Author Topic: Gorge treadmill wave workout anyone?  (Read 5284 times)

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Gorge treadmill wave workout anyone?
« on: June 08, 2011, 08:13:51 AM »
Guys I have been having a blast using this outrageous runoff on the Columbia to (I think) it's best advantage. The only thing that would improve it might be some company. Yesterday I parked at the white Salmon rivermouth and played for a few hours and got many of the best rides I've had to date (on the river at least). It was rolling clean 3-4', current is maybe 3.5-4 mph there so you can just sit down and be back upwind in no time, take another run. It was 8'+ two days ago and blowing 40+. Something about the combination of currents there is causing extremely clean waves, the Hatchery has been garbage by comparison. All this with That perfect windless rest area 100 yards away under the bridge.

Looks pretty good again today but I'm wiped out and have to go to PDX anyway. Tomorrow might hit 20 late, then Friday should be back on.

Anybody else want to play confused salmon? shoot me a PM or see you there.

More current info here;

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=11967.0

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Gorge treadmill wave workout anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 08:16:48 AM »
I'd love to, but my Doc says no for a few more weeks. My Bullet arrived yesterday and that's making it even tougher to stay out of the water. It looks great, have fun. Have you tried the waves at the Hatchery yet? they look great. And yesterday I rode my recumbent trike up to Rowena Crest and looked down at the narrows--it looked like some huge standing waves.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:52:31 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

fletch

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorge Bump-N-Glide
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 08:23:32 AM »
I'm interested. Gonna windsurf this weekend but definitely want to hit a downwinder afterwards. I'll send you a PM.

Fletch

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 08:53:32 AM »
let me know when you guys are going, I'll come over and shoot some video and stills.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 09:05:22 AM »
And if anyone is wondering what these guys are talking about a picture from the Hatchery on Monday from iWindsurf and Mike Godsey;

(click on the windsurfing section)

http://windnotes.phanfare.com/

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 09:19:53 AM »
Yup, we get some waves. These shots feature the windsurfers, but if you were trying to get the best waves shots you'd see some overhead stuff. Sometimes when you drop in on these steep puppies it looks like you're gonna go straight down and stick into the bottom of the river. Good thing it's thirty feet deep there. Lucky we live Hood River.

This is a pretty cool shot with the Columbia Gorge Hotel and the waterfall in the background. Hood River is so beautiful it's hard to look in any direction without being blown away. Of course it's also so windy it's hard to look in any direction without being blown away.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:24:03 AM by PonoBill »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 09:30:21 AM »
With the way the wind and current is this year, the Kalama Kamp in August should be absolutely awesome. Dave should have plenty to work with. The big race the next weekend should be amazing too. Local knowledge is going to play a big part. I wouldn't be surprised to see that fat elite purse won by some local guy like Dan Gavere, though Dave will get enough river time to figure out a good strategy. Should be one hell of a race.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 09:57:33 AM »
My f*@king god.  Those were some awesome pics PBill.  I've been there a few times and never saw it like that.  That's crazy good. 

Hope you're healing.  I got tired of waiting for my nose to heal, found some great hydrocolloid band aids and have been out in the water trying to keep up with La Perouse, who in two runs in different conditions has slipped away, close but just ahead.  I wanted to report back to you that I put the pencil neck in his place but I've failed ... so far.  His truck is bomber tho and Larry is a pretty good guy.  He doesn't rub it in like my other friends do when they walk on me.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 02:47:48 PM »
Hood River is so beautiful it's hard to look in any direction without being blown away. Of course it's also so windy it's hard to look in any direction without being blown away.
That's a great line.  You should be in advertising.

I can't believe you guys can actually stand in those conditions, or even anything close to it. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 05:25:38 PM »
Hood River is so beautiful it's hard to look in any direction without being blown away. Of course it's also so windy it's hard to look in any direction without being blown away.
That's a great line.  You should be in advertising.

I can't believe you guys can actually stand in those conditions, or even anything close to it. 

The trick is to keep moving. Of course it takes some time to learn that trick. I have been known to fall in on occasion--I think I did once or twice last year :P

Bill-you were probably windsurfing and just didn't notice. We go looking for these bombers. The toughest part is how steep they are, even when they're not too big. Sometimes it looks like the river has a fold in it. I buried my F18 past my feet more than once last year. The gorge tosses out some amazing downwinders. Not like Maliko, but lots of fun and plenty of challenges, not the least of which is windsurfers and kiters falling from the sky.

I've learned the best aid to balance is just wearing boardies--and maybe my lycra tights--in spring runoff conditions. After you've dunked yourself once or twice in water that was snow just a short while ago, you discover balance chops you've never explored before. You also have to wait a couple of days to see your nutz again.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 08:44:40 PM »
I don't mind not seeing my nutz when it's cold but the screwdrivers in the eardrum drive me bonkers.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 09:16:28 AM »
Glad to see this much interest, would like to give it a shot again tomorrow afternoon when the wind kicks back in. PBill, as you likely know, the white Salmon bridge would offer great wind protection and vantage for shooting. It is still pretty cold so you might as well keep healing. The downside to that spot on the weekend will be crowding, every kiter heads right there but could make for some interesting shots. Everyone was well behaved Tueday but I knew half of 'em. Best thing to do might be a Washington side downwinder from one of the tunnels or Drano lake to the White Salmon (i.e. shorter than Viento), then you don't have to do such a crosswind at the end to get back to Oregon. With the current right now Viento to HR would be the equivalent of like 12 miles. I did try doing the treadmill thing at the Hatchery but it's just not as clean a swell, a lot more random chop. When the current dies down it will be better there.
Lemme know if anyone wants to go tomorrow or this weekend. Today might be light enough for soaring up on Burdoin MT.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill