle. I was hoping for some advice that would help me get off on the righ foot, so to speak, for back-side SUP surfing.

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle use when surfing
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 08:21:02 PM »
PS. I should have mentioned that this photo was "borrowed" from a Blane Chambers post.

maui wave warrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 09:16:09 PM »
I use this technique when taking steeper drops backside as leaning on the paddle helps to maintain balance. Looks like Ekolu is doing the same and then using the paddle to slow his speed to get in the barrel.

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
That makes sense. But i am wondering whether you might cross the paddle over in front of you and into the wave face, sort of like Laird here, and when you might tend to do it behind your back (as Ekulo is doing on the other picture).  What are the trade-offs? Which is more common?  (aside: i realize what Laird is doing is different, that he is more in a paddling mode at this point than a "leaning on the paddle "outrigger" mode. I couldn't find a picture to illustrate exactly what i mean, but in my mind I imagine you could engage your paddle across your front leg instead of behind your back leg...  I hope that makes sense.) And what I am wondering is: which is preferable to learn?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 09:43:46 PM by zacksc »

Logan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 04:34:36 AM »
It looks to me like Kalama is bracing to maintain the spot in the wave he has attained whereas Laird is taking a paddle stroke to get to where he is trying to go.  If Laird was attempting a steering move, I'd think his blade would be angled more parallel to the board rather than perpendicular and that it would be placed further back for better leverage.

I don't think these guys are doing the same thing, but I get what you are asking.  In my experience, the stronger/ faster the wave, the more risky any kind of cross-bow steering becomes.  It is a very powerful stroke that can radically turn the board and/or "trip" the surfer too.  Once I switch my feet to a surfing stance, I stick with "stern draws and pries".

Hope this helps,

Logan

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 10:29:01 AM »
I agree. Thanks.

When I am going across a walled up wave, I like to have my paddle in the wave, or close to it, so that I can lean on it for balance or edging.

Frontside, it is pretty clear how to do that. For a regular foot going right, your left arm is forward, on the t-top of the paddle, your right arm is back, over your right hip, and your paddle is in the face of the wave a little behind you.  In this case your paddle will always goes across the front of your body.

Backside, is the case where I am unsure.  One likes to have the paddle trailing a bit behind, I think, but do you achieve that by:
     1) twisting your torso and shoulders toward the wave and holding the paddle around the front of your body (across your left hip for a regular foot going left, with your right hand on the t-top), or,
    2) having your left hand on the t-top, the paddle crossing behind your right hip (twisting somewhat away from the wave).

(This question is not about turning, but about traversing a wall...)

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 10:58:40 AM »
Zach,

A lot of it is personal preference and style, both front and back stalling with your paddle will accomplish the same slowing and repositioning of you and your board, although there is some truth to going paddle behind you on a steeper more reeling wave, also consider the fact that as you progress and are able to manuever the board more you also change where your paddle positioning. 

As it applies to backside you should practice both front and back on your backside, I find that paddle behind me feels much more stylish but is harder to leave this position I'm really leaning on the paddle (feels really good though) where if you are leaning forward with the paddle in front of you I find it easier to stand upright and change paddle hands for snaps, cutbacks and turns.

Ekolu does the most stylish backside stalls and Kai does really stylish backside stalls with the paddle in front of him.

My 2 cents
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 03:39:44 PM »
Thanks Reid.  I am going to think about that. Would it be true to infer that it is more difficult to use your paddle going backside?

kneecap

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 09:13:31 PM »
I do both.  I almost always take my last paddle getting into a wave off the right side (regular foot), so it's easier for me to leave it on that side, drag it behind me through the bottom turn, then I have it on the correct side going into a cutback.  That being said, I feel like my backside bottom turns are better when my weight is more on my front foot and my ass is almost in the water, which makes crossing the paddle over better.  Also, with the exception of the pic you posted, I think it looks way better when the paddle is in front of you.  I think both are totally viable depending on what you're planning on doing next and what you'd prefer.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard