Author Topic: 4th of July. Outer Cape on Monday?  (Read 4018 times)

Skyrocketnflight

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
4th of July. Outer Cape on Monday?
« on: July 03, 2011, 04:11:53 PM »
What's up w the long period swell and off-shore winds tmrrw/Monday?dying to
Anyone hitting it up?

Knee high and off-shore snds gd to me.  Been mostly hitting RI, Hull, NH.
Did some great kitesurfing tday in Chatham but dying to get out there w/o all those strings. lol

Are all spots pretty good? Wheres a popular place for SUP?

Post here or text 617-835-1530

-Greg
  Naish Mana 10'

Skyrocketnflight

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: 4th of July. Outer Cape on Monday?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 06:37:11 PM »
Anyplace with a sandbar. I check the cams at Coast Guard and Nauset Beaches. Still a little left of the bar at Coast Guard last time there.

Not getting out tomorrow except for a workout paddle. We hit some of the same spots. Hull and RI anyway...I'm headed Newport dawn patrol on the way to work for Friday if the forecast holds.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SKIQUATTRO

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 07:42:34 AM »
i was out at coast guard all week, was fun (we have a house in eastham) also got some longer distance paddles in on the bay...
this ain't no dress rehersal

SKIQUATTRO

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 07:26:15 AM »
will be back up on the Cape Sat-Tues (Aug 13-16) our house is in Eastham so i'm mostly at Coast Guard...not much surf on the way, but will be getting some ocean and bay (1st Encounter/Kingsbury) paddles in and hoping to catch a few waves too.

this ain't no dress rehersal

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 06:45:11 AM »
Hello all:

Ahh the Nauset region –

If anyone is planning to drag your gear out this way, the chances to find diverse conditions are high.

If you pick Orleans (also the local commercial hub) as the center, you can get fresh flat water, salt flat water, marshing and surf within a 15 minute drive. 

On the Cape Cod Bay side – Namskaket and Boat Meadow are the bigger marshes and riding with the tides is very predictable. 

On the Ocean side – Pleasant Bay and Nauset Inlet are bigger marshes, also with significant tide influences.  One great recent SUP trip was from the National Salt Pond out to the ocean and back.  My good friend made the trip on my well used Protech Windsurfer.  That windsurfer has opened up our world of paddling to at least 50 newbies. (see the attached route)

If you are looking for gear and rentals, Orleans also boosts 3 surf shops; Nauset Sports, the Pump House and Vec Surfboards.

Don’t forget Stoneaxe Bob’s Cape Cod Bay Challenge on August 20th.  I’m with you Bob in spirit, but short on gear for that kind of effort.

Ron C.

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 07:10:46 AM »
HI Ron.  Orleans IS a killer place for sup'n.  I stick to Sandwich for flatwater and open ocean mostly.  I live in Sandwich so it is the easiest but honestly i have paddled all over Cape and still dig my Scorton Creek to Boardwalk Beach run!  It's a good 15 miles if done completely.  Everyday is different out there. Low tide, high tide, winds, chop/no chop, some surfable rolling waves with N winds too.  Thanks for the map!

Even tho Nauset region is close,  sometimes, especially come Summer, it feels like a million miles away.  Ha ha.  Once a month I try to hit the waves down there and a little more in Fall and Early Spring.  Location, location, location right.  I go to Newport some too and Hull.

While I enjoy surfing my sup I am really drawn to the open ocean paddling and plan to get into racing this Spring. I hope more races and events are put together for the Cape and Islands and MA coastline.  CCBC is a great start! 

I feel incredibly lucky to live where we do and even more so with SUP in my life, what an amazing area to explore.  Now if we can just do something about the temperature from Dec-April  :  )

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 08:01:20 AM »
Hey ron forgot to mention...i know it is too late for this years CCBC but... I would lend you my 10'6 psh waa for next year.  not the "ideal" crossing board by any means but folks have done the crossing on this board before.  anyhoo see you out on the water in Orleans.
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 04:53:05 AM »
Making the most of the outer cape

In spite of the small waves this weekend, our family made the most of it.

Friday after work – 90 minutes of prone surfing with my son and then 30 minutes of SUP to polish things off.  Nice little waves / Family / Friends / Weather / Ideal time of the week = Grade A+

Saturday – Flat water pond SUP’g with my son + a quick lesson to a lady with 3 teenage boys

Sunday – Morning flat water pond SUP’g wit son again to gain rope swing access + lessons for in-law cousin and daughter, both are hardcore city dwellers + Wife, Son with 2 friends and in-laws went pier jumping and sightseeing in P-Town (I took a break and did lawn mowing and house chores) + dusk patrol surfing with all those kids plus my daughter.  Everyone had some sort of wetsuit and board-device.  I SUP’d outside and slightly away looking for sharks and having to give up a lease.  3 Boys all caught rides; one had never surfed before.  He was so pumped, no taking that board out of hands until dark.  The city slicker niece got close to a knee up position. We were the last ones off Nauset’s north shore beach.  The end the day, I let my niece, who’s never driven a truck or been to the “north shore” drive my f-150 off the beach.  6 surfers in one truck; what a smell. + Fresh Cod caught same day from my bother in-law a commercial fisherman out of P-Town = Grade Do you have to ask??

RC

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal