Author Topic: who is giving lessons?  (Read 2843 times)

captain twang

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
who is giving lessons?
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:12:24 AM »
hi guys, i was offered a used  wide board and immediately  i thought about starting a little company over the summer, giving private sup-lessons, just one person and me,  on the local channel. it is a very  safe location. no waves no nothing.  plus there is a cool bar on the waterside, where people can watch and get interested. i give a lot of guitar lessons, so i know how to get along with folks.
is this a good idea? or is this completely crazy? there is no competition  so far, i would be the first one.
plus it is a good excuse to buy a second board...
eddie

Rockbottom

Re: who is giving lessons?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 03:24:59 PM »
As long as you have enough experience and tech knowledge to answer the why's and how's of every aspect that you intend to cover, go for it.   I just have a kayak surfing lesson yesterday to an extremely intuitive, enthusiastic beginner.   I've got to say that if I hadn't gotten involved withe the ACA, I may not have been prepared for all of her questions with proper terminology in a way she could understand and put into use.   It's a big job and assumption of a huge liability, but if you're prepared...    Good luck.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 03:32:24 PM »
Captain--if you were a few thousand miles closer, and I had more time and $, I'd love getting some guitar lessons from you--your video on the other thread was great--also your Captain Twang graphic at the start. 

In parts of the U.S., combining yoga classes with SUP--doing yoga while floating on a paddleboard--has really taken off.  Maybe you could be the first to combine paddling lessons with guitar lessons. 

If your tax laws there are anything like ours, another advantage of giving lessons is that your new board could be a tax-deductible business expense. 

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 04:08:45 PM »
it doesn't sound too crazy... treat it more like an introduction. you can learn a lot from reading this and other informative sites, books or watching a dvd lesson or two. start off by being unofficial. if you are as isolated as it sounds there shouldn't be too many issues such as conflicts with other people on the water ie: boats or other boarders.

if you think about it most people just hop on without a minute of instruction. the more information you could provide the better off they'd be.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:11:19 PM by shapeshifter »
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »
Liability insurance? Waivers? Oh my!

I don't know much about that stuff but it seems like a consideration.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 04:54:41 PM »

if you think about it most people just hop on without a minute of instruction. the more information you could provide the better off they'd be.

That's how I got started and I was taking a lesson!  I was shown how to hold the paddle correctly, told to walk in the water, get on the board on my knees, paddle a little to get some momentum, stand up and paddle... that was about it except for the only safety message - "if you fall then fall away from the board and not on it!"...  The instructor felt it important to stress that because the day before one of the students fell on his board and blamed her...  Overall it was about 1' of talking & 1 hr 29 minutes of paddling (and falling of course)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:58:20 PM by AJR »

Praxis

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 05:04:49 PM »
Message me and I'll send you a couple of different waivers you can modify and use
"Hey you want to see a funny video" Jimmy

beaglebuddy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 01:08:03 AM »
Hey you guys, Captain Twang lives in Germany, not the USA land of the lawyers where frivolous lawsuits rule the day.
In Germany everyone is not walking around constantly trying to cover their ass for fear of being sued.
Only in the US is this attitude pervasive, kinda funny how everyone automatically went to the fear of being sued.
Tort costs as a percent of GDP in the US are over double that of Germany which has a loser pays system.
I think it's a great idea, help spread SUPing, the bicycle of the water.

captain twang

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 03:04:30 AM »
Maybe you could be the first to combine paddling lessons with guitar lessons. 
now i just need the waterproof amp and a floating, orange fiberglass guitar ;D
i slept over it, and  my enthusiasm  has gone down a bit. insurances and stuff. and time is sooooo precious.
i think i will start very lightly, no investments. if someone wants something  and the vibe is cool i can show him stuff. but i donīt feel like pushing it too hard right now.
 thanks for your input  folks,
 eddie

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal