News:

Stand Up Paddling, Foil, SUP Foiling, Foil Surfing, Wing Surf, Wing Surfing, Wing Foiling.  This is your forum!

Main Menu

looking for 1st board

Started by bagalao, June 01, 2011, 07:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagalao

hi, Im looking for my first board: surfing experience w/ shortboard, 170lb, 5'11". I will use  mostly in  small, mushy and flat days, and for  paddling along the shore.  I was thinking coreban fusion 9' and walden 9'4" because the noserider feature.
Last week I rented a board and had my first time out (it was a blast) it was a Doyle 11', however I was surprised how heavy it was. Since here in NY there is no one with a good board selection and I'll have to purchase without feeling/trying first so  I have the following questions for the experienced supers out there:

-what is the comparison (weight and otherwise) of this Doyle 11' and the boards Im interested in?
-Any other boards would you suggest that fits what Im looking for?

I really looking for a board under 10' since it can fit in my car and in my apartment. Tks for all your help!!!

Ichabod Spoonbill

bagalao,

Where in New York are you? I'm a fairly new SUPer on the Hudson River in Peekskill. I just got an NSP 11', which is an all-around board. I've only paddled it once (flatwater), but I like it a lot.

-Ian
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

suprbowl

Depending on where you live, check out the paddle clinic this Sunday in Larchmont on the Sound. You do have to sign up in advance. They will have demo boards but not sure which brands. Call Bill at East Coast Surf, Snow, and Skate 914-630-2737

CTsupper

That sounds great suprbowl. I'd like to check it out. Putting my dads boat in the water Sunday so... Depending on timing maybe I'll head down. Please let me know if other things like that are going on.

JimK

We (Extreme Windsurfing) can be reached by public transportation from NYC
Although carrying an SUP on public transit might not be optimum

We carry Fanatic, Naish, C4, Amundson, RUSTY, South County Paddles by Kialoa, C4 Aqua Glide and more

Most importantly we are RIGHT ON THE BEACH so Demo's are easy. Not to mention we have over 5 years of experience to get you setup right RIGHT AWAY!

Give us a call 484 515 5758 or weekends 609 641 4445 or just pop me an email karabaszJP@aol.com

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

AJR

Doyle doesn't look like a good deal to me - heavy and you'll soon be unhappy with an aluminum paddle.  Also I'm no expert but I don't think you should start on a 9' - something more like 9.5-10.5' and in the 30"+ width range.  It depends a lot on your balance & aptitude of course...  When you get into the surf it's much different than flatwater (couple the waves with wind & chop & you need the extra stability in the beginning to avoid a lot of frustration).

Many have tried & failed to get that perfect board with the first time purchase.  Usually you buy big & wide to start and then sell it once you develop the balance & skill enough to know where you want to go (shorter, pulled in nose, etc.).  I'd highly recommend buying a used board first (Craigslist) so that you can sell it later & not lose much.  Demo as many as possible too (rent, demo days, etc.) to get an idea.  Or if you're lucky you'll be like a friend of mine who found a fellow SUPer who had too many boards and loaned him a 9-6 for months while he got through the learning curve before he bought his 9'.  

For new boards that are reasonable check out Isle Surfboards.  Fusion is a great board by the way - I have one; I'm 210 lbs & 6-1 and it's my 5th board.  My transition:  11' Isle (bought new on sale & sold it), 10'1" Joe Blair (bought new & I still have it - another great brand), 9'2" Isle (borrowed from a friend), 8-6' Solid Mariner (bought used but too tippy for me so I sold it), and now the 9' Fusion (also bought used).

raf

An hour out from the city on the South Shore of Long Island is Nature's Shapes.  Check them out.  Awesome custom SUPs, very fast and responsive.  Mike sometimes has some killer deals too.

bagalao

Thanks for all your replies.

Im in Long Island City, 5minutes from Manhattan.
I def looking for an ok quality board under $1000 (to get the feel and it seems that I'll have to upgrade in a couple of months as per everyone's opinion) and  have been looking at craigslist all over the place and couldn't find anything that would fit what Im looking for and  however yesterday i found:
9' 6" paddle surf hawaii all rounder wide  used 3 times.
Width: 29 3/8" Thickness: 4 5/8"
Fins: 2 + 1 or Quad Volume Liters: 15

I just not sure about the weight. comes w/ bag, a cheap paddle and leash $900

Any thoughts??

bagalao

BTW, Tks for your feedback AJR. very helpful!

Quote from: AJR on June 01, 2011, 11:28:05 AM
Doyle doesn't look like a good deal to me - heavy and you'll soon be unhappy with an aluminum paddle.  Also I'm no expert but I don't think you should start on a 9' - something more like 9.5-10.5' and in the 30"+ width range.  It depends a lot on your balance & aptitude of course...  When you get into the surf it's much different than flatwater (couple the waves with wind & chop & you need the extra stability in the beginning to avoid a lot of frustration).

Many have tried & failed to get that perfect board with the first time purchase.  Usually you buy big & wide to start and then sell it once you develop the balance & skill enough to know where you want to go (shorter, pulled in nose, etc.).  I'd highly recommend buying a used board first (Craigslist) so that you can sell it later & not lose much.  Demo as many as possible too (rent, demo days, etc.) to get an idea.  Or if you're lucky you'll be like a friend of mine who found a fellow SUPer who had too many boards and loaned him a 9-6 for months while he got through the learning curve before he bought his 9'.  

For new boards that are reasonable check out Isle Surfboards.  Fusion is a great board by the way - I have one; I'm 210 lbs & 6-1 and it's my 5th board.  My transition:  11' Isle (bought new on sale & sold it), 10'1" Joe Blair (bought new & I still have it - another great brand), 9'2" Isle (borrowed from a friend), 8-6' Solid Mariner (bought used but too tippy for me so I sold it), and now the 9' Fusion (also bought used).

AJR

You're welcome. That PSH might be worth looking at; see if s/he will meet you at a bay so you can look it over and try it out in flatwater.  Paddle and/or bag included?

AJR

Duh - should've read Ur post fully. Bag, paddle, n leash included...

chipmonk

That PSH board sounds like a solid deal. Doublecheck that it is the wide model, that will better for you starting off. Walden is a NO for me. Coreban Fusion looks like a really good board, but not the best thing to start on. The PSH all arounders nose ride quite well.

Recent Posts

September 19, 2024, 05:49:13 AM

Recent Topics

topic
lazymodo
September 19, 2024, 05:49:13 AM
topic
B-Walnut
July 31, 2024, 11:06:34 PM
topic
kitesurferro
July 30, 2024, 10:05:22 AM