Author Topic: Bought my first SUP, cant wait to try it out  (Read 4745 times)

bluemarlin04

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Bought my first SUP, cant wait to try it out
« on: April 06, 2008, 11:15:30 AM »
I took the plunge and got a great deal for a board.  Im taking her out later on today to learn how and try out.  I surfed for years and this looked like something I could get into.  I surf on an area restricted to the general public with sick waves and lots of hidden spots that no one can go to.  It catches all north and NE swells here on Oahu. 

Heres a picture

what do you guys think?

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Bought my first SUP, cant wait to try it out
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 12:11:02 PM »
Welcome to the board and the life of SUP.  Very nice board.

gatorboy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 12:44:06 PM »
motopilot,

I hope to be a happy Wet Feet customer too!

That's a gorgeous board, no doubt.  My 175# ass would probably sink it though.  I can only dream of riding a board like that someday. 

You've got me curious as to where this secret location is.  By law, all Hawaiian beaches up to "the upper reaches of the wash of the waves" are public property.  That is, with the exception of military-controlled beaches.  My best guess would be somewhere either on Kaneohe Marine Corp Base or Bellow Air Station.

Have fun and congratulations!

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 01:36:23 PM »
I too, got my first SUP. It's a Jimmy Lewis 11' to go with my 220# frame, hopefully 210 or less in the months to come. I hope it's the right size, I didn't want to get one to big or to small. Everything I read directed me to pick the Jimmy Lewis 11'. This site is fantastic and helped me tremendously deciding on the board of choice.

I have a 27 year windsurfing background, advanced level, Maui, etc. Surfing experience in my teen years, been on the water all my life. My only concern is my battered body, with five knee surgeries, two shoulder surgeries (rotor cuff) with the shoulders being the most recent. The partial tear ( left side ) was eight years ago, complete tear ( right side ) two years ago.

My shoulders feel fine although I have no strength above the shoulder. I think I'll be fine as long as I paddle with arms below the shoulder. I'll mostly be paddling in the ocean off Cape Cod in mostly flat to 2' to 4' waves at best.

Anyone else out there paddling with gimpy shoulders?

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 02:20:33 PM »
Weed- a friend of mine is going for shoulder surgery- SLAP injury (superior labrum from anterior to posterior)- is that what yours was? If so, be sure to cut your paddle a little shorter so that you don't hit full power through the pull with arm over shoulder.... but you probably already know this.

And cool looking SUP board- tail's really pulled. Looks tippy but I'd love to try it! I'm 235 and have surfed an 8'0 SUB wasn't easy (or pretty) but it was do-able!

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 03:38:17 PM »
I don't actually remember the exact medical terms but that sounds familiar. I'm glad you brought up the shorter paddle because I haven't cut the paddle yet and didn't think of that. This site is great for information, thanks for mentioning that.

I'm 5'9' = 68" what would you recommend for height?

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 03:53:59 PM »
I don't actually remember the exact medical terms but that sounds familiar. I'm glad you brought up the shorter paddle because I haven't cut the paddle yet and didn't think of that. This site is great for information, thanks for mentioning that.

I'm 5'9' = 68" what would you recommend for height?

I am 5'10" and use a 78" Kialoa paddle.  Size work fine for all around and surfing . Have a second for surfing only (76"). 

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 04:08:12 PM »
I have a Werner Spanker which recommends 6 - 8 inches above head which would make that 68" (height) + 6" = 74"

I'm not sure how much to cut from that to compensate for the shoulder injury. I could go with the recommended height but won't be able to Gorilla glue the grip in case I have to cut it.

This subject may deserve a topic heading of it's own.

Kaweeka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 04:29:32 PM »
Hmmmm North Beach is only a 4.5 mile paddle out . . . take a small kite to drag you home and you are all set to be chased by the MP's all over the bay.  This was the sport on the other side of the point when I was growing up in Kailua and we used to paddle out from Castle's.  You can still get the stink eye if you paddle by NB on a surf ski and I'm sure you would get some action if you stopped to ride a few waves.

But winter is fast drawing to a close.  Seems to me the challenge this summer on Oahu is that all the "out of the way" spots are going to be full of SUP's - hope I can still find a few lonely waves.  With Iroquois Point open to the public even more "military" spots will open up for those on the west side  8) - the townies will just have to look elsewhere!

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 06:16:33 PM »
I was growing up in Kailua and we used to paddle out from Castle's. 

hey...me and byronmaui are from kailua too...did you see what they did to castle point?!?!?!...cant even get in there now anymore....bastards... >:(

Byronmaui

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 06:40:36 PM »
Congrats on the new board and enjoy the surf.

Steamroller it sucks what has happened to caste point. I loved zombies growing up and the hole in the fence.

Aloha

Byron

bluemarlin04

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 07:51:08 PM »
Congrats on the new board and enjoy the surf.

Steamroller it sucks what has happened to caste point. I loved zombies growing up and the hole in the fence.

Aloha

Byron
yup Zombies, the point and north beach were the spot when I was a kid growing up in kailua.  I remember fearing the MPS.  Now that Im in the Navy I have access without any fear of being in trouble.  There are so many un surfed breaks on the base because people cant get to them. 

I also found a nice shelf off hickam near the marina.  Im sure it breaks good so Im going to test that out one day. 

bluemarlin04

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 07:52:37 PM »
I was growing up in Kailua and we used to paddle out from Castle's.

hey...me and byronmaui are from kailua too...did you see what they did to castle point?!?!?!...cant even get in there now anymore....bastards... >:(
you can still surf castle point, you just have to walk down to it in front of the houses.  I remember surfing in the channel at black outs when I was a kid when the huge swells would wrap around the point.  Did any of you guys check out the other side of pyramid rock.  Mean ass break over there if you catch it on the right day near turtle back island. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 07:54:28 PM by bluemarlin04 »

Byronmaui

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 08:13:19 PM »
Blue I surfed the other side of pyramid's once. Fun and shallow. Modtly pyramid and North beach. It sucked having to be smuggled onto the base growing up but when the base was hitting zero crowds to deal with.

Aloha

Byron

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 08:25:57 PM »
holy crap ...i thought i was the only one who knew about that break next to turtleback...ive NEVER seen anybody else surf that spot.....does it even have a name??....good squid hunting grounds too....

ok youre sitting over the reef facing out to sea at blackouts at the entrance to the canal behind you...out in front of you to the left on the coral point is a good spot(another no name spot) but very shallow and very sharp...there USED to be a fishermans trail coming from the road cul-de-sac to an empty lot right to the end of the point...up until 1 year ago that is....they put a house there now....bastards.... >:(...

oh yeah thats a nice board too... ;D

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]