Author Topic: As loose as possible but stable?  (Read 4102 times)

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
As loose as possible but stable?
« on: April 08, 2008, 02:37:43 AM »
Here in Sweden we more or less only surf powerful waves in windy and choppy conditions. Before this winter I used a SOS big blue (10’10’’x 28.5’’) and a SOS big green (10’x27,5’’). The bigger board is super stable for me (6’0 and 175-180lb), the big green is manageable.

In glassy Morocco surf the big green is stable enough for me with good marginal, it works in Sweden when it is not totally windy (cross-on) and big chop.

This winter on Maui I used a Katzuma 9’4’’x27,5’’. It was so much looser and more fun than my boards home in Sweden. In south-side glass and lower Kanaha it was more than enough stable, in pushier waves, more current and stronger wind it worked but was a lot of work. It will be too tipsy here in Sweden, at least most of the time. On Maui I also tried a 10’x28’’ C4 which was much more stable than my Katzuma, but it also felt more tired, slower and not so turny as my Katzuma. The C4 would work for me here in Sweden, but I would like to have something shorter and looser.

I only used the quad set up on my Katzuma. Will it get a lot more stable with thrusters instead? I could have an extra large trailer fin.

So now I’m thinking of what design to have built or what board to buy. As loose as possible but more stable than my Katzuma. It does not have to work in over head high waves but should be as compact, loose and stable as possible.

What are your thoughts? Would be fun to have all design parameters optimized for up to head high, pretty fast short kind of wave, cross on shore 15-20 knots wind, and as loose as possible.

Jesper
Longing back to Maui and a glassy Kuau

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: As loose as possible but stable?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 01:49:58 AM »
OK, I guess my question (above) is somewhat to general and there are too much to consider to be able to answer it. The answer could also be - talk to your shaper and he/she will make what you need..

But still. It would be nice to just pin down some parameters, and the question is not that general. It is not about general tipsiness or so. Let me try to make my guestions more precise:

Conditions: Small pretty fast waves (waist to chest high, but occasionally head). 15-20 knots on-shore or cross on-shore wind, current and major chop.

Surfer: 6' /175-180Ib. 

I want: As loose as possible but also more stable than my Katzuma 9'4x27, 5’’ (little pulled in nose, very rounded rails, quad)

I have some thoughts: It don't have to be holding in bigger surf, thus no need for a rounded pin or swallow tail, and no problem with a wider design. I'm speculating in that thicker than 4'', maybe 4 1/8'' only makes it corky and sensitive for wind and chop, instead of adding stability. A wide nose adds a lot of stability but will not be very functional in the pretty fast small waves it shall be optimized for (more short board and fish than long board conditions, but still mushy).

Length: Somewhere between 9 and 10' (would like it to be short if it doesn't hurt stability to much)?

Width: 28 and 29'' wide (will 29'' hurt performance to much, it's not going to be used in over head)?

Rocker: Very flat where I paddle (for stability), but radical tail kick (for looseness). Measurements?

Ofo tail: Should go pretty wide for stability? What about 18''

Ofo, nose: Should not stick in the relative small but fast waves - not to wide. What about 19''

Thickness: 4 - 4 1/8'' thick?

Bottom: Flat all the way? Vee? Single to double

Rails: Will harder rails ad more stability and/or hurt looseness? Some kind of tucked under?

Tail: Squash? Will a swallow make it go faster rail-to-rail or just make it stickier?

Hope this will make it easier to give me some input - opinions, guesses, speculations or more hard knowledge - everything will be appreciated.

I might even build it myself. I do have the equipment and some experiences with vacuum bagging, and I have built both windsurf and surfboards before. Still think I will go for 2Ib eps and a traditional single laminate because of less work - this is all experimenting!

Jesper

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 06:28:31 AM »
Hi Jesper,

Hope you had a great time and are all well!
Did you really go 5 inches thick on your Kazuma?  It did not look that thick. 

My suggestion would be to maybe start with the shape you like best, and make some changes to that, but maybe a bit smaller changes than a full inch (or two) wider.  You know the old saying, first too little than too much.

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 10:55:47 PM »
II will never get fed up with that island. What a pity we did not hook up with each other more. But I guess that is just another reason for me to come back next winter.

5’’ thick? No, no, no. It is 9’4 tall x 27,5’’ wide, and x 4’’1/4 thick.

But I'm not sure that was good, feels somewhat corky. Not much but some tendency. Maybe 4 1/8 or even 4'' would have been better?

My last morning SUP sessions at Hookipa and Lanes was crazy windy. Some clouds with rain and wind came in with the trade and I just felt that a thinner board might have been less sensitive?

I love my Katzuma, but I know that in the conditions here in Sweden I need something more stable, it doesn’t need to work in bigger waves, so I guess a wider design ought to work?

Jesper

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 11:13:22 PM »
J,

Check out Evan's article re Joe Blair's 8'9" SUP. It might be just what you want, and need in the conditions you describe. http://www.standuppaddlesurf.net/2008/04/10/joe-blair-8-9-stand-up-paddle-board-video/

Also, don't forget the importance of rocker. I've always found that a flat board with little rocker did not do well in chop. And, if you're going to use the board primarily to surf, then you don't need to worry too much about design features that are necessary for paddling. You can go wider, rounder and curvier with more rocker; and foil and thickness to your weight specifications and ability level.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what you find out.
g

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 01:20:35 AM »
Wov!!! That shure seems like a great littlebig board for my purposes. Everything he says in that video makes sense. Even pulling in the nose a little and put in a quad... Thanks a lot srfnff!!

If Blair was located somewhere around my place, I'd order a board today. Wonder what shipping of a 8'9 SUP Oahu - Sweden is? Anybody have some measures on a rocker curve like that?

More input anyone?

/Jesper

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 09:03:23 AM »

But I'm not sure that was good, feels somewhat corky. Not much but some tendency. Maybe 4 1/8 or even 4'' would have been better?

My last morning SUP sessions at Hookipa and Lanes was crazy windy. Some clouds with rain and wind came in with the trade and I just felt that a thinner board might have been less sensitive?

No doubt we will get more time together next year.  You came for such a great time of surf that we had let work get way backed up, and well...you had your hands full with waves and kids.  I surfed Kuau twice this week, and the conditions were so much worse than the day we shared there (and we were a little so-so about that one at the time).   I miss February!!!

Anyways, on your board, I agree that corky hurts balance.  Feeling too high up is no good for me.  I would think that a bit thinner (maybe 4) wider (maybe 27.75) would do it.  Personally, i think I would carry that width into a little longer board (maybe 9'8 ) before I went much wider or thicker.

Best,
Randy
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 09:12:59 AM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal