Author Topic: A Golden Age  (Read 4904 times)

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
A Golden Age
« on: May 28, 2011, 10:23:06 AM »
Just wrote this up for my site.  Thought I'd share it.  It is sort of specific to Maine, where SUP is still very new and hardly anyone under 30 does it.  What we really need are some of the younger guys and girls to dedicate themselves and take the whole thing to another level.

http://soposup.com/news/golden-age

raf
owner of Soposup, New England's 1st dedicated SUP shop
www.soposup.com

lakesurfer

Re: A Golden Age
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 05:10:03 PM »
I agree with you on what you wrote.  I wish I had discovered SUP when I was younger.  It is really great in helping you get out on the water when it's not that good for regular surfing.  It's also a blast, and adds a new dimension to the life of being a waterman.  ( which I know isn't something that everyone strives for, but I do.)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 08:54:11 PM »
Good post...hope some east coast groms take it to heart. When i look at what the kids are doing elsewhere...most especially but not exclusively on  Hawaii, and I think about the watery playground so well suited to SUP in our backyard. I'd love to see some kids stretching the limits here. I think a big part of it is the relative cost. A kid can ask for a surfboard for his or her birthday and have a reaonable chance of getting one. A SUP...not so much. It's going to be the relatively smaller number of kids that have a parent with a board that will get some going
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 06:40:13 PM »
Thought about this post during the Challenge on the Charles. We'll be home growing a few paddlers in Boston. The CCBC crew with the help of Naish, Kialoa and MTI gave Community Boating 6 full sets of standup gear. Naish 10' Mana softtops, Kialoa Hinalea adjustable paddles (3 adult, 3 kids) and 6 MTI PFD's. Flatwater paddling but 2,500 kids a year go through Community Boatings summer programs. Can't wait for the first groms to join us for the race and for the CCBC. We're also auctioning a custom 8' kids board thanks to Vec and Twin Lights Glassing along with a Kialoa Hinalea Keiki at the CCBC after party. going to be fun to get some kids out there with us.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 07:11:19 PM »
That's great, Bob.  I've had a lot of requests for kids' boards and am forced to tell parents that they don't really exist yet.  Once the summer season cools off a bit I'm going to get to work shaping a bunch of kid-specific Sups in my new shaping bay.  I haven't done any board shaping yet, so making a half dozen kid boards will be a quick and easy way for me to figure the process out.
I'm thinking 7' x 25" x 3.25" for the 7-8 year olds
8' x 26" x 3.5 for the 9-11 crowd.
Both with a relatively conservative, "all-arounder" shape.  Next summer will see an explosion of kid specific Sups, I reckon.

riverrun

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 07:33:49 AM »
I started Supin on my 63rd. bday on Oct 4th. Wish  I would of  started earlier. Oh well your never to old for a new adventure.

riverrun

cole gnar

• Sunset Status
  • Irie strokes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 07:41:56 PM »
i just started and im only fifteen and i wish i started earlier! iv honestly never like something so much in my life. my parents worry about me, if im not at the beach im on this forum or obsessing over the board im getting soon haha. ifit doesnt come soon they may have to start worrying, i might go crazzzyy!
peace,
gnar...

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 09:25:56 AM »
i just started and im only fifteen and i wish i started earlier! iv honestly never like something so much in my life. my parents worry about me, if im not at the beach im on this forum or obsessing over the board im getting soon haha. ifit doesnt come soon they may have to start worrying, i might go crazzzyy!

I can think of a lot worse things that you could be obsessing over!  At least they know where you are if you're not at the house!  Plus you're getting great exercise in this age of video game addicts...

cole gnar

• Sunset Status
  • Irie strokes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 07:04:14 PM »
haha thank you! i might just show them your post ;)
peace,
gnar...

lee

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 07:38:23 PM »
Cole
What's your background?
Were you a Surfer? Swimmer?Paddler?
Livin the dream @LEE's SUP

cole gnar

• Sunset Status
  • Irie strokes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 07:58:59 PM »
Was and still am big into skim boarding ad always wanted ti sur so badly but never really got into it untill last year a friend from a long time ago ended up in high school with me and he ha two boards and now we go every chance we get. Not that iv found sup I don't really need a surf board of my own cuz you can do all the same on a sup but you don't need to count on such good conditions. I'm so stoked about sup I can't get over it iv never liked something so much!
peace,
gnar...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal