Author Topic: how long did it take you?  (Read 7161 times)

bluemarlin04

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
how long did it take you?
« on: April 07, 2008, 10:36:35 PM »
How long before you figured out paddling and standing without any problems.  Went out today and realized how hard it was.  Took me awhile but I started figuring it out.  How long did you guys spend on the water?

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: how long did it take you?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 11:11:08 PM »
Yah know.. it kinda depends on the conditions... If its glassy and you have a big enough board I've seen folks pick it up pretty quick, like within an hour or so... of course thats in flat conditions. It took me a number of trys but I was on funky equipment and rough conditions. 

Its all time on the water... you'll get it.

Poppy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 11:32:47 PM »
Go to paddle surf hawaii or keep logging on to this web site. The best and fastest way to learn is PADDLE, PADDLE, PADDLE, and when you think you got it then......PADDLE ,PADDLE ,PADDLE.
iN ALL TYPES, ALL KINDS OF CONDITIONS.
OK, have fun, thats the most important thing
ALOHA

lynndelaga

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 11:34:50 PM »
There's actually a wonderful vid online (via amazon.com) that my husband (aka gatorboy) recommended we watch prior to trying SUP for the first time.  I was really intimidated by the sport prior to trying it out, but after having watched the video, it was great. I think it was called "Stand Up Paddle Surfing 101"...something like that.  You should ask gatorboy.  It goes over the types of boards, techniques and stance, and how to correctly measure the right paddle for your height.  Without this vid, my hubby and I would be falling into the water non-stop!

It's true that it really does depend on the condition/weather...but most importantly, it depends on your status (beginner/novice, intermediate, or advanced) as well as your weight and type of board.  Most beginners (like myself and gatorboy) were told to try out on something extremely stable, so we've been going out on 12' Laird soft-tops that were about 28-29 inches wide.  This board is good for a weight category of 90-200ish.  VERY stable, although for pro surfers, doesn't turn well.

And just so you know, SUPS comes with time.  Hey, I don't wanna brag here, but I've been out about 5-6 times with gatorboy, and I only just now caught my first waves standing up!  :)

teatrea

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 11:39:08 PM »
My fist time in the chop i was ready to take the board back to the shop , but once your muscle memory build up and your core strength improves , its amazing how you almost automatically correct yourself.

KaiDogg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 11:45:51 PM »
Aloha,

Like noworrieshawaii said, it's all about time on the water. 

Whenever folks ask me about SUP and if they're just starting out, I'll advise them to paddle in flat water at every possible opportunity.  Get a feel for the board and equipment, find the paddling "sweet spot", practice paddling technique, vary the cadence and effort, and practice turning, both frontside and backside, over, and over, and over.  Don't hit the surf right away; develop the fundamentals and get your "sea legs" first.  Once you've gained some confidence and developed a skill set, then go hit some waves.

Everyone's different, but the above is pretty much what I did.  I spent hours upon hours paddling up and down the swim lagoon at Ala Moana Beach, developing the specific skills and I'm glad now that I did.  Above all, keep practicing and have fun!

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 05:43:46 AM »
I first learned out in Maui about 2 years ago on a 12' x 32" wide board.  First couple of hours were tough.  I did not think I would ever be able to ride something smaller.  After 2 weeks out there i was on a 10'10 and was comfortable.  Conditions play a big part (glassy vs windy).  Best adivice I have gotten is like others have said, PADDLE PADDLE PADDLE.  Even when the wx is not so good, i still go out and paddle.  Cannot get enough practice.

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
  • Born and Raised in da Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 05:57:32 AM »
No worries Blue.  I know the feeling.  I went out with my girlfriend this past weekend for the first time in ocean chop.  We kept on falling off the boards as soon as we got on.  Mind you that I've been short boarding for about 14 years with a little 6'4" as my everyday board.  I thought that I was going to catch waves on the first day.  I was totally wrong.  It's a different animal SUPing.  Oh well it's like everyone on this forum says.  Paddle Paddle Paddle.  It's like learning to surf again!  Ha, ha, ha!!!

I'm on it this weekend again!!!

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 07:15:17 AM »
Atta boy P.Sam- I know that feeling exactly!

But the problem is that if you come from a shortboard background- your current SUB will keep you happy for only so long before you start... wondering... "How short can I go with these things because... I.... want .... to .... go ... straight up... in this section!" I haven't figured it out yet but it's fun playing with different boards.

As for me- I spent about three months figuring out how to stand in surf conditions because I was too stubborn to go to flatwater first. Duh.

robinsmv

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 07:50:19 AM »
i just got my first sup for my birthday about a week ago.  i took out one of the demo boards from my local shop and hopped right on it and started paddling arround.  it was the 11 ft oxbow with the oxbow carbon fiber paddle and a c4 grip pad.  i had no problem at all the first time. ive been taking it out as much as possible and managed to catch my first (very small) waves yesturday.  so far the only time when i have had problems was when it was blowing 20 knots side shore a few days ago.  all i could do was go down wind and try not to get shaken off the board.  i have also been surfing for the past 13/14 years and skate arround campus every day which probably helped out alot.  my usual board is a 5 10 quad so the sup is almost twice as big as my usual stick.

lynndelaga

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 08:10:33 AM »
I totally agree with KaiDogg.  It's really the time you spend in the water.  Without a doubt, practice in calm water first.  Get familiar with the equipment, then once you're ready and know how to paddle effectively (VERY important), start heading out gradually to catch some waves.  Like KaiDogg, I've spent many sessions in the calm water paddling around at Ala Moana.  It took me a couple of months before I even felt ready to head out and catch waves.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 09:02:37 AM »
My first board was a Ku Nalu -- 12'2" X 26". At my weight (240) a terrible choice. I fell thousands of times and seriously considered that I might not be able to do this sport, but I persisted and finally got it just before we left the island that spring. when I came back the next winter I started right back at the beginning, falling and falling, until I bought a JL 11er. first time on the board i stood with no problems, and was able to catch waves. I felt like i was cheating. i still have the Ku Nalu, I mastered it and now I really like it, especially for wavesailing or downwinders.

bottom line, there's no such thing as too big or too stable a board for your first experiences, and with time on the water you can ride impossible boards. don't give up, just get something bigger for a while.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 12:33:11 PM »
Brother Bill...(see above)...was kind enough to give me his Starboard 12-6 x 30 to see if it would help me as therapy for balance issue I was having. Not only was standup tough at 1st but at that time I had a hard time driving and even on rare occasions, walking. I've since become an evangelist for SUP as therapy. It's changed my life. If I can do it anybody can train their body and mind to adjust. I had seen great improvement in my ability to do everyday things even with the relatively small amount of time I had been able to get out but I thought I had reached the limit of what I would be able to do on my board.

Bill always told me it was time on the water and someday it would just click. I thought he was crazy until our recent visit to Maui when my time on water went from 1 or 2 days for a couple of hours to 5 or 6 hours/day for 2 weeks. That period changed my abilities so much it felt almost surreal. While I can't keep up that pace at home I do get out 3 or so time/week for 3-4 hours each. Last Saturday I went out in light chop and knee highs for a 7 mile run and rarely fell in, and then only when I was getting quartered by the odd mix of swells.

I did take a little different approach than most of the other recommendations. I only stuck to flat water for a brief time. I'm all alone when I go out so I'm not concerned about lineups but I find that fighting the chop and having fun in the waves is what its all about when it comes to it actually being therapeutic for me.

Enough typing...I just got a major project out and this afternoon is supposed to be 6ft and smooth. I'm outta here! Good Luck!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfcal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 01:03:53 PM »
I started almost two years ago on a 12 Soft top (26" wide) and the first day took it right out into the line up.  And FAILED. I kept at it for about four days then took it over to Mission Bay.  Within 45 minutes I was able to control the tippiness and paddle without faliing.  I did this for two days before going back into the ocean.  From there it took me 1 week to actually catch a wave and ride it all the way without falling.  About two weeks later I get my first real SUP (11' Infinity) and realized I had just wasted about three weeks on the wrong equipment.  Now I've gone through about 6 to 7 different boards and I am now on the 10'6X27" Avisio Hollow Carbon fiber.  I am on the water anywhere from 2 to 5 days a week at about 2 hours each session.  But it was the time on the bay that really made the biggest improvement.

WindJunkie

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 01:46:00 PM »
I went two sessions at ala moana in the flats on my laird 12x31.  Felt comfortable and anxious to hit the surf.  Went over and tried to catch some waves in waikiki at threes on my third session.  Was a very frustrating experience.  Went back to ala moana to practice a few more sessions.  Wind and water make a huge difference.

I've let a lot of people try my 10'6" in flat water and almost always successful first try.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill