Author Topic: Aloha from another SUP newbie  (Read 9946 times)

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Aloha from another SUP newbie
« on: August 09, 2007, 12:55:51 PM »
Hey guys, the good folks (cammer) at the mauihotsails site  told me about this forum so I came to check it out. It looks GREAT!! Mahalo!! I having around online forums for many years I always consider it good manners to introduce oneself. So here goes.

My name is Bill Ward and I am new to SUP but have surfed for almost 40 years. I grew up in Huntington beach and moved my family to the North Shore (Haleiwa) 10 years ago. I am married with two kids (10 and 12) and was blessed to spend a good part of my youth in the surf industry as a pro surfer (very little money-I wasnt THAT good.....LOL..), surf shop manager (Carl Hayward, main st HB) and several great years with Victory wetsuits.

These days I am a small business owner and very happy family man. I still surf a few times a week and also cover the Triple Crown of surfing each year for some online magizines. Until two weeks ago had never experienced SUP. Of course I have read all about it and watched in amazment as a few guys surfed quite impressively at my local breaks (Haleiwa, Houltons, Jocko's).

I finally got a chance to try this sport when a longtime friend (Mike Marsoun) from HB, Maui and now the big island asked me to pick him up in Hawaii Kai. Turns out he and a partner were doing the Quicksilver Molokai to Oahu race on SUP's. I knew this sport was growing but did not even know they were racing these things now! I saw number of old friends from the early surf days who are now into SUP's and was totally stoked to see how this sport is progressing.

Anyway, after my friend arrived at finish line and we said our hello's, he said I should take his board out for a spin. It was a 16' Angulo and despite feeling like a full blown kook I headed out. The result?..................WOW!!..........I am er?.........HOOKED, line and sinker! It was everything I hoped for and more. To make things even better my friend bought another board (F16) and left his Angulo with me. I took it out several more times in Haleiwa harbor and by the fourth session was paddleing 5-6 miles and rarely falling. Sadly, the board is getting shipped back (I want an SUP to surf with anyway) but the dye is cast.

Even my wife who is non surfer fell in love with this new sport and we have spent the last week and a half educating ourselfs on the boards we want to buy. I am a pretty big guy but my balance and surf abilities are still pretty good. So I am considering the "Big Blue" from SO or the 10'6" C4. I understand I still have a pretty big learning curve ahead and plan on remaining in flat water until I am throughly ready to surf the waves. There are few active forums for this sport and all the info you good folks have provided is invaluable. I look forward to learning more and contributing where i can. Mahalo..............bill

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Aloha from another SUP newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 01:00:18 PM »
Hey Bill!

We are stoked to have you. 

Please let us know your weight and height, that will help a lot with sizing suggestions.

Best,
Randy

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 01:22:54 PM »
Howdy Bill-

Hey a couple of items: Did you happen to know Brian Lindsey from Huntington, we went to college together and I remember he was on Hayward boards for awhile- if you knew Brian, you'd also know Tim Stamps from those days too- since you're into SUP now (warning- it's a major sickness)- you'd be stoked to see what Tim's doing with stand up boards these days in Huntington- check out a review I did of his 10' at paddlesurf.net or at his site www.surfboardsbystamps.com the boys doing really well for himself.

Keep us updated on how your doing with the stand up surfing- there's some great resources on this forum- people are friendly and were all MESSED UP on stand up surfing!!!

John Ashley

emissions

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 01:28:42 PM »
Hi Bill
I too live on the NS and frequently paddle those areas, mostly on flat days. I've been using a cheap softtop to get my feet wet but am now upgrading my equipment as my skill level has improved. I've been checking the big blue, the c4's and others. I can offer for you to try one out when I finally pick one up if you're still in the research mode when the time comes.

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 02:24:12 PM »
Thanks for da welcome guys!

Randy, I am 5'8" and currently about 235. However, I have already lost 50 lbs (past health issues) and my surf and balance abilities are well above average. That is why I considering the Big Blue or mid size C4 instead a Big Red size board. However, I am going to rent both size C4's from WET FEET to make sure of proper board size. I am willing to pay my dues in the learning curve but dont want to spend that kind of money and outgrow the bigger board in short order.

Hey John, I remeber the name but cant place from where? I remember Brian Wormach (sp?) as team rider. He along with Scott Farnsworth and Gary Clisby were part of my team in 81 when I coached the Marina high school surf team. But yea, I certainly knew Tim Stamps. I was team manager with Victory and was one of our riders. The kid was a GREAT surfer and shaper! Glad to hear he is doing well. If you talk to him again, tell Bill Ward said "howzit"!

emissions-hey brudda, that is a very kind offer, MAHALO! I too am thinking of the Big Blue. I was hoping to meet more NS SUP guys to paddle with. Once we get our boards I would set up some sessions!!! (My email is in my addy)

BTW-I am looking for a soft top for my wife. Where did you buy yours?

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 03:38:23 PM »
Hi Bill,
The 10'6 C4 sounds like a great choice.  Height and center of gravity definitely means as much as weight.  Add to that your lifetime of surf experience, and you will do great on a board with those specs.  You may wobble a bit more at first, but so be it.  There are some big boys over here riding 10' and sub 10' custom boards in the surf and doing unreal on them, but no need to kill yourself on the first one.

Best,
Randy

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 03:41:20 PM »
Cool, Bill, I will tell Stamps he'd be stoked- Brian was a year behind Stamps at Huntington High (I think Brian won NSSA nationals in '87) he's been cutting boards with a CAM machine for about 12 years now- he's killing it!

Stoked to hear that you're paddling!

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 09:20:32 PM »
Welcome to it. SUP'n is awesome. I have been doing it now for about 3-4 months, and love it. I just got my SUP board, I have been using an old Windsurfer and it worked, but not nearly as well as my SUB. Anyway, have fun with it. I wish I was in Haliewa right now. I miss Haliewa Joe's, thier Food is sooooooo good. I got a couple of friends that live in Broc Littles Parent's Guest House on the N.S. and got the chance to visit them on my Honeymoon in Nov. of 2005. What a great place "Country" is. I can't wait to reurn to Oahu soon. Might even be as soon as next year, I hope.

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 01:23:55 AM »
Hi Bill,
The 10'6 C4 sounds like a great choice.  Height and center of gravity definitely means as much as weight.  Add to that your lifetime of surf experience, and you will do great on a board with those specs.  You may wobble a bit more at first, but so be it.  There are some big boys over here riding 10' and sub 10' custom boards in the surf and doing unreal on them, but no need to kill yourself on the first one.

Best,
Randy

Thanks Randy, glad to hear your opinion on the 10"6" C4. As of now. The more am reading and learning the more that sounds like the right boards for me. The Blue is 4" longer than than the CF4, but both are equal in width. No doubt I will experience some "wobble" moments........also, if I figure I have better chance of catching waves at makaha on C4

emissions

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 11:51:33 AM »
Bill, I was able to get a used softtop from a surf instructor in Town. He had an 11ft and a 12ft that were pretty beat up so I got the 11 footer for next to nothing. This will be my girlfriend's SUP when I get the new one. I recommend asking around if you see any schools at chuns or alii. Uncle Bryan or maybe "Sunset" Suzy might have one they're willing to part with.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 10:52:59 PM »
Bill,
Have we met?    I'm usually hanging with the Blue Tent Crew Family...   Stop by sometime...
Aloha,
Blane

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 07:17:51 PM »
Bill, I was able to get a used softtop from a surf instructor in Town. He had an 11ft and a 12ft that were pretty beat up so I got the 11 footer for next to nothing. This will be my girlfriend's SUP when I get the new one. I recommend asking around if you see any schools at chuns or alii. Uncle Bryan or maybe "Sunset" Suzy might have one they're willing to part with.

Thanks, as it turns out I may have found the perfect board for her today. My wife and i were at our chiropractor (Bob & Trish Kennedy-Sunset bch) and Bob offered for her to try a Munoz from Surftech he has for sale. It is 12" a solid 4"plus thick and about 26.5 wide. My wife is 5'2" and weighs around 120 so I think it will be perfect for her. We are going to take it out Sunday and see what she thinks. The board is almost brand new and would be fun to have around as extra longboard (for me) as well has SUP for her.

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 07:53:45 PM »
Bill,
Have we met?    I'm usually hanging with the Blue Tent Crew Family...   Stop by sometime...
Aloha,
Blane

Aloha Blane, no i do not think we have met? But I live right around the corner from Alii on Paalaa rd. You might know my father in law Dan Gora? He is retired city fire fighter and currently serves on the North Shore neighborhood board.

If you have seen the huge fresh pond and taro patches on that street? We live in front of the pond and next to the Imu.

Anyway, I would love to meet you sometime. Is the "blue tent crew" the one set up at Alii most weekends? We are going to take my wifes new SUP out Sunday, if you guys around I will stop by.

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 08:30:43 PM »
I rode the 12' Munoz Surf Tech for almost a year.. Im 5'7, 125lbs... Liked the lightness and toughness of the board but it really is alot to handle in any kind of surf.... Lotta guys have a harder time riding since it is realativly narrow at 26". Still, if you can get if for a good price, it will work... Its just pretty darn long. You gotta get waaay back on the tail to turn it.

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 10:12:34 PM »
yea,I figured it would tough to handle in the surf. But wife is not a surfer and will be using the Munoz for flat water only. I might use on occasion for prone surfing on small days but the board is primarily for her.

It may also be good for me to practice on in flat water until I get my own SUP. Which hopefully will be this week sometime.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal