Author Topic: How many of us are there?  (Read 15414 times)

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How many of us are there?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 08:04:23 AM »
In Sweden (Volvo, Ericsson, Björn Borg, skiers, beautiful blonds etc) about 12, but it will be soooo many more soon. Wherever I go a lot of people come asking; surfers, windsurfers, kite surfers, canoers and just about anybody. Together with a friend we imported a dozen SOS boards and sold them very quickly. Everybody is caught by the stoke. Will have another batch of boards coming shortly.

What is so amazing is the versatility of these boards - you can have fun in just about any condition. So easy to get started and so much fun to progress. For me personally it somehow binds together my sailing, surfing and windsurfing interests. Did my first attempt on Maui this last winter (together with Rand) and since I came home to Sweden and my working reality, I try to get away as much as possible. Flat water, small bumps or the small and usually mushy waves we sometimes get here, it is all so very much fun!

I'm now using a SOS 10'10'' (Big Blue). I love it but it is growing under me. I would like something at least a foot smaller. Something turnier and something you can pump up speed on in mushy small waves, more short board style. I can get a SOS 10' (Big Green) shipped over here pretty easy, but it would be fun to hear what you all recommend. Any pop-out out there, or should I go custom? What are your thoughts? I'm a mid sized guy with OK balance and with a long wave sailing and a somewhat shorter (mostly longbord) surfing background (Maui several month every second year since late 80:s).

OK, what is the best little ripper for me (and why)?

Best,

Jesper

Best,

Jesper

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 04:10:26 AM »
Hi Jesper,

So pleased to have you here!

I just wish we had you back on Maui for some hands on testing.  Can you schedule a sebatical?  I must credit you in part for my current addiction to this sport, in that you and Chantalle picked it up so much quicker than I did.  Nothing like feeling lousy at something that looks so easy to perk up the old competitive spirit (hell, I was happy to find that it was still in there). 

So on to your Q's.  You would have a lot of fun on Big Green.  IMO it answered the concerns I had with Big Blue, and is a really good shorter board for less than perfect conditions.  I think of it more like a short longboard than a little ripper board, though.  It just falls shy of offering that certainty that you can really lay  into a bottom turn fully commited, or snap it around at the top like the lower volume customs etc.  That said, it is more fun than my 9'10 custom was, so it is getting closer.  As I noted earlier, for a bigger guy than myself, this might be a great little ripper.  I hope (and bet) that Sean has a 9-9'6 in the works.

Check out what I wrote in reviews on the PSH 9'2.  Right now that is a one of a kind in production boards.  Unless I am mistaken, it is the only model offered under 10', and it rips.  In normal sized waves (1-4 foot) this board is great, and I think its pop out qualities help in that size range (kind of like surfing a 6'4 epoxy Merrick Flyer).  Actually, I have not seen 4 feet since I have owned it, so I am imaginiing that part, but that seems about right.  For heavier winter surf, another board may be in order (heavier, narrower tail, thinner rails), but for most stuff, I think this thing rips.  I think we decided you wer 20 lbs less than I am (less muscle, right?) so, you may even be able to go a bit thinner if you went the custom route.  Matt Kinoshita uses the coolest shaping software I have ever seen (OK its the only I have ever seen), and keeps a file of every board he shapes, so you could try my (and Chan's) custom board, and have him modify any element of it to your taste.

In any event, get over to Maui, and lets do some "testing".

Best to all of you!

Rand

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 09:06:30 AM »
Rand,
Thanks for advice on what should be my next board! But less muscles - not possible, just take a look at our bodies, must be less something else :-). OK, I admit you have those super wide shoulders, but still...

This whole SUP thing makes me wanna go to Maui more than ever. Our family plan was to stay home this winter, but.... Trying out all those small new boards would be soooo much fun!!!!!!

By the way, back to the subject of this thread: I just heard that there are some SUP people on the Swedish west coast (I live on the east coast). Guess that makes about 20 of us here in Sweden.

Best,

Jesper

supstoked

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 01:07:13 PM »
In South Padre Island, Texas there are about 10 of us.   I paddle in Punta Mita, Mexico and there  is one permanent and four of us part timers.  In southern Costa Rica there's just me.
Lots of foil boards 6’7”-7’4”, L41 TVD’s and Jimmy Lewis Strikers..

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2007, 06:20:28 AM »
In central FL here so far i have only seen one other guy out ( and he was on a mistral windsurfer LOL)  I know the local shop owner goes out with his wife in the bay and another does the same.  The manager of another shop rides one of the larger models but again I have never seen anybody out on the water.  I know farther south (Ft. Pierce area and West Palm) there are some guys.  We all need to meet up for a session.

rocadura

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2007, 01:17:11 PM »
hi from the spanish islands.
 we are now 2 people sup surfin ...but heard in basque  country is gettin pretty popular...we have this euro company gongsup pushin with some nice stuff...
i really would like to test the boards you mention. 
is there any chance?  I am flying to maui late december

enjoy the swells. pura vida

photosettle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2007, 02:12:48 PM »
1 from medford oregon that i know of and that's me.  I'm a 2 hour drive to the coast and i know a couple more there (southern oregon)

ebby13

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2007, 02:28:29 PM »
seen a few at bolinas (2 to 5, give or take) and so far 2 of us,including me, paddling out at/from albany bulb area :)

supguam

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007, 05:06:58 AM »
Out here now 8

kito

• On the coast again
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2007, 06:51:23 AM »
Texas, SPI has 2 committed SUP'ers and a couple on the fringes.
Landlocked four years😬

kito

• On the coast again
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2007, 06:53:23 AM »
Texas, South Padre Island Has 2 Committed SUP'ers and a couple on the fringes.
Landlocked four years😬

WhySail

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2007, 05:04:36 PM »
Houston/Galveston Texas... 9 I know of.

Charlie

Blaise

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2007, 05:15:30 PM »
Well right now in western Mass. One...I have had many people stop and ask what that big "thing" on my car is, or hey dont you know their are no waves around here. But once they see me on on the water everyone wants to try it.

Cant tell you how much fun Ive been having and even my wife has tried it and fallen in love with it.

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2007, 07:29:15 PM »
we had 35 sups on the water last weekend for the iwaterman event in lajolla.  Pretty cool.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2007, 11:56:37 PM »
A few of the guys that are really into it here and in the Northern CA/Oregon areas...  BTW, How's this right?!!     Ahwooooooo!!!!!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal