Author Topic: Aloha from another SUP newbie  (Read 9995 times)

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Aloha from another SUP newbie
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 10:44:52 PM »
BTW-I am getting the board for $500. Considering what they sell for new and the excellent condition I think it is a great deal.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 03:19:00 AM »
Bill,
Chan and I rented this board when we were getting started.  At $500 it is a steal, and you will sell it for that in a year.  For just cruising, and a smaller lady, it will be a great start.  There are a few long time longboarders over here, who rip on these in all fun sized surf.  For yourself, consider it a balance board, it will be exceptional training, and will make you feel that much more pro when you get on a stand up with a bit less rocker and more width. 

Rand

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 02:07:55 PM »
Bill,
Chan and I rented this board when we were getting started.  At $500 it is a steal, and you will sell it for that in a year.  For just cruising, and a smaller lady, it will be a great start.  There are a few long time longboarders over here, who rip on these in all fun sized surf.  For yourself, consider it a balance board, it will be exceptional training, and will make you feel that much more pro when you get on a stand up with a bit less rocker and more width. 

Rand

thanks, I am stoked to have found her a board for that kind of great price and I agree on the board being a great trainning/balance board for myself. I have no doubt it will be a lot more tippy at first but if I can master it, I will be that much further ahead when I get my own SUP. Which BTW is likely to be from Blane. I look forward to meeting him and getting the ball rolling!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 02:11:59 PM by HaleiwaBill »

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 03:00:33 PM »
Thats a great deal... It will work well for you guys I'm sure. One really nice thing is it is pretty light and being a little narrow, easier to carry for your wife. I just place the rail on my hip and carry it like that with the paddle on it. I see most guys carry the big boards on their shoulders but most of us women just dont have the strenth for that... (especially in the wind)

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 04:26:42 PM »
Thanks noworrieshawaii, any tips and advice from a womans perspective is much appreciated. My wife has pretty good upper body strength because for the last two years she has worked hard labor job (we own a const clean up company). But she was never surfer or spent anytime on a surfboard of any kind, so she is starting scratch in that dept. I told her about the woman involved in sport and forum and expect she register soon.

Again, any tips specific to women are certainly noted and appreciated!

Knash

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 09:14:50 PM »
Hi ,

Glad to have you on the team!

Ed Angulo is a mastershaper and everything I have rode of his is exceptional ,so I wondered why you did not mention considering any of Angulos SUP models for surfing.

Angulo models readily available are 10'4", a 10'8"and a 11'9"

We are not in the islands but if anyone mainland is interested......

These boards are being delivered to stock at Legends surf in Carlsbad tomorrow.

They will be available to demo next FRI ,SAT.SUN at the Oceanside Pier. They are also having a SUP heat in The annual Oceanside Longboard Contest/Guy Takayama Noseriding event.

Welcome to the board and the greatest sport there is.

PS>If anybody would like to try them out there will be more "DEMO DAYS " soon and I will post dates here. Please email

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 10:28:47 PM »
Thanks Kurt, those demo days sound cool, just a bit to far to travel though......LOL

As I mentioned earlier, my first 4 SUP sessions were on my friends 16' Angulo race board. I know Angulo is a master and i am sure his boards would serve me well. However, like I have done with regular surfboards for many years, I like shapers who see me surf from time to time, so they can better determine what works best for me and how to apply that to the next board. They also have knowlege about the specific waves I plan on surfing.

I understand that at my newbie level most any of the top SUP boards would work just fine. But I plan on progressing and when I move on higher performance boards I want to have an established relationship with my shaper by then.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 10:44:06 PM by HaleiwaBill »

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 08:38:30 PM »
Aloha Bill and all,

New member here. I've tried several boards from Angulo 10'8", Angulo 11'9", Kyle Bernhardt 10'8" (I think), C4 10'6" and C4 11'6.

I loved quality and stability of the Angulos. I also really like the Kyle Bernhardt. C4's seemed like they would surf pretty well but to be honest, they kinda had a cheap feel.

I ended up buying the 11'9" Angulo because I'm primarily interested in cruising down the coast catching a couple waves here and there, but mainly for exercise. My skill level on the thing is still on the low side and I figure I'll step down in size to a Blane Chambers or Kyle Bernhardt when my level improves.

By the way, I notice Blane cruises the boards here so I'd like to say you have really nice boards. I checked a couple out at Tropical Blends and they're definitely a great product. Not to mention, Jim hooked me up with a Blane Chambers signature model paddle by Leleo. Unreal!

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 07:17:47 PM »
Aloha and welcome to da forum Tony. Keep posting bruddah!

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 01:50:45 AM »
Bill (sush)  FYI the Tropical Blends SUB's are the Ed Angulo shapes. Did you see the small one?

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2007, 01:09:45 PM »
Hey Mke glad to see you made it here. Thanks again for getting me started in SUP. I have highjacked your Angulo and will NEVER return it!..............lol.......nah it goes to YB tomorrow morning.

Yes, the Tropical Blends are pretty cool but I am still holding out for a BC. I know my training on Brooke's Munoz will make the BC feel lijke a dream!

Anyway, good see you here bruddah, tell Tiff and da kids we said howzit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal