Author Topic: Upwind board?  (Read 2377 times)

rkdjones

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Upwind board?
« on: May 13, 2011, 01:49:18 PM »
I've been lurking, reading all the posts about 14' vs 12-6 boards.  I'm an inland-water fitness paddler (170lbs); I'm not particularly strong, but do OK.  I have plenty of opportunity to paddle almost everyday.  I tend to avoid the windy days (because I can).  The thing that would get me on the water more days is a board that is easy to paddle upwind.  Up till recently I thought it is all just the wind resistance of my body, but I keep picking up suggestions from paddlers that the board makes a pretty significant difference.  Right now I'm paddling my first board, a Starboard Big Easy.

What makes for a board that is easier to paddle into the wind?  Do I just look for a board with superior glide?

Robert

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Upwind board?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 02:30:43 PM »
Good question.
A displacement nose like the bark might help cut the on comming current/chop instead of just slapping over it, but i don't know the answer to that.
i feel like a standing body gets pushed against by the wind like a sail.

I would like to try out a surf ski to see how they paddle upwind and against current.

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 05:51:21 PM »
A displacement hull will be much better into the chop than the Starboard Big Easy.  What you have to be careful about is a really sharp displacement hull can really be a lot of work to control in cross chop, a least for me.  I prefer a softer displacement hull than the BARK if I have any chance of a cross wind or cross chop.  I would say something like the Hobie has a softer displacement hull than the BARK, many other out there. 

Going up wind is tiring, physically and mentally.  I find it is best for me to shorten my stroke, very fast turn over, and fast switch.  Do not let that paddle be out of the water.  Forget about glide because the only glide you will have is backwards.  Bend down a little to make yourself smaller and just keep power on. 

Have Fun, Jill

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 06:11:14 PM »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:14:01 PM by SaltH2Opaddler »
Custom Infinity BLine 7'8 x 26.5 89l
Custom Infinity BLine 7'11 x 28 97l
Custom Infinity Asym. Gun 8'10 x 27.5 110l
2016 Starboard Enduro Carbon oval stiff
Kialoa Methane(back up paddle)
5'10
175 lbs

rkdjones

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 12:47:07 PM »
The Wavejet looks interesting, but I don't think I am quite ready to go there.  I wonder what it weighs.  Robert

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal