Author Topic: who started "old"?  (Read 14507 times)

captain twang

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
who started "old"?
« on: June 30, 2011, 08:04:03 AM »
hi guys,
 stand up paddling hit me last year at the tender age of 51. before that i was into kajaking and mountainbiking.  i sold my boat and lost every interest in radical biking. when i was  a bit younger, i even wanted to  be a downhill-racer. stand up paddling is doing me a lot of good. and i am glad, that i have the chance to do it.  i tried longboarding and boogiebording before, but without any good results.
what about you?
eddie

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: who started "old"?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 08:18:52 AM »
I guess I could say that I am re-starting at the young age of 45. I prone surfed just about daily all through high school and stopped until I was 37ish. Between 37 and now I only get out about 4-6 times a year so the results were similar to ESPN blooper reels. I really enjoy my time in the water regardless of having perfect conditions or how well I perform. Having spent too much time in land locked states with really bad weather this winter I started looking into this thing called SUP and have had the bug since.  I even dragged my wife out to the Standup Roundup event in Mission bay and got her out paddling!

Wilverine

• Rincon Status
  • Day One
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 09:07:17 AM »
Well I'll be 46 in August and just got up the  first SUP on May 24 2011.  Had the first one I've ever bought delivered June 15th and have been up on it everyday except one since... Just love it.  I had to have both my hips replaced with titanium ones about 4 years ago and really got out of shape.  This SUP thing is a great workout and it's low impact on the hips.
I'm probably doing it all wrong but I'm having a great time doing it.  I don't have any other Sup's anywhere near me...

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: who started "old"?
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 09:48:55 AM »
My buddy got me into it last year. Bought my board last August. Just turned 41. No surfing backround, but have dabbled in whitewater rafting, kayaks, and canoes. The sup addiction is on.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 10:04:10 AM »
I'm 64. Windsurfed since the 80's. Started doing some longboarding about 10 years ago when my shoulder injuries precluded windsurfing. Raced motorcycles and cars for nearly 50 years, started doing SUP about 2005 or 6 I think. Started with surfing, then some racing, then downwinders. Total addict. I'm a grumpy pain in the ass when I can't get in the water.

I still race cars, in fact I'm racing this weekend in Seattle and next weekend in Portland. But it doesn't grab me like it used to. If I had to chose one or the other I'd take SUP. It would absolutely stun many of my friends to hear that.

My good dreams used to be of racetracks, now I dream of waves.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 10:35:41 AM »
Started at 38 - grew up in Kentucky no where near a lake so no watersports in my background.  Mainly did team sports - basketball, baseball, etc.  Moved to Cali when I was 34 and had an urge to get a dirt bike; not a good idea (no balance + speed = pain).  Then I tried longboarding but was hopeless - I couldn't even pop up and keep my balance on a 10'2" Stewart!  Got frustrated so I thought I'd try snowboarding - broke my arm on day 3 (end of that story).  Then I found SUP and for some reason it fell into place; I've been at it for a year and a half and love it!  I can keep my balance, catch a wave (albeit nothing too technical yet), and have fun!  I can't imagine any other sports or activities that would interest me at this time.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 10:45:18 AM »
I'm 61 and started SUP downwinding in 06 at the age of 56.  Been an adrenaline junky since I was 10 straight-lining hills on crappy steel wheeled skateboards, led to skim boarding and then surfing by 12.  Hang glided and surfed through the 70's,  got into windsurfing in the 80's... then lay down paddleboarding in 1990 till the big revelation of SUP in 06.  A fine hedonistic life of goofing off.  My grandson, Kaikea is coming tomorrow and I'll start corrupting him right away... he says he wants to get out on the open ocean and glide.

Wilverine

• Rincon Status
  • Day One
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 10:46:59 AM »
Here in Arkansas we all grew up on a slalom water ski in the summer and spent our winters in deer stands and duck blinds.  And I've hunted some of the best duck blinds in the world!  I know I'm new at this but, right now, I couldn't care less about hunting anything again.  I can see getting into fishing from the board though... SUP may just be the perfect hobby for me.

Wilverine

• Rincon Status
  • Day One
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 11:04:26 AM »
The other thing we did in the summer is get pulled behind the ski boat on big 'ol tractor tire inner tubes.  That long air stem would get you every time!

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 11:19:47 AM »
I started SUPing in late 2006, early 2007 when I was already 59 and I am about to turn 63 in a few weeks. I have always been into water sports and I have been surfing on and off since the 1960's, and hardcore windsurfing since the 80's. SUP has re-invigorated my intrest in surfing, which had waned due to crowds and agro attitudes. I love SUPing waves here in California; while I used to pray for wind (and waves) now I am just as happy with a good swell. No wind, no problem.

My biggest regret is that I am about to start doing downwinders in the Gorge this summer, and I am concerned that the physical challenge of doing that is something that, while I have no problem with it now, at 63, I'm not sure how long I'll be able to do that.  I wish I could dial back the clock and have another forty or so good years ahead of me to do this, it is such fun.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 11:50:25 AM »
I am 50 and bought my first SUP at 47.  I  started surfing at age 10 and windsurfing at age 30 , kiting age 43.  I still windsurf and prone surf when conditions are ideal , but 90% of my time these days is into SUP..flat water or good surf I am on a SUP.  I can  have a SUP surf session for 6 hrs no problem, but prone surfing I wouldn't last half that long.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 12:09:51 PM »
Today as I paddled out to surf at the Jax Beach Pier (FLA) I saw an "older"guy on a SUP out in the lineup. He was surfing really well and I paddled over to meet him. His name is Bob Breen and he was riding a 9' performance Fanatic SUP. He is from Cocoa Beach and he is up in our area visiting his daugher. The really cool thing is that he's 73 YEARS OLD!!!  And there he was...surfing really well....hooting with joy like a kid....and just having a GREAT TIME!!!!!! Totally INSPIRATIONAL!!!  I just hope I can follow his lead!!!!!!   Btw..I'm 59 and in the last few years have been on SUP trips to Mexico, Hawaii, El Salvadore and this year, Fiji. (pics below)...I'm convinced SUP is a legitimate "fountain of your"......it gives you the STOKE and KEEPS YOU IN SHAPE!!!!!  Here's to a long life of SUP'ing!!!!   Tim

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 12:16:17 PM »
Oooops that should be "fountain of YOUTH"!!!  (and another pic of Fiji)

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 12:28:34 PM »
Started paddling in 07, age 46.

First downwinder in 6-08.

Plenty of sports before 07, none water related.  Some ocean swimming and proning, but nothing serious. 

The ocean's magic is healing and balancing out some old sports injuries.  Shoulders and core feel great.    

Better late than never, that's for sure.    

Support your local shaper

Wilverine

• Rincon Status
  • Day One
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 12:28:56 PM »
awesome!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal