Author Topic: gopro chest harness  (Read 3614 times)

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
gopro chest harness
« on: May 29, 2011, 09:21:45 AM »
I used gopro chest harness and I liked it very much.

I always disliked headmount, it looks too dorky, like an antenna to communicate with a mothership, plus its sticking out quite a bit and it may get on the way (you may hit it with something... you may think you duck enough, but its still sticking out), plus you can't see the light (video on)

paddle mount is much better, but it is really becomes a filming session, instead of leaning on the paddle you tend to use it as a camera crane...

turns out chest harness from gopro (~50$) works quite well - points were your shoulders do and never gets in the way, and you always can double check display and LED light, after turning it on/off. I was afraid it will be on the way when climbing on the board, but it is not, it is located quite high.

here are couple vids. I dont know how to embed, so here are just vimeo links:

I will use it for skiing too, not sure it will work good for wndsrfng... but I'll try :)

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: gopro chest harness
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 09:22:47 AM »
wow... it added all html tags to embed my link, so it is a real vimeo picture... amazing technology :)

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 12:01:02 PM »
Very cool, I like the perspective.  One thing I don't like about using the paddle mount is that it always looks like you are going in a straight line, very hard to see big cutbacks and hard turns.  The chest mount captures it.  I would have guessed that the arms and paddle shaft would fill the frame, but it actually works quite well.  My sense is that it's a much more secure way to mount the camera to your body as well.  I'd be nervous with the head mount, even with a leash tying it to my wetsuit, because I could see it getting ripped off my head in a wipeout and then bludgeoning my face through the whitewater.

Having just done my first true downwinder yesterday, I think the chestmount might be the ticket.  New toy to add to the wish list...

LUANGUAN

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 05:00:22 PM »
Sweet, I've done the paddle and the board, now I might have to go out and buy the chest harness.

Great job.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal