Author Topic: Channel Island Fish measurments  (Read 6015 times)

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
Channel Island Fish measurments
« on: August 07, 2007, 07:17:14 PM »
 Any one out there seen these CI Fish  SUP boards in person. Want to know what you think. I've obtained an epoxy blank 11-6 x 31 x 5 & 1/8 Ready to shape a performance board and a fish was my thought. I did see the website and watched the vid but its not too detailed on the measurments up and down the board.  Input would be great. and speak you mind.  The truth hurts , tough love...   Mahalo     
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Channel Island Fish measurments
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 08:39:44 AM »
Im all  for pushing new designs (ask Oldgrom or Johnson Big Sticks what Ive been riding lately), but shy away from the deep swallowed fish on a durability stand point.

The thing is, these boards are huge and if you look at any fish more than a couple of years old and most of the time, the tails get beat to $hit. While it is a good idea to deal with a wide tailed board, once you blow up the design, haul it around knocking into crap (all my dings happen out of the water), Im not to sure thats what I want back there.  Im all for dual Pin tails, which is basically what it is, but not to sure you need a deep swallow to be loose and skatey (is that what you're after?).

I would go with a medium wide tailed board, set it up with 5 fins and play around with whats going to work for you. Some box companies have adjustability built in (fore and aft). Im sure you'll find the ride you're looking for is more closely related to fin setups than planshape.

I think I threw a tape on one of the SUF from CI and it was 10' x 30 x 4.25. Sorry to make you listen to me before giving the answers you were looking for.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 09:08:57 AM »
First off, I should say that I have never ridden a fish Stand Up and have never seen the CI Fish in person, and all of my thoughts should be viewed with that in mind. 

Second, before starting, I would contact the guys who were riding fish a few years ago, and would ask them if they found this to be the best way to get what you are looking for in your new shape. 

Sean http://www.surfingsports.com/images/sos_standup_twinnie_2.jpg (picture from Wardog's site http://www.surfingsports.com/

and Blane http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=259022;search_string=sup;guest=9711930#259022.

My own thoughts on this:

Are these really fish?  By that I would ask that you consider what a normal surfboard fish is.  My last one was a 5'11 twin with a really flat rocker line, and allowed me to surf a shorter board than a conventional shape.  What I gained was a board that would pick up mush, fit in to tiny waves, slide turns, carry over entirely flat sections, etc.  My question: is a 9' x 28 x 4.25 fish going to do that?  These are still huge boards.  Are they going to be a better option than a 9' with a more conventional tail, nose, rocker line, profile?  My guess is no.  I have been playing with the fins in our boards and have tried a pure twin, twin with trailer, and standard thruster setup.  I am just wondering if you might not get more versatility from a more conventional shape (whatever that means) and changing the fins.

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 09:39:33 AM »
Thanks for all your thoughts, I'm looking for a loose board so I can surf the wave but yet have some stability while I paddle. Is there such a board or do you have to comprimise one for the other? I have a G&S surf Tech 9-2 teamryder and that is a loose board. Rounded pin tail. Would a blow up version in a SUP form work?  When I see vids of  all the boards being paddled in to waves Hawaii and Cali, There is more power on the wave than our East Coast waves. .. Before I make the first cut or outline I'll have to do more research. I wish I couls try other SUP's but I seem to be the only one here on them.   Thanks and Keep the comments comming.  . 
  Mahalo 
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 10:07:46 AM »
Hi GJB,

Again, just one guy's opinions.  I think it isimportant to remember that a 9'6 (+/-) by 27 (+/-) by 4.25 (+/-) is still a huge board by surf  standards.  The volume is there, if the board is well executed to get in to even the mushiest 1 foot crumblers.  Cammar and I did just that one day a few weeks back, and had a lot of fun doing it on our south shore on a 0-1 forecast day. 

BUT,  I do not think you will love a a blown up version of your favorite longboard.  I think that to make a comfortable Stand Up "short board" you will want a flat bottom from nose to about 2/3 back and a flatter rocker in the primary stand area.  This goes a long way towards making the board stable at these smaller sizes.  Vee underfoot (even a little) is a huge killer of stability.

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 05:23:58 PM »
Exacellent points Rand. I rode fishes, actually Carl haywards "Rocket fish" for many years in the late 70's to mid 80's. My boards were 5'10" and 21 wide, 15 1/2 tail and slightly pulled in 14" nose.

They absolutely FLEW and made junk waves a blast to surf. The major downside was that even with decent rocker and lots of V they still "tracked" and were not known for vertical surfing. Todays designs for prone surfboards have come a long way and they are able to make decent longer "fun board" versions of the fish. However, they are still at their best in SHORT lengths. And like randy pointed out, the deep swallow tails were always the first to ding and break..........Just my .02.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 05:28:39 PM by HaleiwaBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal