Author Topic: HELP  (Read 2593 times)

Maltese Falcon

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
HELP
« on: May 12, 2011, 12:39:56 PM »
Hi everyone.
Ibought my first sup an 11'4 Bic, 32'' wide and 200lts volume a few months ago.
It's a good board but I feel that for 6footers I need something smaller.
I was thinking about a 10' board with a volume of around 160 to 170 lts. I need something that accelerates quickly since my local spot only lasts for a few metres however NE and SE swells are the best on the island. waves are leftys and I weigh around 75 kg.
Can you please help and suggest any boards and European suppliers who ndeliver to the island of Malta in the mediterranean

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 04:05:36 PM »
I can see why you're having challenges.  That's a huge board with alot of volume.  I'm not sure about supplier issues for where you're at in the world, but I would suggest going even smaller as far as length, given your weight (9ft or even smaller)  It might be a bit more challenging at first, but you won't be in danger of thinking it.  The key thing you need is something that will turn and manuever quickly so you can catch the wave.  I can imagine trying to get that Bic barge turned around would be a great deal of work.  Maybe something like the Starboard Element (9'8", 153lt) or the Blend if you really want to go bigger (11'2" 174lt).
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Halah Heart

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 04:23:33 PM »
I've been looking the Starboard's Blend myself.  Looks like a good all around board. 
Can't wait to try one, in fact it's my first choice for a board at the moment.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 05:01:30 PM »
At your size you can definitely go smaller. Even the blend is likely bigger than you want for a beach break. I loved the blend and I'm a LOT bigger than you and my skills are intermediate at best. It could be a good all-around board for you though. If your focus is purely surf definitely smaller...maybe even the pocket rocket. My buddy Mike loves his and he's about your size.
Naish has some boards to consider as well....Hokua 9-6 maybe.

starboard has a pretty good board finder on their website...enter your primary use, experience, weight, conditions, and stability required and it presents you with a list of boards that might fit the bill. Even if you don't go with a Starboard its a good way to get an idea for the type, size and volume of a board that fits that profile.
http://www.star-board-sup.com/2011/board_finder/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:12:35 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Aves

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 05:04:08 PM »
I have a Coreban Icon and love it. Its 10' and 162 liters... no idea of the availability in Malta
http://www.coreban.com/icon.html

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 07:41:26 PM »
Coreban Fusion at 9' would work great for you too. I'm 100kg with wetsuit and it floats me no problem and is super stable and loads of fun.

Hollis

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Elite Sup Performance
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 08:21:52 PM »
I have the coreban icon 10 pure, and it works great here in hawaii.  decent cruiser and good wave rider
Hovie Comet 14'
Hovie nomad 12'
Duane Ignacio custom 6-6
Mahalo!

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal