Author Topic: Shoulder/ muscle cramping?  (Read 7754 times)

adios pantalones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Shoulder/ muscle cramping?
« on: June 05, 2011, 07:55:25 AM »
Hydration? tension? technique?

Got a hot pinch in between the shoulder blades on a 20 miler, trying to figure it out.

Input?

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Shoulder/ muscle cramping?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 09:45:45 AM »
No suggestions but thanks for reminding me I need to go buy bananas.

javascript:replaceText('%20;D',%20document.forms.postmodify.message);

Marcelo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 05:12:50 PM »
How tight are your chest muscles? Maybe stretching them out would help. Last year i had a really bad shoulder pain but my chest muscles were the problem...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 05:27:40 PM »
That's called LIFE. Hot shower, a visit from team advil. And then as Chan says:"Suck it up". Well, actually she usually says "Suck it up, Bill" but I'm paraphrasing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

adios pantalones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 06:23:12 PM »
How tight are your chest muscles? Maybe stretching them out would help. Last year i had a really bad shoulder pain but my chest muscles were the problem...

Thanks! I finally started with a good sports oriented massage therapist. She always heads to the opposite side of the problem too.

adios pantalones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 06:29:11 PM »
That's called LIFE. Hot shower, a visit from team advil. And then as Chan says:"Suck it up". Well, actually she usually says "Suck it up, Bill" but I'm paraphrasing.

Life, yea. At least middle aged life. I used to have an amateur status w/ Team Advil.

Full Pro status after 45.

My pal the Marine told me in the Corp. they called Motrin , "Vitamin M"  1000mg was a minimum dose. Hell, they're kids! BadAss kids, but kids.  :D

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 06:29:36 PM »
go see a good Chiropracter. They can straighten you out. Then figure out why you got that pain. You might be out of whack like marcelo says , that can makes a huge difference.

Try get a book called "Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain" by Pete Egoscue

His whole premise is that you might be suffering from a sore wrist but it can be coming from an out of whack hip , maybe a badly aligned shoulder blade or shoulder. It's like building blocks if their not aligned well the structure will become weak. I used his book to help me with many pains and his exercises are very simple to do and EFFECTIVE !!

Look at his book here at Amazon. It has over 230 reviews And he gets a 4 1/2 star rating. My mom and all her friends LOVE this book it has helped them all. I think we all should read this to at least get a good understanding of how our body works and reacts.  

Good luck  my brother

http://www.amazon.com/Pain-Free-Revolutionary-Stopping-Chronic/dp/0553379887/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307582432&sr=8-1

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 06:49:50 PM »
Yoga.  1x week, minimum.  Downward dogs, sun salutations, warrior poses, crescent, half moons, triangles, then some balance poses.  The P90x yoga dvd is long but good and you get to intersperse push ups.  It will cure what ails you.

Beer helps too.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
I really understand the principle of one element being out of whack causing all kinds of distributed problems. I'm not a huge fan of chiropractors, though I'm sure there are some excellent ones. But I've seen too much of the whacky fringe to just march into a Chiro. But it was a chiropractor that predicted the problems I have with my left leg would come from a skateboard accident to that ankle a zillion years ago. Of course now any good doctor or PT takes one look at the way I walk and says "what did you do to that ankle" and "I bet you're having problems with that hip and knee." Yup.

My screwball shoulders cause back pain. Problem is that the older you get the more of these distributed pains get locked in and your strength, range of motion, and endurance all suffer. That's what I meant by saying LIFE.

Every time we see Chan and Randy here in Hood River Chan starts flogging me about getting some serious PT for my freshly screwed up knee. I know, I know. I'm just waiting for my next doctors visit to get blessed for it.

I think the ultimate answer is "keep going" but I also think some pro help every now and then is important. That and Team Advil. I'm in the Masters program.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

adios pantalones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 07:19:59 PM »
I've heard of Egoscue, he has a large, ardent following. Some great reported results.

A little off topic, but I heard of him in The Four Hour Body by Ferrris. Another guy on the edge with a strong  following.

I've had some good results from Chiro, but I use it sparingly. I recently had some good results on a bothersome rotator cuff when my Chiro used ART therapy on it.
Agian, I learned of ART from the Ferris book.

And finally, yes, it's been far too long since I've been to Yoga. I need to get back in practice.

I really appreciate all the input guys.  I get one more workout tomorrow AM then rest till my 20 mile SUP race on Sat.  Wish me luck!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 08:50:57 PM »
I almost bonked on last years CCBC around mile 25...same pain right in the shoulder blades. Absolutely on fire. Thankfully my daughter had some Advil liquigels. Would have sucked to have to get in the boat.
Trying to get a lot more stretched out these days and training more....I slacked last year. Hopefully it works.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 11:33:11 AM »
I just picked up a pain between my shoulder blades, a little to the left.  Raced Saturday AM and Tuesday PM, and I'm getting all kinds of upper back pain.  (It's the annoying back pain, not the disabling back pain..)

Went to my Chiropractor, (yes there are good ones, and not so good ones), and he told me that the muscles that should hold in my scapulae aren't doing their job.  And my chest muscles are tight.

I'll lay off a little and try to stretch and strengthen, and see what happens.

I have a great respect for good Chirpopractors, DOs and Physical Therpists.  The good ones are really good.

Never hurts when I race though....just love those endorphins.

I've graduated to Naprosyn...Ibeprofen is for the young guys....

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 10:30:11 AM »
I've heard this before .. that pain drugs like the ones mentioned above can hurt the kidneys over a long haul.  Here's the statement... with my input in parents.

If you have been taking analgesics regularly to control chronic pain, you may be advised to find new ways to treat your pain (no, please don't go postal), such as behavior modification (stop paddling) or relaxation techniques (Scotch). Depending on how much your kidney function has declined, (dark baggy circles under your eyes) you may be advised to change your diet (see primal thread), limit the fluids you drink (HUH???) , or take medications to avoid anemia and bone problems caused by kidney disease. (oh boy, more pills)

I take ibuprofen when I really need it which fortunately isn't all the time... yet.  But I already have the baggy eyes along with the rest of my face that looks like a catcher's mitt.  I would say any sort of yoga is very helpful. I do about 45 mins when I get up ... just so I can get up.  I also have had great results from PRP in my shoulder.  If you google it you'll find about 50/50 on opinions.  But worked for me... really well.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal