Author Topic: Carbon Fiber rail tape  (Read 4946 times)

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
Carbon Fiber rail tape
« on: May 06, 2011, 05:47:48 PM »
Purchased off Ebay a 12"x30" real carbon fiber with adhesive to cut for rail guards on my SIC Bullet. The sheet was $53 which I cut 2"x30" to cover the area most prone to get whacked! The 2 way tape is cushioned which may help absorb hits but thinner would of given it a better profile. Time will tell how this fairs in the elements. At least the the carbon looks cool!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Carbon Fiber rail tape
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 08:48:01 PM »
Slick. I see Carles has got a clear non-logo version of his railsaver now.

How do you like your Bullet. I'm waiting for mine to arrive in Oregon, jonesing for it while I paddle my absurdly heavy, much repaired F18.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 09:11:32 PM »
That Bullet sure is purdy!
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 09:24:14 PM »
Nice Takeo... Have you found that you are scoffing the rail at all below the seam?  I am.  Think I'm about 75/25 above and below the seam.  How about the edges of the carbon tape?  Sharp or what?

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 09:25:48 PM »
Oh and yeah that blue made me pissed at myself for not going for it.  Looks great.

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 03:33:10 AM »
I haven't noticed scuff marks below the center line but maybe cause it's white, I didn't notice it much.  The scuffs show up well on the light blue.   I'm using my paddle with a layer of plastic tape around the edges, but wanted to go without tape and didn't want to kill the rails on the board.  Funny how most of my scuffs are near the catch, all within a handspan area. 

The edge of the carbon rail guard is sharp too, which is why I chose to use only 30 inches and not 60 inches, figure if I climb up on the board, it won't be on the area where I have the guard.  If the edge becomes a problem, I may silicone the edge or something.   

I've owned an F14 and an F16 V2, the Bullet by far is the best open ocean board I've been on.  I'm quite sure this board will gain in popularity.  Curious to see how the import Bullets will be and what they'll be sold at.  I'm guessing the Aussies will have fun with this board.   We don't get bombing downwind conditions here in Hilo, usually disorganized stuff, side chop, side winds, etc.  When the wind picks up, we get big swells with no consistent pattern.  The Bullet doesn't pound like the V2 does in the chop and when it does pound a little, it doesn't resonate through the board because the carbon is so rigid.  Mark did a great job with building a rigid hollow board. 

The Bullet catches even the smallest of bumps, even when it's not directly from behind, in fact, I like to ride the stuff coming from an angle and just zig zag along, fun stuff! The Bullet is a bit more tippy than the V2, but what it sacrifices in stability, it adds to speed!  A couple weeks ago, I had my GPS watch and was hitting over 6.0 mph on the flats with top speeds around 6.7 mph.  Not bad for a planing downwind board.

As for the light blue, this board was pre-ordered by our local supplier.  When it first arrived, I wasn't too sure I liked the blue, but now I love it.  It really looks good out on the water but more importantly, it's one fun board to paddle! Stoked!

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 10:16:11 AM »
Takeo no moa extra?lol I like the old skool music on your FB with the bullet vieos. Cherry bra

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 01:52:58 PM »
Takeo no moa extra?lol I like the old skool music on your FB with the bullet vieos. Cherry bra

SUP NINJA,
My extras going to Steve for his F16.  Thanks for the compliment on my videos, I was going to post here, but didn't want to bore the forum members, maybe when I get more downwind footage.  BTW, I heard someone is getting a Bullet  ::)

The Carbon rail tape is holding up well so far.  At least I don't cringe as much anymore when I whack the rail with my paddle.  This carbon adhesive is not to be confused with the vinyl ones, this one is real carbon, hopefully more durable.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut